Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC - to buy or not to buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC - to buy or not to buy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshwizard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Usually if it shows it is trying to find a signal it is is sign it works. If it is broken plugging it in usually has no effect.

My personal experience is that it can take ages to find a signal, so much so that I have found it useless on short trips. Others here have not had this issue.

I think a lot depends on where you live and the signal strength, you can manually set a frequency but I usually find it gives up and goes back to searching.

Shame as I could do with it working when I go to France and my Live Services don't.

Thanks MrT - I shall just have to keep trying. I have also tried setting a frequency (Radio 2) but as you say - it gives up!!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought the previous 014 version from eBay and in the couple of days i have had it I have found that it picks up a signal in less than 30 seconds, even with the cable hanging loose down the dashboard to the footwell area.

I have not seen any traffic hold ups displayed, however where I am and at the time of day I tried it, there were none showing on HD Traffic or the Highways Agency web site, nor were any given out on the iTIS application I have on my phone.

All in all, at the moment, I am quite happy but will reserve judgement until I have driven a longer distance, hopefully at the weekend.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RDS-TMC - to buy or not to buy Reply with quote

welshwizard wrote:
Been reading this correspondence and have ordered and received mine today from Amazon for my GO520. However, I have a problem - the unit has spent about 30 minutes trying to find a signal. Do you think its a "dud" unit or does anyone have any ideas? Sad

Near where I used to live - it just won't lock on if in the car no matter how long I leave it, but otherside of town (1/2 mile) no problems - of if I do it upstairs (using a usb lead for power, locked on in about 30 seconds)

When moving, especially I believe when moving fairly fast, it can take 20 to 30 mins to lock on (sometimes it won't lock on at all during 1 hour run)

It seems to work best if I have the TomTom in bottom centre of winscreen and aerial end stuck in top centre and allowed to hang loose
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RDS-TMC - to buy or not to buy Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:

It seems to work best if I have the TomTom in bottom centre of winscreen and aerial end stuck in top centre and allowed to hang loose

This is how I've got mine and it seems to lock on qiuckly, even at the first time when i plugged that in. Though, didn't drive far yet so, can't say much either.
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived from Amazon today..

As usual it cant get a signal at home (I live in the sticks), At least i hope thats the only problem, it just "disconnects" after about 30sec.

Will test tomorrow on the M25 and M4
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshwizard wrote:
I have also tried setting a frequency (Radio 2) but as you say - it gives up!!

I don't think it is broadcast on the R2 frequencies.
It was ONLY on the Classic FM frequencies, but I believe there are a few more now.
Mike_A should be along soon... he has a POI file of all the frequencies around the country IIRC.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the RDS-TMC device picks up signals from Classic FM and quite a number of additional local radio stations such as Real FM (in the North West this was formally known as Century FM the frequency has remained the same 105,4 but the station has a new name) - in Liverpool you will get good reception from the Winter Hill based transmitter.

For other UK locations I would need to know the basic location town/ city to comment on the actual local frequency, but if anyone wants the POI file which gives you frequency information relative to your current location let me know (use the e-mail button below this post) and I will send a copy over - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 530 running 8.35 took around an hour to get a TMC signal yesterday, upstairs in the bedroom where I get the strongest signals. Once it found a signal, it kept updating all evening.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
My 530 running 8.35 took around an hour to get a TMC signal yesterday, upstairs in the bedroom where I get the strongest signals. Once it found a signal, it kept updating all evening.

Any serious traffic jam on the stairs, then Question
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using it with an athermic windscreen. Does it work OK.

I have a 406 with one but it has a clear spot about 4inch x 2inch each side of the mirror. I've wanted one for ages but put it off because of the windscreen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Athermic glass then don't expect the RDS device to work in the car at all, the coating on the windscreen kills the FM signal. You could connect the RDS device to the cars FM aerial which will work and is a better solution to reception issues with or without Athermic glass - I wrote up a guide with a pictures covering how to connect the device to the car in This Thread - Mike
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mini usb TomTom receiver from Amazon and am well pleased so far.

It installed easily with my Go720 and the Icon indicating a signal turned solid green after some ten minutes.

My car is a Seat Altea and does not have an Athermic Glass windscreen.

Hope this helps

To mikealder - I did e-mail you re the POI for the frequencies but not had any response yet.

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whether it's of interest to anyone, but according to http://www.hotukdeals.com/ PC World are doing the older (non-USB) version of the receiver for £9.97 at the moment (if you can find a store with stock!).

I'm led to believe these old ones aren't as good as the USB versions, but for a tenner it might be worth a punt,perhaps?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:
To mikealder - I did e-mail you re the POI for the frequencies but not had any response yet.

I never received an e-mail, but I have just sent you the files to your e-mail address you have entered against your forum user name - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
I'm led to believe these old ones aren't as good as the USB versions, but for a tenner it might be worth a punt,perhaps?

As long as the device has a part number ending .013 (look at the small white flag near the plug for the number) then they are not too bad, in fact the reception you get with these is nearly as good as the mini USB style receiver.
These .013 receivers don't power off when you turn the ignition off which is something the mini USB style devices do, so they tend to keep a signal when you turn off the car for fuel etc unless you power the TomTom down - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: