Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom720(T). Just Pootling about.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short, I get those false warnings quite regularly on motorways. Clearly, my warning should not sound for Specs cameras on the opposite carriageway, but it does for some and not for others. Of about six Gatsos on the M4 approaching London, all are eastbound, but I get a couple of false warnings on my way home westbound. I have my warnings set at a mere 300 yards, so it is mega rare for any far carriageway camera to be within driving range proximity. I think TT has some (weird) combination of route and proximity. I've learned to live with it.

We might overcome it (or might not) by moving every such camera a few feet off the road, but I wouldn't fancy the job and in any case, it would probably jigger up all the many other non-TomTom devices.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaveNN
The Oxford dictionary says…Pootle is to move or travel in a leisurely manner. Er! Are you sure you need speed camera warnings?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Not sure you're strictly correct, shadamehr.

Close to where I live the A34 runs from Solihull southbound to the M42. On this stretch there are two Gatsos on each side of the road. Under old versions of TomTom, I used to get warned about the 2 southbound cameras, and 1 of the northbound cameras.

My assumption was that this was because it was technically feasible to drive round a roundabout and back up past this northbound camera within the 300 yard limit I had set for such fixed cameras. This could be deemed as being similar to your sudden exit off the motorway example.

Conversely, it was not possible to get to the other northbound camera within the 300 yard limit by means of ordinary roads.

With later versions of TomTom, I now get warned of all four cameras, so it is clear that the proximity range has been increased to gather up all nearby POIs. I suspect (though I haven't found one yet) that it will be possible to find an example of a POI outside the proximity range, but still within the POI warning limit that has been set.

Not sure you've strictly UNDERSTOOD me mate either *Laughing Out Loud*

As what I was talking about was "How it isn't but could be", not how it is.

So all the behaviour I describe, is what COULD befall a user, IF it worked the way which it DOESN'T.

That is, TomTom does NOT allow only alerting for Cameras only on Current road.

What you describe is entirely true, and entirely correct - that is how TT does work, but what I was talking about is a problem that could arise, if TomTom DID allow only for alerting of POI's on the actual CURRENT ROAD only.

I was describing a hypothetical situation, and a problem that would arise as a result of it, in response to some people's desires for TomTom to actually work said way.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion, and the CAPS is not shouting, but simply INTONING relevant key words, rest assured.
------------------------------------------------------------
Also... in terms of what you say, again, I don't think you've got it right mate, in terms of your first suspicion (said nicely for sure), in that what you describe has nothing to do with Cameras being ON current Roads, as the point is, TomTom doesn't operate that way.

Cameras are only EVER notified to you by TomTom, based on proximity.

So if it did it on one, but not on another, it's simply because of the Proximity Setting. This can be set by the user, but I am not sure what it is by default.

But in your case, it's likely simply a case that the proximity range, as you say, was different from one device, to the other. Nothing to do with being ON actual roads, as you suspected might be the cause, as TomTom doesntt work on "Current Road Only" alerts mate.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are knowns and there are unknowns. There are also unknown knowns and known unknowns. etc.

shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
There are knowns and there are unknowns. There are also unknown knowns and known unknowns. etc.

Dennis,

I remember something along those lines whereby a Mathematician was being quoted when asked how they can use Math to explain everything in the universe.

Don't suppose you can recall the quote, article or such can you please?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if he stole it from someone else, but:

The Unknown
As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

US Secretary of Defence (and torture) Donald Rumsfeld—Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defence news briefing.
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Dennis,

I remember something along those lines whereby a Mathematician was being quoted when asked how they can use Math to explain everything in the universe.

There's always this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_to_Life%2C_the_Universe%2C_and_Everything

Not sure if that's what you mean though.

Smile
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

Is this what you were looking for?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this guy Rumsfeld? I'm gonna sue him for breaching my copywriter. Alas. Evil or Very Mad

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia dates it back to the Pentagon in the 1960s
Quote:
This was not, apparently, original, having previously circulated as a photocopy within the Pentagon during the 1960s.

These definitions won the 2003 Foot in Mouth award from the Plain English Campaign, and are also hailed as an example of found poetry.

Do you have proof of Copywriter ownership?

Anyway, we digress - the topic was somewhere yonder
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Wikipedia dates it back to the Pentagon in the 1960s
Quote:
This was not, apparently, original, having previously circulated as a photocopy within the Pentagon during the 1960s.

These definitions won the 2003 Foot in Mouth award from the Plain English Campaign, and are also hailed as an example of found poetry.

Do you have proof of Copywriter ownership?

Anyway, we digress - the topic was somewhere yonder
That proves it!! My copywriter was my dear old granny, who died in 1961, shortly before she bequeathed the saying to me, together with the famous saying "Turn around when possible".

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem, can we head back in the direction of the topic now Confused
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

Also... in terms of what you say, again, I don't think you've got it right mate, in terms of your first suspicion (said nicely for sure), in that what you describe has nothing to do with Cameras being ON current Roads, as the point is, TomTom doesn't operate that way.

Cameras are only EVER notified to you by TomTom, based on proximity.

So if it did it on one, but not on another, it's simply because of the Proximity Setting. This can be set by the user, but I am not sure what it is by default.

But in your case, it's likely simply a case that the proximity range, as you say, was different from one device, to the other. Nothing to do with being ON actual roads, as you suspected might be the cause, as TomTom doesntt work on "Current Road Only" alerts mate.

I may have agreed with you, as I thought this initially as well - However the warning I received for the camera on the opposite side of the road appeared as I was passing the camera (i.e. about 20 yards away as the crow flies) but gave a distance of 300 yards. This distance decreased as I moved away from the camera, and towards the roundabout that I could have used to turn back onto the opposite carriageway.

However, it's all a bit academic now as the proximity alert distance has now been increased, and the above situation no longer occurs for this particular camera.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: