Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Warnings for opposite carriageway.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Warnings for opposite carriageway.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I set the Garmin to do the same?

Only if you use the Garmin database. They don't allow it for third party POIs.

Quote:
In Longframlington, there was no warning for GATSO:347@30

By default the unit will only alert if you are over the limit when approach the camera. Have a look at Ash10s Camera manager software to change the behaviour of the database - Click Here

Quote:
the PGPSW database was giving an alert for all (or nearly all) the GATSOs on the opposite carriageway. Is this a database problem or a Garmin problem?

The database admin would be better off answering this one.
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In Longframlington, there was no warning for GATSO:347@30

Quote:
By default the unit will only alert if you are over the limit when approach the camera. Have a look at Ash10s Camera manager software to change the behaviour of the database - Click Here

Thanks for your comments and quick reply.

I've used Ash10s software to set a first warning of a GATSO at 30 secs and an overspeed warning at 15 secs. This GATSO didn't trigger a first warning whereas all the others did. That's what leads me to suspect a database fault.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beefheart wrote:

In Longframlington, there was no warning for GATSO:347@30. Although the camera is active and shown on Google Earth, the database gave no warning for either direction for travel. This has been reported to PGPSW but, I wonder, how common these database problems are? I've never encountered anything similar in 2 years with the Talex Lite.

As the camera ID number you quote is the PGPSW one, it can't be a database error? If the spot is marked accurately the lack of warning can only be down to a quirk on the machine itself.
I've just checked on my machine, and running a demo route in either direction along the A697 through LongFramlington, that camera alerts fine.
The only reason I can think for why it might not on yours is incorrect heading info (see below).

Quote:
The A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen is completely dualised but, contrary to what has been posted earlier in this thread, the PGPSW database was giving an alert for all (or nearly all) the GATSOs on the opposite carriageway. Is this a database problem or a Garmin problem?

Again, ALL the database can do, is tell the satnav the location of the camera (and the heading info for models that can use it).
Does yours use heading info?

If it doesn't then the rogue warnings are again down to how the unit deals with the information it's given. I think some Garmins only warn if you are driving over the limit and TomToms, for example, are getting WORSE at ignoring cameras on the opposite carriageway.

If it does, then it could EITHER be for the same reason OR because those particular cameras have not had the heading data recorded correctly. Supply it and you could get a free life subscription (I'm not totally sure if heading info is one of the qualifying changes though, you'd need to check)..

Edit, Sorry Guys - I hit "Submit" but my post disappeared into the ether for about 20 minutes, so some is not relevant now Paul has reminded me that the Nuvi DOESN'T use header info for POIs.

However, my point about GATSO:347 still stands... If it is there in the database (at the correct speed) I don't see how it can be a database error if it doesn't alert you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its worth adding that whilst I appreciate your perception that the database is less accurate than that of the Talex Lite, this is not the case.

What you are observing is simply a feature of the way that your device handles custom POIs. We have very accurate and complete data but the method(s) employed by the satnav device manufacturers when using databases such as ours vary. Such issues are outside of our control unfortunately.
Beefheart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, Andy and Paul,

Thank you all for replying so quickly and fully. I too have simulated driving the A697 near Longframlington and can confirm that indeed the camera is present and a warning is given. Apologies for getting this wrong!

I've checked the cameras on the A90 using Google Earth and they all (most) show a heading of 0 (not 360). This suggests that the heading data is incomplete and might explain the false positives on a dualised road.

Paul pointed out that Garmin only allow direction of travel info for their POIs which would explain the false positives on single carriageway roads. Could someone else confirm that this is correct as it would compromise the use of the PGPSW database on Garmin GPSs. Again, assuming it to be true are there any simple (ie non-techy) workarounds?

Thanks again
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beefheart wrote:
I've checked the cameras on the A90 using Google Earth and they all (most) show a heading of 0 (not 360). This suggests that the heading data is incomplete and might explain the false positives on a dualised road.

If the heading data is correct (we record heading data for direction of vehicle) then please log a correction.
Quote:
Paul pointed out that Garmin only allow direction of travel info for their POIs which would explain the false positives on single carriageway roads. Could someone else confirm that this is correct as it would compromise the use of the PGPSW database on Garmin GPSs. Again, assuming it to be true are there any simple (ie non-techy) workarounds

That is correct, Garmin reserve this feature for their own database and there is no workaround. It doesn't stop the database from functioning and serving its purpose.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean:
Darren wrote:

If the heading data is (in?)correct (we record heading data for direction of vehicle) then please log a correction.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops Embarassed Yes that should of course have read If the heading data is incorrect (we record heading data for direction of vehicle) then please log a correction..

Thanks for spotting that and making me look a complete eejut Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: