Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where to start - newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to start - newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barry23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul B for your info.
I've trawled the UK shop and emails them several time - I don't know how you did it but the number did point to a 2002 map (a wee bit old) but thanks for your efforts.

In the Medion shop I go to Accessories/PDA & Sat Nav/ Maps & sware/ then gave a choice of GoPal (where it states "currently no products available" OR go to /Navigator (which V2 has Euro maps only)?

I'm still unsure what our unit is equilivent to in the UK to order a map and have it sent to the family cottage where we will be staying. I am yet to persuade them to use their PC as I believe it's on DVD no SD card. In these days of purchasing software over the net how much easier to download by Visa or Paypal, but no luck!

Our unit "looks like" a PNA465 but has the "features" of a PNA500. Everything in the Medion GPSs are called GoPal, ours runs AE 2.3 software, has text-to-speech (poorly - "road"= "rrrddee" and "avenue" = "rrrvveee" - suspect trying to say Rd ans Ave!), it uses Navteq Australia .psf map, and does not have TMC (learnt about that here) or bluetooth
Nervous about spending $$$ on a fizzer by not knowing what I have, I was hoping to convert it to run TomTom as software and maps are reasonably priced and available here.

You know the most frustrating thing is the accessories pages shown for purchase in the box include "UK&Europe map" as well as a "USA map" both $AU169 ....but contacting Medion here gets the reply "...computer says no...." in typical Little Britan style!

BTW Fatslag and another UK gent have been the only two people on 4 different forums to reply with suggestions - both are Brits.

Regards,
Barry
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barry23 wrote:
Coopersoz,

Tried Medion nohelpdesk again a couple of days ago "none in stock, "don't know when" "don't know who to write to"...!!

UK - NO LUCK - I have been emailing backwards and fwds to Medion UK who are prompt and helpful, they said to purchase from their Medion Shop (UK) but I had to write to them and let them know that while Woolworths UK have the PNA315 on sale with UK maps inside, their shops only have Europe Spain and USA maps and you can't purchase a "local" UK map!!! They're gone away thinking for the past few days........... hummmm, do you think that somehow they don't WANT to take my $AU170 somehow!! I can't even BUY a map. Although the GPS works well, I wish I'd bought a TomTom as my nephew did.

A female neighbour is also trying to get a UK map for her forthcoming vist to the UK and has been equally frustated by the "..we know nothing" Medion Aus phone "support" - she's also annoyed with me because I recommended getting a PNA315 (MD96210)........... let me know if you find some way of getting a UK map out of Medion - I can't even convert it to TTom as I don't know where to start!!

Barry

Gents,
You both appear to be struggling here....as with many PDA/Nav applications, the software can be hellishly expensive.
I'd suggest buying a Medion205/210 from one of our major supermarkets when you get here...& then sell it on Ebay in Australia when you get home!
You won't be the last Ozzi to come 'home' you know Very Happy So you should get a decent price for it.
For what it's worth, enjoy it over here....

Cheers
Dave N (Son of a "£10 Pom").
Running Cameralert via Samsung S7 Edge

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: