Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT1 3rd Edition - Save Your Own
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT1 3rd Edition - Save Your Own
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:
altho i cant see "A-B Advanced Planning" on there so looks like that might not be an option on the 3rd edition

Should be, but sorry, I forgot they've changed the text in v7 software, it's now called "A-B Prepare route"
It is there top left on the "normal" main menu page two:

and if you've installed Mike's custom menu it looks like it is still in the same place:
Quote:
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main menu 2 of 2|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:
Dennis - thanks for the "travel via Wandsworth" tip on the return route, i don't know any of the route really very well to know what to input as a via, i will try that

with regards to "create a favourite on route" - is that easy to tap in on the menu going at say 70mph along the motorway ?

It's very easy to tap yourself into an early grave at 70mph on the motorway, but you won't need to tap a favourite on one - either you want to be on that motorway (M3) or you won't (M25/M4). You might find it VERY easy to pull in to the side of the road and tap in a quick favourite somewhere more meaningful. Your "Southerner Smartypants Someone beside you" can tell you a good place to stop for this purpose. Or if he/she is vaguely bright, he/she could do the tapping for you on the move. Tip - DO NOT setup a favourite whilst on a dual carriageway or it'll take you backwards to get there. Tip - name the favourites AAA, then AAB, then AAC so that they come up first for selecting.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis

thanks for the "favourite tip" i managed to input a couple of those along the route while sat at some traffic lights and that seemed to help do the trick for the return itinerary plan with favourites as waypoints along the route

with regard to carrying on up the M3 past the M25 junction, i set myself a waypoint on the M25 just past that junction and thought that would be the end of it, but for almost the rest of the trip after it was "turn left" or "take next left" - was determined to get me either rerouted back onto the m25, m4 or a4 asap Laughing Out Loud - I'm gonna try out gardensheds recommendation of "tyre" for the return pickup trip next weekend

###

Andy

thanks, i see the a-b prepare route on the menu, no wonder they dropped the word "advanced" there's not much to it is there

###

General - how did i get on ?

well aside from the bloody tt turning itself off about 4 times on the way up and 3 times on the way back for a 37 mile reach-way trip - i'll have to scour the threads in a min as i'm sure i read i'm not the only one with this

the highlight of the day was prob hitting a pothole and having my location bump me across the other side of the road and 60 yds up a sidestreet - Laughing Out Loud

i got there using my front seat passengers knowledge more and coming back was a cool smooth run with the favourites in place

thx all for your knowledgeable replies, time & help Wink

TTOV3...
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot it aint got a sd ability Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
forgot it aint got a sd ability Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy

aye but i done as mike said and i've got itinerary back on my menu, so if this tyre thing saves stuff to your PC as ".itn" then i can still drag n drop to an itn folder on my TT without the need of an SD card

i thought you plan the route on your PC with GE and tyre first, unless are you saying the tyre soft has got to go onto the sd card and then work it from within TT ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:
Dennis

thanks for the "favourite tip" i managed to input a couple of those along the route while sat at some traffic lights and that seemed to help do the trick for the return itinerary plan with favourites as waypoints along the route

If the favourites got you home, they'll get you there. You need a favourite on the A316, so forget the previous and set up a favourite called AAA at Lat/Lon N 51.45433 W 0.33517. That's a point on the A316 which is not dual carriageway and with just that one favourite as a Travel Via, you'll do the straight line you require. (try a Browse Map, Find, Lat/Lon using those coordinates and you should get onto Chertsey Road next to Marlow Crescent and Glebe Side, then zoom out to get an idea of where it is in the global situation).

You can do this yourself in future by planning the route, then looking to see if the route details are what you like. When you want a favourite, zoom right down to megga closeup and take the coordinates from your device (Device doesn't show coordinates? - Go to Browse Map - Options - tick Coordinates and it'll show the Lat Lon at the bottom left of your screen). Sneaky, innit? Laughing

gardenshed's business about SD card was to use one instead of the device's internal space to store the itinerary - if you want to store a zillion itineraries (or other stuff as well) the internal memory is bound to get stuffed at some stage.

gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttov
tyre does work on the pc and you can save the resulting file either on the pc or tt as an itn file, sorry for the confusion Wink
TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis the/a menace you certainly are not, gentleman springs to mind,

many many thanks for the continued support and those co-ordinates - it did indeed work an absolute treat Very Happy

i do hope you didn't spend to much time on calculating ideal points along the A316 to eventually find a spot where it didn't take you off to the [M4,A4] left Wink

if i find "tyre" easier to navigate and create waypoints and entire routes because its on the fullscreen of the pc then i think i might still like to give that a go, as for space, an itinerary takes 1kb and i got 272,049 bytes still free so i'm sure an sd card wont be a requirement anytime too soon Laughing

once again, muchas gracias amigo Wink

TTOV3...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:
i do hope you didn't spend to much time on calculating ideal points along the A316 to eventually find a spot where it didn't take you off to the [M4,A4] left Wink TTOV3...
Well, TTOV3 (PS are you Russian?) I admit to cheating slightly - on my PC I did the route using MS Autoroute Express and also used it to find a suitable location on the A316. It took hardly any time at all ('ard Northerners are 'ard) - I started at the exit end of M3 and moved along until the dual carriageway ended. I expect it's do-able with Google Earth if only I knew how to pick up coordinates from that (but I'm merely 'ard, not clever).

HOWEVER, it is quite easily do-able with the TT (I did it to prove I didn't actually need MS Autoroute Express) in the manner I described - plan the fastest route, then Details, Browse Map of Route and put your cursor somewhere in the middle of the bit you want to go through, then zoom in to make sure you get to a tight location - you don't want the middle of a field or the wrong side of a dual carriageway. Then did the Find Alternative, Travel Via to see if it works (and it does).

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but when TomTom insists I use the M25 when I don't want to I just tell it to re-calculate avoiding the route excluding the M25 or whichever road it is. This is an option on TomTom's although as I don't have mine to hand at the moment I can't recall the exact menu option.

By the way TTOV3, we're neighbours of sorts Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
This is an option on TomTom's although as I don't have mine to hand at the moment I can't recall the exact menu option.

By the way TTOV3, we're neighbours of sorts Smile

It's Find Alternative, Avoid Part of Route. That gives a list of all the roads you'll travel along and in this case, selecting M25 to be avoided gives a perfect result. Trouble is, I've sometimes found the Avoid option sends you down an equally unpalatable route - this one MIGHT have turned right onto the M25 anti clockwise.

Does sorts live in Hampshire too? Cool

TTOV3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Darren [neighbour!]

any other options to help avoid the M25 are always welcome and indeed you are quite right in what you said - its load route - tap screen - find alternative - avoid part of route - which then displays the route as text and you select the road you want to avoid - it recalculates and job done ; altho i would almost swear i tried this the other day, but perhaps i forgot to save it as a favourite after the edit

6 days into ownership and im learning a plenty and fast thanks to all you good guys, 'ard northern b**t**ds included Razz Laughing

by the time my hopes of a uk tour come to fruition about next summer time i shall be master and jedi @ one with my (TT) one Smile

TTOV3...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTOV3 wrote:

well aside from the bloody tt turning itself off about 4 times on the way up and 3 times on the way back for a 37 mile reach-way trip - i'll have to scour the threads in a min as i'm sure i read i'm not the only one with this

Have a look at the last couple of pages of THIS THREAD in the TomTom section.
People seem to have worked out that it is the TomTom own-brand speed cameras which are causing the crashes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: