Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trouble downloading new maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble downloading new maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 Please see your PM
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin

Check your PM
GO 920 Dead
nbg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Anita wrote:
Mick_1959 wrote:
Hi anyone else having trouble with downloading the new map.

Yes, I had the same problem, and stayed up half the night trying to download the map. I haven't tried yet this morning.

I'm still concerned about ending up with only the Canaries map available.

I've got a 4GB card in the 720. If, on the Home 'Welcome' screen, I select the card as the device I want to use instead of the internal memory, will it install the new maps onto the card and leave the existing maps intact in the memory, and allow me to select which maps to use?

If so, what other files do I need to copy to the card?

Well, after several more tries the download appeared to start satisfactorily at 13:50, with completion due around 17:15. Last time I checked it had 5 minutes to go. I've just checked again to see if it had completed, and found the message "Internal Server Error"! Crying or Very sad Grrrr Evil or Very Mad

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might have caused this?

I wonder how many tries it will take to get another download even started!

Getting exactly the same here, takes forever to download and then get the 'internal server error' right at the end, it doing my flipping head in!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbg wrote:
Getting exactly the same here, takes forever to download and then get the 'internal server error' right at the end, it doing my flipping head in!

While I'm sorry you're having the same problem, nbg, it's nice to know I'm not alone!

I reported it to TomTom via the website yesterday, and will phone them on Monday. I'll report back if I get anything constructive out of them.
Samsung Galaxy S21
gazza1066
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same happened to me 5 times now internal server error,each time i noticed that the map zip has downloaded fully but activation_map_50000.cab file is corrupt !!..so its just a small file thats stopping the whole thing Crying or Very sad tried a manual copy to sd card but the tomtom doesnt read the map,so im gonna call tech tomorrow as well,how can something so simple be so bad.!!!
StephenOrd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same here, same corrupt Activation file (shows as 0KB). Also tried a manual copy with no luck! If someone gets an answer from TomTom before I do, please post the results here! Sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's also missing the .meta.dct file in the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip folder.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Customer Suppost say it's because their servers are so busy with so many people downloading the new maps. Just keep on trying. Oh, and use a faster broadband connection! Doesn't she think I would if I could! Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You folk have got further than I have. I ordered the Western Europe map and got an order number and a message on the screen saying my payment had been accepted, then another message saying there was a server error so the map could not be downloaded. I later received an email saying my payment had been successful and I would receive download instructions in a separate email (which has not arrived)
Looking at My Orders on their web support site, my order for £39.95 is shown as Payment in Process. There is another order number for the same amount showing as Not Paid, but if I click on that for more information it says the order doesn't belong to me!
I telephoned their help line (thanks Anita for the number) and their agent couldn't find any reference to the order having been processed (although I have a confirmatory email). He promised to ring me back - I am still waiting.
So I am in the position of having paid £39.95 but the payment has not attached itself to my order, so I am in limbo! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Robin
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to get my broadband increased from 1Mbps to 2.5, and started a download of the W&CE maps at 12:30 last night, and when I got up this morning it appeared it had downloaded and installed to my 4GB SD card. Very Happy

The only files on the card are those contained in the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder (including Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB-7.meta.dct). Do I need to copy/download any other files to the card, or does it access the software, voices, POIs etc from the internal memory? At the moment 'Switch map' only offers me Western Europe or Canary Islands.

In Home (v2.1.2.121), if I select the card, then 'Update my Go', it just offers me 9 voices (the UK ones are Jane & Tim) and 'Share your map corrections', with Map Share map & POI updates marked 'No updates', and no offer of an application update.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Do I need to copy/download any other files to the card, or does it access the software, voices, POIs etc from the internal memory? At the moment 'Switch map' only offers me Western Europe or Canary Islands.

On an x20 model (but no others), you SHOULD be able to access a map on the SD card without having any other files on the card so the operating system is still running from the Flash memory.
I can borrow a card with a map on it to try in mine tomorrow, if it is any help. I know I won't be able to actually run it without an activation code, but I should be able to get as far as selecting it on the "switch maps" screen.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I can borrow a card with a map on it to try in mine tomorrow, if it is any help. I know I won't be able to actually run it without an activation code, but I should be able to get as far as selecting it on the "switch maps" screen.

Thanks, Andy, that would be very helpful. Smile
Samsung Galaxy S21
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still not in the position of being able to attempt a download. The promised phone call yesterday did not come, so I phoned again this morning. The agent discovered what I have known for some time-my payment has been accepted but my account has not been updated to enable me to download. He promised at 9am to escalate this to someone at a higher level who could manually change it. So far (5.35pm) nothing has happened
Robin
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
At the moment 'Switch map' only offers me Western Europe or Canary Islands.

I've just downloaded the new application for the 720, and I'm now able to access the new Western and Central Europe maps on the SD card via 'Switch map'. Very Happy
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just did my experiment anyway, Anita...

I took a (non-original TT) sd card from a colleague's Go300 and put it in my Go720. Pwered up and it DIDN'T see the map on the card when I went to switch maps.
I then tried a reset and after that it DID see it and allowed me to select it (as expected, it wanted me to activate it).

One thing I suddenly thought of, as it was re-booting.... As it was a Go300 card it will have had the entire operating system files on it. However, the 720 didn't seem to attempt to boot from the card at all, which is what I would have expected.
Anyone any thoughts on that one? Maybe the version of system is just too old for an x20 to use?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: