Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Miomap 3.2 update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Miomap 3.2 update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, some messages have now started appearing correctly - the second line is agreeing with the direction heading in the first line for some messages including some motorway messages.

Many are still incorrect though. I've taken some photos and I'll try to pin the problem down in the next couple of weeks. Oddly most of the journalistic messages are incorrect and a fair few of the "congestion" messages are correct (but not all).

Something has definitely changed and now probably about 40% (possibly more) of the messages are appearing correctly.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm

If messages have suddenly begun to be displayed correctly, could this be because iTIS rather than Mio have tweaked something?

...or have you updated your unit again since you began this thread?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
mmmm

If messages have suddenly begun to be displayed correctly, could this be because iTIS rather than Mio have tweaked something?

...or have you updated your unit again since you began this thread?

Nope, I haven't updated the unit since. I did have to hard reset the unit (turned the engine off whilst it was plugged in and so encountered the no power on bug). As I say only about 40% or so of the messages are correct and a large proportion of all types of messages including congestion messages are incorrect. It is an improvement though. It's possible that previously I only received the 60% or so of messages that seem to be incorrect.

This morning there was a TMC alert describing congestion between New Cross and Pimlico (in the first line). The second line described Kensington to New Cross Gate (which is the reverse of the first line).

Still, there is an improvement. I noticed that many of the incorrect messages related to jams where both the start point and the end point were in central or inner London whereas many of the correct messages had start or end points outside of inner London. I saw a correct message describing the traffic flow from Croydon to, iirc, Lambeth and the second line described the traffic flow as from Streatham Hill to Brixton (which sounds correct).

There were exceptions to this though. It's frustrating because with single carriageway roads it isn't possible to check the map for the direction of the jam.

But something seems to have changed - but by no means a complete fix.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaahhhhh

so the chances are that it's something iTIS have tweaked but there's still a possibility that resetting your Mio made a difference.

Considering the widening of FM coverage iTIS have mentioned, my money would be on them...but I could be wrong

...but gambling's a fools' game, which is why the bookies are all so rich Wink
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
aaaaahhhhh

so the chances are that it's something iTIS have tweaked but there's still a possibility that resetting your Mio made a difference.

Considering the widening of FM coverage iTIS have mentioned, my money would be on them...but I could be wrong

...but gambling's a fools' game, which is why the bookies are all so rich Wink

Absolutely.

Fwiw, the problem is very much still present - I'll try to upload a couple of photos later (if I can work out how to reduce them to a sensible screen) size.

TMC worked very well on the M4, A4 (problems caused by climate protests) and M25 this evening - but didn't work at all on the equally badly congested B roads and other roads. It's just a tool of course and one that requires a fair bit of user decision making. I can see that the TMC service has the makings of being something very good indeed. One jam took approximately 2 minutes or so to be received on the unit (from the time the jam started) - assuming of course that it was the same jam.

I haven't noticed better FM signal reception yet - still can't pick up iTIS TMC at all in my home town.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we should be relieved that things seem to be improving (all be it slowly) and that we are able to recieve TMC data.

I would have thought that iTIS may post a message when the new radio stations are added to their FM network - so I'm not expecting an improvement just yet...but it's something for us to look forward to.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
TMC worked very well on the M4, A4 (problems caused by climate protests) and M25 this evening - but didn't work at all on the equally badly congested B roads and other roads. It's just a tool of course and one that requires a fair bit of user decision making. I can see that the TMC service has the makings of being something very good indeed.

I'm glad to hear that TMC was working at the east end of the M4 yesterday evening because it certainly wasn't doing it's job properly about 60 miles further west!
I left Uxbridge at about 1545 and I knew beforehand that there had been some problems around Hungerford and Swindon which were being reported by both TM and ITIS. However when I got to J14 around 1630 the ITIS TMC still suggested problems in the area (and also at J15) whilst the TM Freeway kept silent and guess what - absolutely nothing at either location!
The Mio then tried to take me off the M4 at J16 and in fairness the TM Freeway seemed to be suggesting on and off that there were issues in the area of J17 but I decided to keep going to my exit at J17 and yes, you guessed it - absolutely nothing!
The TMC concept is absolutely first class and a huge step forward for use with SatNav but right now the service is downright unacceptable, far too many false warnings. Yes traffic problems are dynamic by nature and can clear quite quickly but not every time there is a warning!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use TMC in conjunction with TrafficMaster Freeway (and radio traffic bulletins).

TMC is not always right, neither is the Freeway - but at least they're tools which allow you to make a choice...and if you decide to leave the motorway, you know that the Mio will guide you back onto it a little further down the road

Like I've said before - if all the computers in the world crash, the sun will still rise in the morning Laughing
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that there's another update available - this one taking the 3.2 version date to March 14 2007 Evil or Very Mad

I give up.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it yet?

Next time I contact Mio, I might suggest that they try controlling their updates better. There's no way of knowing if you have the latest version, or what changes/improvements a later version may provide.

For example, with 3.2:

the original release 3.2

1st update 3.2.1 (or 3.2a)

2nd update 3.2.2 (or 3.2b)

3rd update 3.2.3 (or 3.2c) etc

The MioSync tool doesn't provide any information about what's new - it just searches, downloads and installs updates...there must surely be a more user friendly way of dealing with updates.

I also have a feeling that the release date shown for Mio updates is the date when development started rather than the actual release date, which simply adds more confusion into the equation Crying or Very sad
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tried it but I can't see any difference.

The last update resulted in the version date reverting to January 2007 - this one brings it forward again to March 2007.

I don't know what's happening but then again I'm convinced that Mio does either - wasn't the TM functionality a result of a programming glitch?!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the TrafficMaster TMC function was a glitch, which they had to correct
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....have you noticed anything significantly different in the new version?

I might be tempted to try the update anyway
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
....have you noticed anything significantly different in the new version?

I might be tempted to try the update anyway

No - no obvious difference certainly not in respect of the TMC bug (which is very much alive and kicking - examples galore).

Actually, one thing I have noticed - although I can't be sure that this wasn't also present in the previous recent update - is a change in voice directions. Yesterday on a number of occasions I was alerted at a "quarter of a mile" before a roundabout about which exit to take. You are now also alerted to stay right when a road forks (and not just on a motorway as seemed to be the case in the most recent update).

2 updates so close together - I suspect a bug fix of some sort.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: