Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One V3 - deleting my "add new speed cam" ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One V3 - deleting my "add new speed cam" ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for all the good replies there.

Would it be possible to load the speedcam (and other POI) into my TomTom One V3 without using the TT Home software ??

I know i'm being a little paranoid here, but i think that a combination of TT Home and my PC ruined the OS on my last TT One (which i had to get replaced), so i don't really want to use any software with my TT One.

So, basically can i put speed cameras and other POI's on my TT One V3 just by pluging it into WinXP and using it as a removable disk ?. If so, then which folder do i put the speedcam (.ov2 ??) files and the POI's into on the TT One ?

Best Regards,
Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:

Would it be possible to load the speedcam (and other POI) into my TomTom One V3 without using the TT Home software ??

Yes, so long as you DON'T mean the TomTom-supplied speed camera database - that needs Home to download. The one from here is fine.

Quote:
So, basically can i put speed cameras and other POI's on my TT One V3 just by pluging it into WinXP and using it as a removable disk ?. If so, then which folder do i put the speedcam (.ov2 ??) files and the POI's into on the TT One ?

Yes you can. The ov2 data files plus their matching .bmp (icon) files all go into the map folder you want to use them with. As do the real voice alert files (.ogg format) if you want to use those.

There are full instructions HERE and a link to them is also on the camera Download page HERE

Voice alerts are HERE
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I un-tick the second one too - I don't see why Home should be running in the background EVERY time I turn on my PC!

But tomtom do want it running in the background so every time you update to a new version of home they helpfully switch this feature back on for you.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy !

Might as well make a backup of all the files on the TT One while i've got it plugged in - you never know when i'll need them !

Is it just a simple matter of selecting all files in the TT One and copy them to a back up folder on my C drive ? - i don't need to go into "Show all files and folders" or "show windows hidden files" do i ?

Regards,
Andy Smile
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:
Cheers Andy !

Might as well make a backup of all the files on the TT One while i've got it plugged in - you never know when i'll need them !

Is it just a simple matter of selecting all files in the TT One and copy them to a back up folder on my C drive ? - i don't need to go into "Show all files and folders" or "show windows hidden files" do i ?

Regards,
Andy Smile

I always advise people when making an Explorer backup to do exactly that: show hidden folders/files and extensions for known file types. Better safe than sorry.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the TomTom FAQs post HERE?

Number one on the list is how to make a backup with Windows, but you should check out all the rest too Smile

We usually suggest that you set Windows Explorer (or My Computer) to show the three letter file extensions. It makes no difference to the copying process, but it can help sort out other problems if you can see EXACTLY what the various files are called.

In Explorer: TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS / VIEW Tab /
In the "Advanced settings" section:-
UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types"

I would suggest you also TICK "Show hidden files and folders" at the same time.... It does no harm (and is useful for general PC work) but there are no hidden files or folders on a TomTom to worry about.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy, i've done all that now, but i didn't have a folder on the TT One named "map" !! - am i right in assuming these .ov2 and .bmp speedcam files go in the "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" folder instead ??

I did put them there, but there is no way of knowing (that i can see) if the TomTom One "sees" them !

Best Regards,
Andrew
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that would be the proper folder.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself copied the sat nav data onto a spare SD card so I always had a copy which I could plug in the sat nav SD card slot in case of problems and operate the device from there
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the good info John,

Mine doesn't use an SD card (TT One), so i have backed up the original data to CDR (just in case !!!)

So, how do i know my TomTom One is "seeing" those speedcams i have just put on ?. I put some 30mph, 40mph, 50mph etc cams on, in the correct folder, but i cannot find them when i go to "View Map" ??

I used to be able to see them when i had TT6 on my Pocket PC, does the TT One do this differently ? (i.e. you cannot physically see the speedcams until you are approaching them in real life ?)

Best Regards,
Andy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Andy. I used to write just "the map folder", but as this confused some people, I recently started saying something like "the map folder you want to use them with" (as I did above) or "the named map folder" - obviously still not good enough!
Do you have any ideas on how I can describe it better? The problem is that it is not always easy to know the EXACT name of every map that every person might have on their unit, but as I must write it several times a week, it needs to be something quick to type!

Anyway on to your latest question...

You have to 'enable' the camera POIs to show on the map and (more importantly) to alert you as you drive towards them. It doesn't just happen.

To show them on the map you need to go to Change Preferences/ Show POI on map and select each individual category of camera by ticjking them in the list. If they are not in the list, then you've gone wrong in installing them.
Assuming that's OK, you then need to be sufficiently zoomed in to show every individual camera. The TomTom cannot hope to show every POI it has in it's system all the time.

Next, those FAQs I pointed you to have full instructions on how to set up the camera warnings. Follow those carefully and you won't go far wrong.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy (i'm really sorry to be constantly bugging you and others, your help is much appreciated ! - i did have a good read thro those instructions and they're very useful. When you say go into "change preferences" and "show POI on map", there are no speed cams in there, not even the ones that came with the original software !, it only lists "Airport" . . . . right thro to "Zoo", definitely no reference to "Speedcams" in there at all !

I thought the TT One came with pre-installed database (however small), of Speed cams, so surely wouldn't they show up in the "Show POI" menu ??

Best Regards,
Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm which speed camera database you are using? - is it the one from this site or is the TomTom offering as they operate in different ways and I am still unclear from reading the above which you you are using - Mike
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, neither my own database or the TomTom one which came with the Sat Nav are showing up in the "Change Pref" - "Show POI"

The ones that came with the TT One ARE listed under Change Pref - TomTom Safety Cameras - Change Warning Preferances, but the ones i put into the map folder are not listed anywhere.

My own speedcamera database is the one i got of my dad's SatNav, he got the 30.ov2 (and .bmp), 40.ov2 (and .bmp) ones from the net and they work fine on his Go300 and my Pocket PC, although it does say they should work on the GoXXX, TT One V2 and 3 etc.

I did find it kind of strange coming back home from work, there is a stretch of road which is a speedcam blackspot, but i never got any warning of these even though they are set to warn me 15 seconds before i get to them !.

Best Regards,
Andy

Best Regards,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the fact you are not seeing the TT-supplied ones. Although the files are still .ov2 format, TomTom decided to handle them in a completely different way (on the "TT Plus Services" menu actually).

If you are not seeing the "the other" cameras listed on the POI list, then I'm afraid you haven't installed them correctly.
Normal problems are:
not un-zipping the files from the download package first
not copying them to the right folder
trying to put them in a sub-folder

But if these are downloaded from the net, they are in all likelyhood stolen from this site, so unless you get a subscription and download them properly from here you will not have the latest upto date data, and also you won't get much help here!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: