Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 520 safety cameras not showing up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 520 safety cameras not showing up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get that far, the TT just sticks on the splash screen now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you TRIED plugging it into the USB cable?
Have a go...
(The USB connectivity is enabled in basic hardware. The TomTom program doesn't need to run.)
dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, yes. I can access the device directly from the PC. TT Home only partially works with it and standalone, the TT doesn't work at all.

But I can see all the files on it. What I would say now though is the camera files are not a major concern, as although I can see all the files on the TT, nothing else is working now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, we're winning.
Connect to the PC. Shut down Home if it tries to run
First, make a complete backup using Windows Explorer. See HERE for details. This is boring but vital in case you get into further difficulties.

Once that is done, I want you to delete ALL the loose FILES (NOT THE FOLDERS or any files inside folders) from the Tomtom (again using Explorer.

Once that is done, you should be able to re-launch Home and download/install the software again.

Here are the full instructions from TT:
Quote:
After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the {x}.

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
• TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not:-
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc - Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device - Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.
dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Already done that but tried it again. It gets me absolutely no where. This is becoming somewhat tiresome. What a flakey product. You should be able to hard reset the damn thing. Well, TT are gonna get a call.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, do you not want to go any further here?
There has to be a reason why it isn't happening for you because that technique does work, but maybe TT can talk you through it better than we can in typing.
dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I more than appreciate your help, but either I'm missing something or this is not working for my problem. I've tried it several times and it doesn't work. One thing I have noticed is a data.chk file and the comments next to it is fragmented? Probably nothing.

Forgetting the camera issue for a moment, all these new problems arose when I did a restore from my back I had taken when I first got the TT.
So, one must assume that this has lost or over written something.

This really is a poor state for TT to get themselves into. There should be no way you cannot just reset the device back to factory settings. By not having a simple solution like that, they have opened themselves up to all sorts of problems, and indeed that would seem to be the case as this "recovery process" seems well documented.

I've spoken to them 3 times yesterday, today I will not let them off the phone until it's resolved or they arrange for it to be repaired. I'll be giving the process one more go before I phone them.

Firstly I'd like to just get the TT working again, then I'll worry about Home and it continually downloading the same application file over and over.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_1963 wrote:
One thing I have noticed is a data.chk file and the comments next to it is fragmented? Probably nothing.
You have to realise that Linux, the OS that TT uses, has a different usage for Filenames.

Never delete anything from the Device without asking what the File does. Windows always use the extension .chk for Recovered File Fragments.

You certainly would have problems if you deleted that one.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

Spoke to TT again, who suspect corruption. So they had me backup all the folders, format it, load the application then copy back the folders.

TT will now boot but after entering some of the preferences, it stops working at the speech setting and reboots itself, hanging again at the splash screen. Back with TT.

Sounds like a software issue somewhere. Maybe a corrupt file in one of the folders? Or maybe the app I'm downloading via HOME2.1 is the problem ( ie: maybe home is corrupting the update, certainly a possibility as all it wants to do is continually download the new app when I connect the TT. Looking at "items on my computer", I have 9 entries for the same app!!! ).

I have less problems with my PC! Infact I don't have problems with my PC ( that's gone and done it ).

Anyway, anymore suggests are welcome, in the meantime, we'll see what TT come up with.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_1963 wrote:
Looking at "items on my computer", I have 9 entries for the same app!!! ).
Try moving them away from the Download Folder. It could be that each time you are using the very app that is corrupt!

dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried, that, no help, but will keep and eye on it.

However, I think I have the problem?!

setting.dat

It shows as corrupted and although I delete it, as soon as I do another appears. Not sure what keeps generating it or why I cannot replace it with my backup version. But it would suggest this is the problem.

Any suggestions on getting rid of it? God knows how it survived the format, unless there is something else in the TT that does not get touched?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The settings.dat File is created by the software, if it doesn't exist, every time the Device Boots, and holds your .... settings.

It's one of the Files that are reset when you use Return to Factory Settings. I think it holds data relating to non Map specific data.

Which program is showing it as corrupted?

dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No program, as I have everything backed up now, I removed all files and folders, and replaced them with the backup I took shortly after getting the TT. It was while the settings.dat was being copied back that one already existed ( obviously recreated by the method you mentioned ) so when I chose replace, I got the error message about corruption.

I confirmed this by trying to read the file in notepad.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave_1963 wrote:
I confirmed this by trying to read the file in notepad.
Notepad will Open the file, but it can't 'read' it because it is not a Text File.

If you still have a problem then you need to format the Device. This will wipe it clean, so that when you copy the Backed up Files and Folders there will be no files to overwrite and cause problems.

dave_1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a go. With regards notepad, it could not open the file at all, say it was corrupt. I tried another .dat file and that opened up OK, although as you say, it's meaningless..

Formatting now, will report back. Shame TT don't reply as swiftly as you guys do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: