Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 720 Screen dying...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 720 Screen dying...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Makes a refreshing change for the retailer to be so helpful, these days they are often too quick to fob people off with any old excuse.

As for screen calibration data AFAIK it is stored within the device but it is not something a user can alter or reset from the device as such, have a read of This for some information on screen calibration - but don't blame me if this messes up a device - Mike

If retailers were regularly as helpful as yourself, then the world would be a far better place Mike. So kudos to Halfords, Gateshead, for their good service today.

Final update for you all though... hindsight being what it is, luckily for me with the Exchange 720 not being in store, it gave me time to reflect and think on it.

And as a result, I realised the foolishness of my ways, in not using the opportunity to update to a 730 Traffic, for just £90 difference, and with it Version 8 of Navcore, and IQ maps etc (though the lane images thing still sounds a bit gimmicky to me, maybe).

So I ended up doing this, and am now the proud owner of a new Go 730.

Once I can scan my receipt, and send it to TomTom along with the Device ID, and they finally get around to adding it to my account (waht a STUPID system they have), I will be able to update it properly, and will be up and running again.

But in the meantime, it gives me plenty scope to do a full Windows Backup - out of the box, as I oft forget to in the past, and Mike et al will tell you, is most important - quite right.

So,

Thank you to ALL who have posted in this thread, with help and advice.
Well done all, be proud, keep up the good work, and my thanks again!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Once I can scan my receipt, and send it to TomTom along with the Device ID, and they finally get around to adding it to my account (waht a STUPID system they have), I will be able to update it properly, and will be up and running again.

Just use a different e-mail address for the new unit unless you have other TomTom related subscriptions such as GPRS Traffic etc - it will be far quicker than waiting for Monday to get the device swapped over on their system - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

Just use a different e-mail address for the new unit unless you have other TomTom related subscriptions such as GPRS Traffic etc - it will be far quicker than waiting for Monday to get the device swapped over on their system - Mike

Ah that's exactly it Mike - another two years Traffic subscription still to run, and a Western and Central Europe map amongst other things, so I need this on the existing account.

There's a point though - my v7 WCE map will not work on a v8 device, as far as I understand it.

So it will be interesting to see what TT Support elect to do, if anything, when I email them to point this out, when bearing in mind, this is in effect, a replacement for a failed unit, so any purchase I made, I should not be the one to be penalised for, or suffer as a result of, if you follow.

Whether it leads to a new offer of a v8 W AND CE map or not, only time will tell, and is sure to depend on how well I present my points and case (and we know how badly I can sometimes mess that up Laughing Out Loud )

EDIT: Weird, and not sure how the naming conventions work, BUT, it seems the Go 730 actually COMES with Western AND CENTRAL Europe map, whereas the Go 720 is just Western Europe. Now from my own posts about this before now, I seem to recall that the newly named 730 Western AND Central Europe Map, does NOT include the EXTRA Central Europe countries of the 720 version such as Czechoslovakia etc - I'll play and see.

I just thought that given the cost of a new map for a 720, I might as well pay the same, and get a whole new 730 instead.

AS A RESULT...

FOR SALE: Brand New unused, latest version, TomTom RDS-TMC receiver, as I don't need it with the new Traffic TomTom 730 I have just acquired, as I have two years Phone Traffic instead already.

£20 plus postage, to any that want it, if that's reasonable - I seem to recall it's slightly less than the last TMC receiver to be sold via this site, so it's not my intent to rip anyone off.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Shadamehr, can you give me an overview of the lane announcer thingy on your new 730 please? The number of times when I have been driving about in Leeds saying to Mrs.59, "Oh oh, we should have been up that one" well I've lost count!
I think that the intelligent routing may be a bit of a gimmick, but if the lane chooser works, the 720 might end up on e.bay!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Hello Shadamehr, can you give me an overview of the lane announcer thingy on your new 730 please?

See HERE and HERE

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "My TomTom" on the TT website, there's a facility to change your device. In "My Traffic" there's a button to Reset account that it says makes it possible to use traffic with the new device (I think). those might be worth a try.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
In "My TomTom" on the TT website, there's a facility to change your device. In "My Traffic" there's a button to Reset account that it says makes it possible to use traffic with the new device (I think). those might be worth a try.

Thanks mate - yeah the Traffic one is easy, but not exactly the same thing - it is however, how the whole overall process should work, just like CoPilot does.

What happens, is that if you choose the "Reset Traffic" option, the NEXT device you try and run Traffic on (Plus Traffic that is, not via TMC Receiver), then becomes the registered device.

So I already have Wireless Traffic working on my new 730 - handy info for those that never realised though.

My problem however, is that my DEVICE itself though, is NOT registered to my account, so cannot be used in TomTom Home, for Latest Map Guarantee etc.

There is no way around this, because if I set it up under a new email address, the option to "Reset Traffic", in my 'original account' would have no bearing on me then trying to run traffic on my new 730. At least I don't think so.

But certainly of no use in that the maps on my account would not be transferred either.

So this is why we have to wait for TomTom.

An option in my TomTom account to Reset DEVICE, like CoPilot do, is what would easily fix this, when people get new devices - just go into "My Tom Tom" online, and choose "Reset Current Device" say for example.

Then connect your NEW device through TomTom home, and this then becomes the newly registered device, until you ever reset it again online.

How hard could that be - especially as CoPilot work this way, AND TomTom themselves use this - but only in respect of a Traffic Subscription.

Cheers for the suggestion too mate.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Hello Shadamehr, can you give me an overview of the lane announcer thingy on your new 730 please? The number of times when I have been driving about in Leeds saying to Mrs.59, "Oh oh, we should have been up that one" well I've lost count!
I think that the intelligent routing may be a bit of a gimmick, but if the lane chooser works, the 720 might end up on e.bay!

Dennis's links are useful methinks, so look there first.

But in personal terms, I can't really say too much, as where I live, I have to travel five miles south to reach the start of the A1 (M) to come across a motorway (unless you include the tiny stretch of A167 M Central Motorway in Newcastle City Centre, which I have not tried it with yet).

And as such, my regular journeys to work, south down the A1 (M) result in me coming off, on a standard one lane left slip at Chester-le-Street roundabout.

So not really the hardest junction in the country.

I was surprised to find that it was actually included though.

So I get a nice static image of Durham in the background, a one lane slip, and a two lane continuation of motorway to the right, with the flashing arrow telling me to take the one lane slip off to the left.

Laughing Out Loud

What I DON'T like about it, is that when you pass the slip (the point of no return as it were) the static image then jumps back to the map view - BUT, it's as if you are at the last place displayed before the static image, as my map view quickly has to 'jump' back to the right location you are now at.

It does this very quick, rest assured I am exaggerating it to highlight the behaviour. But it does it, nonetheless, which I find a bit daft.

In terms of IQ Routes, mmm, I have to say, it's been a surprising experience indeed.

It still does not get EVERYTHING right, in that local knowledge still wins it out for me on some key routes I do.

But is has actually been refreshing to see TomTom try and route me via more what I would call 'back-streets' while in Fastest (IQ Routes) mode, where my 720 wouldn't dream of offering anything but main roads, where fastest routes is concerned.

And indeed, many of the new suggested IQ Routes, are indeed exactly the little local rat-run or at least 'off the main roads route', I KNOW myself to take, to save time.

So in that sense, it's been a minor revelation, and I am impressed. It's only one weekend old though remember, so early days.

I am sure that the advent of more up to date data for IQ Routes, will help make the suggestions even better, as I reckon this data is still a bit 'historic' (old), as some seem to feel.

Problem is, I just KNOW that the only way we will benefit from this in future, despite it being US that are freely supplying TT with this info, will be through a newer map purchase as they are released.

Oh well, still, that's the future for you Laughing Out Loud

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: