Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go GPS MPH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go GPS MPH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you say is true then you need to get the speedo calibrated.

The other explaination is that you have put non-spec tyres on (i.e. larger tyre size) which will put your speedo out and make it read lower (more distance for each rev of the output shaft).

Eg if the 'stock' tyre is 185*60 16inch and you fit a 225*60 18inch you'll end up nearly 16% out (slow) on your speedo.
Mark_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Everything on the car is OE, as I said its 3 months old it came with the standard Alloys 17inch with 205/50x17 on them. I understand the mechanical side of this, because my Job was a car mechanic before an accident that’s how I got mates at the dealership. Like I said I will take the workshop Forman out with the GPS connected to show him how far the calibration is out on the cars Speedo.

Cheers,

Mark
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what he says mate, as it cannot by law, show a speed LOWER than what you ACTUALLY driving.
tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Under EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39)
I'm still English at the moment, I'm putting off becoming European until the day I die. Very Happy

On a more serious note, how can the directive relate to us and MPH when it shows 10% +4km/h, there's no such thing as km/h in England or has the Britsh Law on Imperial measurements been repealed under some other EC Directive? e.g. up-u-2-brits.

Maybe it's about time that the brits adapt to the rest of Europe...? Laughing
In the remotest of chances that question was serious, the EC Directive is UK law via being incorporated by reference into the amended Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. And the only legal definition of a mile is through the number of inches (63360) times the legal inch which is defined as 2.54cm. So the mile is really defined only in terms of the km and it has no legal independent meaning.
Tony
Mark_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a chat with my ex colleague at the dealers and also had it confirmed with the manufactures, there is nothing you can do about it, there is no recalibration on the Speedo as it is done at the factory. Myself I can’t believe that, but there you go.

I will now drive looking at the GPS Speedo.

I wonder what would happen if I did get pulled and I said I was doing the correct speed looking at my car Speedo and then the car Speedo was check, interesting thought.

Thanks anyway,

Mark
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't fob you off with that. If your car speedo is reading lower than your true (ie GPS speed) the car is illegal and, if they can't recalibrate the existing speedo, they must give you a new one. The car is not legal to drive, so they need to give you a replacement vehicle while yours is being fixed
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Mark_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
They can't fob you off with that. If your car speedo is reading lower than your true (ie GPS speed) the car is illegal and, if they can't recalibrate the existing speedo, they must give you a new one. The car is not legal to drive, so they need to give you a replacement vehicle while yours is being fixed
Robin

It’s ok Robin,
I am not leaving it like that, a call has gone in to the chief executive of customers service of the manufacture, stating the reply we got, also I have a mate who is in Traffic to get his view on it and also to get all this in written.

Mark
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meantime you could drive along at 30 then 40 then 50, with a friend or relative driving behind you watching their speedo to see any difference.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the C-Max instruments are like my previous Mondeo you can put into diagnostic mode and see a digital readout of speed.

I think you pressed in the trip reset button and held it whilst the car was started. Keep holding it in and the needles will shortly all move around clockwise and back to "zero". You are now in diagnostic mode.

Pressing the trip reset button a few times moves you to have the LCD display show your speed in MPH. This changes in realtime and the analogue dial moves slower. On the Mondeo I found this to be pretty close to tomtom speed but not the analogue dial indication of speed.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking into account that most police vehicles or Gatsos etc. are correctly calibrated but not all. Has anyone out there sucessfully used GPS as evidence over a speeding offence to help prove their actual speed.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
Has anyone out there sucessfully used GPS as evidence over a speeding offence to help prove their actual speed.

But it would still be your word against theirs, as only you were looking at your GPS display.

And you can guess who's word the magistrates would take!
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very true Andy, but GPS could possibly have been used to cast doubt on the equipment used and help towards an argument for bad calibration. Taking into account that any caibration certificates were either lost or out of date.

All subjective I know but just wondered if anyone had tried.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

tgold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
D4VE wrote:
Has anyone out there sucessfully used GPS as evidence over a speeding offence to help prove their actual speed.

But it would still be your word against theirs, as only you were looking at your GPS display.

And you can guess who's word the magistrates would take!

Of course, they may take your word about looking at your GPS instead of the road and add the count of driving without due care and attention. Own goal?

But anyway, why do you believe a GPS display would differ from the measurement by a GATSO? That suggestion has a whiff of paranoia to me.

Tony
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not speed (or go above speed + 10% + 2mph) then you should be fine. But only if this is the indicated speed. If you drive at a GPS speed of say 70mph + 10% + 2mph on a motorway then the indicated speed will be a lot higher and you're in trouble.

And if you go faster than speed limit + 26mph you'll visit the magistrate's court, e.g. 97mph on a motorway.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to point out to any traffic cops that may be using or browsing these forums that my cruise control is always set at, or below the 10% rule.

Laughing Out Loud

Dave (real name witheld)
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: