Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi download
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: POI downloads Reply with quote

chris-t wrote:
I'm trying to download several POI subcategories for a TOMTOM using IE 6, each time I download the POIs.zip file it only contains one file POIs which is 43k in size. Anybody have any ideas.
Try limiting the sub-categories to 22. This is a known problem.

If you need more than 22 sub-categories, then download them half at a time, and use something like POIEdit to merge the 2 downloads into 1 File.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
chris-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: POI downloads Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I've actually tried to download individual sub-categories and found the same problem? Just tried again, Brewers fayre under food and drink category, still same, zip file size now 7k unzipped 8k.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-t wrote
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I've actually tried to download individual sub-categories and found the same problem

This appears to be a problem different to the usual well discussed combined downloads, but having said that it would appear that sometimes the database downloads does have the occasional day off, I would suggest that you leave for a day or so and try again. I personally have never had a problem with individual downloads but note a few postings that have and they seem to have cleared within a day or so.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldboy wrote:
Quote:
The CSV File is easy to generate as the locations are just plucked from the database and appended.

OV2 on the other hand has to go the next step and convert the records in the database into a workable OV2 file. Apparently it requires a large amount of memory to achieve this. The nuts and bolts of it are over my head.

and me, but perhaps the problem lies in the main database and the conversion procedures, perhaps someone could enlighten the forum with the structure/procedure the conversion takes, I am sure thier is enough people that could then experiment and give opinioms to resolve this ongoing problem once and for all.
From your answer does it mean that the ov2 is converted from the csv file and not the main database ??
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
From your answer does it mean that the ov2 is converted from the csv file and not the main database ??
I was implying that the OV2 generation has to go the further mile to be created, where as the CSV can be created straight from the Data Array.

If you look at an ov2 file in POIEdit you will see how it starts in Cornwall (for GB POIs) and works it's way North in 'boxed' areas. Then it comes South and starts again. The country is covered by different shaped, and size, boxes. There is a max number of locations that can be in each box.

Took me a while to get my head round that bit. Rolling Eyes

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had previously noticed that when searchinh for particullar entries Richard, but I hadnt got the patience to follow the pattern and agree with what you say, but i cannot see the significance of the boxes scenario in what is purely a list, I also tried to check out a pattern in POIEdit and couldnt find one in iether Description, Longitude,Latitude or Degrees iether alfabetically or numerically, must admit it takes some getting your head around.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go a little deeper have a look at this http://www.licour.com/gps/poi_format/poi_file_format.html

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, See your point now on the squares and the Area records, After looking at that I dont think my brain could go any deeper at this time of night.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: POI downloads Reply with quote

chris-t wrote:
I'm trying to download several POI subcategories for a TOMTOM using IE 6, each time I download the POIs.zip file it only contains one file POIs which is 43k in size. Anybody have any ideas.

For a long time now I have been using Opera instead of IE. When I was helping Lutz set up the system I found that IE6 was very slow and Lutz suggested that I switch to Opera. Opera has worked well for me. When IE7 was released I tried it and I have been unable to get the tree on the download page!

As a test I have just used Opera to download all 65 subcategories under Food & Drink and all 130 files are in the ZIP file (65 ov2 and 65 bmp). The Type 1 records are used by TomTom to speed up the POI searches. This is particularly important when the files are large.

Why not try Opera, it is free Smile

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To combine all 65 subcategories into a single file I downloaded using the Garmin (CSV format). Then I used a utility to create the OV2 for TomTom. All right it is a two step process, but it works.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting way Oldie, It would appear to be a better way than the way I have to do it using the 20-22 limt download and having to download 4 times and then appending in poiedit and then multiplying by the number of categories, I will try this way over the next few days using ie6 which i am happy with because i deleted ie7 after first use i do not want to move to opera just to overcome a problem that has nothing to with these programs, Hopefully it may revitalise my waning enthusiam for the poi database.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie from your posting you obviously had no problem converting from csv to ov2, as a matter of interest what utility did you use.?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
as a matter of interest what utility did you use.?
Probably his own, POIConverter, or Makeov2. Wink

Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
aj2052 wrote:
as a matter of interest what utility did you use.?
Probably his own, POIConverter, or Makeov2. Wink

Very Happy Yes my own POIConverter. You will need to edit the CSV file to remove the semicolon at the start of the first line. Then open the CSV file as an AutoRoute CSV file in POIConverter and save as an OV2.

The other Richard Wink
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use version 2 of my WinOV2 then you need not remove the semicolon. I will alter POIConverter to accept the semicolon at the front of the header record some time.

WinOV2 v2 also supports drag and drop.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: