Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database on eBay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database on eBay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

It must be a subscribed member though to have access to the downloads section, perhaps they will lose any remaining membership for this - Mike

That doesn't have to be the case Mike, the database is readily and freely available elsewhere.

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case the person who supplied the data to the illegal site is responsible for the breach of their rights to the access - it might make people think when "passing on data" for free in future, I don't know if the site admin staff will take such a measure I have mentioned, but it is a definite possibility - Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In which case the person who supplied the data to the illegal site is responsible for the breach of their rights to the access - it might make people think when "passing on data" for free in future, I don't know if the site admin staff will take such a measure I have mentioned, but it is a definite possibility - Mike

I totally agree and understand what you are saying, I was just trying to point out that whoever listed it on ebay might not be a subscriber.

But yes whoever it is must have got it from a subscriber somewhere down the line.

To old to die young.
Devons
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Copyright and databases Reply with quote

A recent USA Superior court decision stated that it was not possible to copyright a database. This applied to a decision in relation to the publication of telephone numbers in a database format. It was useful for reverse lookups, etc..

I am not sure what effect this would have on intellectual property rights though and if they can be applied to a database on cameras.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if it would apply in the UK or outside US jurisdiction.

To be honest i don't see why you can't copyright a database in the same way you can a book. Must be more to it than that.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...these listings have been removed from eBay:

"This listing (150134012577) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it cancelled."

"This listing (150133435387) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number. If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it cancelled."

BUT, it has re-appeared here
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BUT, it has re-appeared as:

It's gone. Laughing

It really annoys me when people (and web sites like this one) get ripped off by some idiot trying to make a fast buck! That's why I started this thread.

Quote:
A recent USA Superior court decision stated that it was not possible to copyright a database.

While this site serves the international GPS community, this particular issue is a UK one. This site is run from the UK and the scammer on was on the UK eBay. These are UK copyright issues. What happens in US courts, though sometimes interesting, is not really relevant in this case.
zardoz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think this is unstoppable until the original downloaders are blocked. Some more probables...

Item number: 140131538785
Item number: 320130042348
Item number: 170124356616

Z.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
mikealder wrote:

It must be a subscribed member though to have access to the downloads section, perhaps they will lose any remaining membership for this - Mike

That doesn't have to be the case Mike, the database is readily and freely available elsewhere.

or to rephrase what mike said, it must have originally been shared by someone who is a subscriber...

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps - and yes, people do get their subscriptions revoked

and with regards to copyright of the database i believe it's the contents of the file that is the intelectual property not the file itself - just like a book, it's the actual contents not the physical book.

all this was dicussed loads when the charging came into play if you fancy having a hunt through about 200 pages...

MaFt
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
classy56 wrote:
mikealder wrote:

or to rephrase what mike said, it must have originally been shared by someone who is a subscriber...

MaFt

And I agreed Wink

There may be one way of narrowing it down, The downloads were very erratic, in other words not every update or even every month were shared, so perhaps you could look at what is available and then try and see if anyone subscribed just for those months that were shared. A long shot but i'm only trying to help 8O

And NO I didn't download any :P

I prefer to support people that help me.

To old to die young.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick snoop shows the database in some forums the same afternoon of the release.
Occasionally members can be seen posting it, even one member requesting it Surprised

Didn't I once read of embedded data in the download linking it to the downloading subscriber - one of the Team IIRC? If this is correct, could this be used for tracking culprits?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zardoz wrote:
Frankly, I think this is unstoppable until the original downloaders are blocked. Some more probables...

Item number: 140131538785
Item number: 320130042348
Item number: 170124356616

Z.

I've reported the second, the first I suspect is an illegal offer of someone elses data and I have alerted them to the listing, the latter I cannot locate?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
A quick snoop shows the database in some forums the same afternoon of the release.
Occasionally members can be seen posting it, even one member requesting it Surprised

Didn't I once read of embedded data in the download linking it to the downloading subscriber - one of the Team IIRC? If this is correct, could this be used for tracking culprits?

Indeed so, we can trace a member from a shared file so all links to offers of our database or eBay sales are welcomed. I can have an eBay sale shut down within 30 mins once notified. We also make test purchases and revoke the subscriptions of any members identified as the source.

It's a time consuming process but worth while. If anyone spots a suspect link then either email me or post in the eBay thread and I will act ASAP. It's not just the lost income, ultimately if this becomes a big issue there will be little point in us bothering and we'll stop, everyone loses out then Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From now on can we keep ALL E-Bay or any other form of illegal database hosting in one place, this is easier to keep an eye on, the location of the thread to be used is HERE

Remember there is PM, E-mail etc to alert site staff if you don't want to post in a public forum identifying a potential culprit - thanks - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: