Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What are the differences between a x20 & x30
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the differences between a x20 & x30
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AlandEi"]
Quote:

... they are in effect identical hardware, and it is due to this hardware, now working close to the limit of it's capacity with this new software on both models, that one small "glitch" in the software will cause it all to go pear shaped...

Alan.

Alan, you seem to be leaping beyond your knowledge there. That's quite a syllogism to say that software bug = limit of hardware capacity.
The units have not been slowing down, or failing to execute new commands, rather irritating SOFTWARE faults like clipping the end of voice instructions and longstanding industry issues with misbehaving bluetooth connections have taken the shine off a progressive upgrade.
ALG is excellent, new map displays and menus too. Voice commands for the most part are good and the carried over functions from previous updates.
Some menu trees have been irritatingly changed and we would all like some of the x40 options - which seem possible if TomTom write the software - other than doing the impossible - installing a SIM, the x20's would be close on x40's then.

The problems we are experiencing with the x20's seem to lie with bugs in the Navcore 8.3 - NOT inherrant hardware inefficiency or redundancy.
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alan, you seem to be leaping beyond your knowledge there. That's quite a syllogism to say that software bug = limit of hardware capacity.

I based my observations on the fact, that as each successive update has been released lately, the extra features have used more and more of the available RAM on these devices... to the point we have reached with the 8.3 navcore,.. some machines, particularly with the ver 8X maps using ALG, have less than 10Mb of free RAM when most available features are enabled... and even when the Loquendo TTS issue has been sorted for the X20 models, it will not alter the fact that these devices are now working close to the limit of the hardware

I have kept backups of all of the updates on my device from purchase, and checked this theory the other day by re-loading each one and testing, and sure enough, each update has used more RAM than the previous one.

I liken it to trying to run more and more powerful graphics apps. on an older PC... and random access memory was always an issue with graphics apps. in the past, until the advent of modern PCs with 1Gb+ of DDR RAM... and the sat nav is after all, a mini PC.

Alan.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:

The units have not been slowing down....

Oh yes they have!
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's your experience Andy!

I'm no great watcher of the RAM-meter Rolling Eyes , nor do I have multiple APPs going simultaneously. So, the PND performance is my interest - which works great for the most part - and doesn't appear to be about to fall over with the next refinement.
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with Andy_P and Alan that certainly my 920T is slowing down under the burden of the latest Navcore and map combination (8.30 & 8.15). So much so now that I have reverted back to 8.01 & 8.10. Apart from the obvious voice problems the screen update rate when navigating has slowed to a crawl Sad
Even my old Navman icn530 runs smoother/quicker (with better on screen graphics IMHO).
Shame, hope TomTom fix this because I'm rather fond of the 920T and it's features Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:

I'm no great watcher of the RAM-meter Rolling Eyes

Me neither... maybe once in the last six months
Quote:
nor do I have multiple APPs going simultaneously.

Me neither, sometimes have the Jukebox playing, but nothing else.
Quote:
So, the PND performance is my interest - which works great for the most part

So you don't find the screen refresh slower, like most/many people here?
With v8.300, my 720 is producing just about 2 screen updates per second. Under v7.221 it was about 3 per second. My old Go300 with v6 software and (more detailed) maps managed more than that.
Doesn't make much difference on a straight road, but it really struggles to get round a roundabout.

And that's before the screen freezes completely on some long voice instructions. Never did that on v7.

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

I dont see any of those ills at all. The screen rate seems about the same and I never see screen freezes.

The only issue was stuttering and that is almost all gone now.
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

It could rewrite quicker at roundabouts and complex junctions - I grant you that.

In fact, discussions like these have convinced me not to upgrade to the very latest map! I'll stick one back with map corrections and latest operating system, for the time being.

That said - I believe the Hardware is still robust, even if the free RAM is lower with ALG and better graphics in the later releases - RAM and the HARDWARE, in the case of a sealed unit PND, are not synonyms.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: