Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Please-backup problems with new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Please-backup problems with new maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl911
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you ever got the new 2GB card to work in the TomTom One with another map installed to it? - the reason I ask is this could be a slow read speed card that the TomTom is actually rejecting, the files in the map folder don't look any different to what I would expect to see - Mike

Only bought this card a couple of weeks back and i put my gb maps on it to test it,ran it around for a week and it worked fine. Cleared it off and tried to put the usa maps on it...so here we are...
jl911
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official answer is in from Tomtom.The new USA/Can sd card would appear to contain an embedded security device which prevents copying of maps to any other card. You can back up though as long as you copy back to the original TT SD card..fair enough..I'm happy.

See official reply below..

If the map has been copied to another SD card, the certificate doesn't match the original SD card ID so you will get the error message (NO Maps Found) because the certificate is based on the SD card and not the device code. In order for the map to be recognized, you need to use the original SD card.

If any of the files on the Card become damaged, you can still restore a backup as long as it is copied to the original SD Card.

If anything happens to the SD Card it can be sent for repair.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming that, it would appear TomTom have finally decided to use the Secure part of what the "S" in "SD" stands for, the activation will be locked to the specific card it is issued with.
This does have certain limitations such as copying to a larger card, but it also should allow the map to be used in other devices without activation unless they have become very "cute" with the activation, but I am not surprised at this move to be honest - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: