Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help... TomTom's own Cameras, to Custom POI's - possible???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help... TomTom's own Cameras, to Custom POI's - possible???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, group hug Wink

Now on a less serious note, when we dropped the monthly sub we expanded the qualification criteria to attempt to sweeten the bitter pill!

You may find the subscription fee excessive and I can accept that, but if you found and reported a new camera or corrected incorrect information such as speed or type for an existing fixed camera you would as a subscriber qualify for a lifetime subscription if you were the first to file the report.

Some 20 or so members qualify each month, perhaps on your next jaunt to Scotland you can keep your eyes peeled?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ok, group hug Wink

Now on a less serious note, when we dropped the monthly sub we expanded the qualification criteria to attempt to sweeten the bitter pill!

You may find the subscription fee excessive and I can accept that, but if you found and reported a new camera or corrected incorrect information such as speed or type for an existing fixed camera you would as a subscriber qualify for a lifetime subscription if you were the first to file the report.

Some 20 or so members qualify each month, perhaps on your next jaunt to Scotland you can keep your eyes peeled?

Ok boss, on that very note, and back on track, after my warming group hug, can I ask some proper advice that you are sure to be able to help me with then.

I notice that inbuilt into my Tom Tom, there is something for reporting a new Camera or something like it.

How does this differ to the Tool or thing you have on this site for that purpose?

Is the tool available on this site, specifically for reporting to OUR database (see, I feel more at home already - but for the avoidance of doubt, all I mean by "our" is ours from this site, not 'mine', not me having yet added to it etc *Laughing Out Loud*).

I take it that that tool is a perfect way of getting stuff reported for here, whereas the one already on my tom tom, will only report it to them direct via mapshare or something?

If that's the case, can I use this site tool for recording locations of my own for other things, in any way as an add on benefit?

Or moreover, am I being a right pain, and there is already a forum thread about the reporting tool?

If so, can you whack me over the head with my express permission this time Darren, and refer me to it?

Thanks, and here's to peace and love....

S.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, I am one of those people that reported the removal of a camera and did get a lifetime subscription from PGPS so it is worth a try. Smile
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Also Darren, spotted the POICapture Forum, so I'll go look there.

Cheers all.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera reporting tool built-in sends data straight to TomTom. Although quite what happens to it there is any ones guess!

Their database is laughably poor in so many areas, cameras that have been removed some years earlier still being shown and cameras that have been in place for two years still not on their database!

Here the plot thickens. Previously TomTom made available and SDK so that third parties such as ourselves could author plug-ins for TomTom Go's. To this end we created the POICapture utility which allowed for simple two tap recording of cameras.

TomTom withdrew support for the SDK across the board when version 7 was released (as runs on your 720) and so POICapture no longer works.

So for now you can either manually record locations for later reference perhaps saving as a temporary favourite or use QuickMenu and select the Map Error option to give you an easy facility to record the location. Yo would still need to note down at the end of the trip (or when safe to do so) what the camera was, speed limit etc.

We are looking at work-arounds now that the SDK rug has been pulled from under our feet but it may take some time it is possible at all.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fivepennyworth...

The TomTom reporting tool only allows you to ADD a new camera position. There is no facility to edit the position, change the camera type, or request the removal of one that is wrong.

In the absence of the POI Capture reporting tool, the easiest way to report new cameras is to save the location as a favourite or a POI and then use a form on the main camera page to send it in.

I don't know if you can see the form before you subscribe, (the site shows you different content depending on your status). If you CAN see it, just click on the image of a speed camera on the left or right of this page.
The form allows you to enter a new camera by either pinpointing the position on a Google-type map, entering the Lat/long co-ordinates direct from your satnav, or uploading a POI file.
If you just want to change the details (camera type, position, speed limit etc. you can just enter the cameras ID number and the details in drop down boxes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
I take it that that tool is a perfect way of getting stuff reported for here, whereas the one already on my tom tom, will only report it to them direct via mapshare or something?

If that's the case, can I use this site tool for recording locations of my own for other things, in any way as an add on benefit?

Darren and Andy have mentioned creating a "Favourite" when you want to record something, which you can subsequently convert into a POI on your own TT device. You can use that method to create anything you like. If you want to do it for cameras which you come across, good luck to you - the pgpsw site has been doing it for years, so you've got some distance to go.

Here is word by word method (up to creating Favourite) by a very quick, one-touch method.

In Change Preferences, 4th page, select Quick Menu Preferences

Then select the Add position to Favourites, then select Done.

This will put an icon on your device screen for adding your present position as a favourite - tap it and the TT will record your position as a favourite, which you can then visit later and do what you will with it.

You will only get this one tap option if you do NOT add any more items to your Quick menu.

Perhaps Andy or somebody else will tell you (I've never done it myself) how to convert a Favourite to a POI - you deserve it for all the £16 or so you've paid into the site.

Just in passing, the free membership criteria include one important factor which you should not overlook - you must be a currently subscribed member at the time you submit a qualifying report, so you can't bypass the annual subscription by reporting a new camera etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add favourite on the quickmenu as above-
Advantage= one screen tap to save it.
Disadvantage= no chance to name it.

Add favourite from main menu (Menu page 2/ add favourite /page forward / GPS position ) -
Advantage= you can give it a descriptive name (eg "Gatso 30") before you save it.
Disadvantage = more button presses.

Convert a favourite to POI = Change prefs / page forward / manage POI / add poi / choose category / from favourite / pick one.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Dennis...

Thanks for the info - and the screenshots, which would have took time and effort.

Just to point out, my whole reason for asking about this, is in terms of ADDING such items to the relevant Databases on here etc. Starting my own, is the opposite of intents *Laughing Out Loud*

Easy does it though tiger...

We're friends now remember.

On which note, it's actually £35 paid in, and was prior to your post.

Hope that offers you some extra comfort given that you are kindly helping me.

So genuine thanks.

@ Darren...

Darren, I'm reading between the lines in another thread, as to you current or previous occupation. ("Review" rather than "Gazette". For me my nice bed time reading was actually Butterworth's Law Primer)

If I read it right, I'm sorry if we got off to a bad start. Maybe it's the personalities thing - namely I too did that job for a number of years, my younger brother still does it, and my Uncle is a Ch. Supt.

I am reading your post right, elsewhere yes, this is what you used to be I read it?

If so, I'm sure your knowledge gained was useful in running this site.

If I have it all wrong, then apologies for even insinuating you could have ever belonged to the Dark Side of the Force Master Jedi.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

Well I apologise - I'm well known on this site for my lousy maths. I got it wrong - from Feb 2006 to Aug/Sept 2007 the database was charged at £2 a month and you said you only took it 3 or 4 times a year. So allowing Feb to Sep 2007 as a full year, that would be about 8 downloads at £2. But it's over 50 years since I passed GCE in maths, so you'll excuse me, I hope - I usually use a spreadsheet to do my add-ups and take-aways these days, but on this occasion I let myself down. Sorry. (Maybe it's the £16 I guessed, plus a £19 annual join-up fee since 5pm today?)
Quote:
Please don't misunderstand me. I still wish you'd give your keyboard a well-deserved rest and shall continue to hold that opinion until I see you doing a full blown apology for your earlier rants. That's an attitude I claim to be allowed for having survived to my present ripe old age - I'm an obnoxious, crusty old B*****D.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

@ Darren...

Darren, I'm reading between the lines in another thread,...

yes, darren was a copper - well, someone had to be...

MaFt
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

Well I apologise - I'm well known on this site for my lousy maths. I got it wrong {then snipped} (Maybe it's the £16 I guessed, plus a £19 annual join-up fee since 5pm today?)

Exactly it, exactly what I was alluding to, and all that that means in relation to how I think matters have progressed.

Quote:
DennisN wrote:
Please don't misunderstand me. I still wish you'd give your keyboard a well-deserved rest and shall continue to hold that opinion until I see you doing a full blown apology for your earlier rants. That's an attitude I claim to be allowed for having survived to my present ripe old age - I'm an obnoxious, crusty old B*****D.

That's all right - that's why we'll likely get along on a grudging 'acceptance of each other, and the situation' - as I too would love to see an apology for your own bad posts earlier too, but like you in terms of my apology, I know that will never happen either *Laughing Out Loud*

And I suspect you are not half as crusty and obnoxious a b**** you would have me try to believe - I have read loads of existing posts on this site now, and in many of them, you are (sorry Dennis, I have to shatter your cold, heartless veneer), actually extremely humorous, and oft very helpful.

So definitely we agree to disagree over this, but I don't for one second think that there won't be future times that some of your posts or replies are actually warm (ok, ok, at least not frosty *Laughing Out Loud*), and certainly oft humorous.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

@ Darren...

Darren, I'm reading between the lines in another thread,...

yes, darren was a copper - well, someone had to be...

MaFt

Well ok, apologies in advance (or retrospectively actually, as it's what I was, not am), for the very same reason on my part *Laughing Out Loud*

Please tell me he wasn't TRAFFIC though.... now even I wasn't one of those (though did do six nightshifts on attachment at one stage, but these were the days before speed cameras were even prevalent).

I think it's class though - from Local Constabulary, to Editor of a Speed Camera site - now that IS fitting in a humorous sort of way...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes I was a Traffic Officer Laughing But as a confirmed petrol head there was really no other choice for me!

And as you may well know, quite a large percentage of serving Traffic Officers have a deep dislike for safety cameras. They don't educate drivers, they can't give warnings and advice in lieu of a FP etc etc. What they are is a cheap replacement for policing.

Even the Government have given their approval for the use of GPS based warning services such as ours Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: