Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Was it worth the extra 150 quid?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Was it worth the extra 150 quid?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first I am assuming you meant CANT shower you...etc, secondly the only unofficial extras I have loaded it up with are Pocketgpsworld camera database and Pocketgpsworld POI. The rest of the extras came already loaded up with it. All I'my saying is - is that if it was supposed to wipe your bum in 2 seconds flat most peoples apart from yours and Darren's would wipe your brow in 6! Anyway how come you bought it just for navigation? Surely if none of the other features appealed to you it would of been a lot more economical to buy the one new edition?

Tomtom One
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: 910 Reply with quote

i think the point we were trying to make is the £350 and a £150 for a one
i had a go 300 then i got a tomy one the first one. and as you do you want a better nav system so i got the 910 oh what a mistake there was no end of problems. mount crap new mount not that good had to reset every other day contacted tomtom support reply was as if they were not intrested then put phone done on me. result tomtom back to comet for refund now have nuvi 610. i think the most important thing when buying a sat nav is what do you realy need and to be honest mp3 players,phones,
are best as they are. so we back to square one.
and the tomtom one is all you need. and as for my garmin 610 any one who wants it you can have it if you give me your one and a £135
and remember this i do around 4000 miles per month and the one does the job as good as my garmin but this is the point garmin £300 tomtom 910 £350 tomtom one £150 why pay more for a gadget thats does loads but in a poor fashion why not pay less for a fantastic tomtom one.
just to add i wrote tomtom a leter it was a good one two but no reply as yet. all i can say the tomy one is the best system out there but the tomy after care is shocking after car is as important as the product itself i rest my case.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
Anyway how come you bought it just for navigation? Surely if none of the other features appealed to you it would of been a lot more economical to buy the one new edition?

Not if European and US mapping was important to you. It is the only TomTom that has Euro and US mapping pre-installed. Buying a ONE and those maps seperately would add up to more than the cost of a 910.

I don't care if a unit plays MP3's Videos, managed my dairy or predicts my horoscope but the nav side is important and I prefer the text to speech as do many other users. Not withstanding your opinions which are of course as valid as anyone elses, many users like the 910!
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, everybodys opinion counts! By the way how useful have you found the US maps? Are they as accurate as the UK maps whilst your actually over there? Is the map of the Canaries as good? P.S I didnt know there was a Guam til I bought the 910. Laughing

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud! I have only used the Florida and Nevada maps and found them reliable enough for my needs.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to Halfords, if I take it back and show them what its supposed to do - but isnt, they will exchange for a One new edition and re-fund the difference! They also told me I was the latest in a long list of people unhappy with the 910 in general (apart from navigation) so it cant just be me doing something wrong or a faulty unit. End of nightmare and not out of pocket.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it matters so much to me now but can anyone explain as to why you can perform all the phone functions with models 3 and 4 year old but with some of the latest models (12 months old or less) your limited to sending and receiving calls only - leaving sending and receiving texts and adding your contacts list in the (that wont work either) list. I read somewhere on a website possibly tomtom's that new phones are being added all the time but it seems that as they are added people have already upgraded to the next latest model as many do!

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Now i'm getting concerned as i have just bought a 910 today..... It's still sealed and boxed, so what shall i do keep it or flog it off?

I was sick and tired of using my IPAQ 6910, so i thought i'd get a AIO unit. I suppose I could have saved some cash and got a TT1 V2 but this deal I got was exceptionally good on the 910......

Have I made the right choice?
paulday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Just wish to add my support for the 910!

Have had mine since January, when it was bought to replace a 300. Everything on the unit works perfectly, have used it all over Europe and in parts of the US without any issues whatsoever.

Even when I have dealt with Tomtom tech support (to replace a faulty home dock/power supply) the service has been top class with no cause for complaint.

It is used for about 200 miles of driving everyday and the Text to Speech is a big improvement over other models (Can you really expect it to pronounce every single word perfectly!?!)

All in all a great unit and when the improved RDS-TMC is available and I can find somewhere that sells an FM mount then it should be a perfect setup.

Cheers

Paul
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: 910 Reply with quote

if you happy keep it the 910 does work but for £350 it should be better
and the one is a better bet . tomtom should supply a reset tool as you need it often. and super glue for that mount. and make sure you dont drop your tomy 910 on your toes as it will break them
kind regards
can you tell i am not happy with tomtom l,o,l,
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
can anyone explain as to why you can perform all the phone functions with models 3 and 4 year old but with some of the latest models (12 months old or less) your limited to sending and receiving calls only - leaving sending and receiving texts and adding your contacts list in the (that wont work either) list.

I can! My old 6230i could do everything. My new K800i can't do sms so I asked TomTom.

This is their reply Confused

Quote:
Regarding the SMS functionality of the K800i, this is dependent on the Bluetooth being used by the K800i. In short there are different versions (protocols) of Bluetooth and we at TomTom have chosen the most common protocol to offer the widest possible services. This means though that some mobiles will have limited or no services. Should the SMS functionality of the K800i become compatible, it will be added to the list found on www.tomtom.com/phones
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, but as I said before by the time the SMS functionality of the K800i become compatible...... you will have a new phone. Confused

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite get this. A new phone comes out where they have changed the bluetooth protocols, so it doesn't work with existing gear, and you blame TomTom?

Going back a few posts, that is also why old phones mainly work well, because that is what TomTom had to work with when they designed the software.
Eventually they manage to tweak it to work with a new batch of phones, and then the manufacturers will bring out yet more incompatible ones (usually with very little information about what exactly they HAVE changed).

Same in my industry. The biggest equipment manufacturer regularily changed the protocols of their export file format, so all their competitors had to chase around trying to make their systems capable of importing it again. The big player would never provide clear guidance notes about what they had changed, so the others wasted a lot of time and energy getting it sorted. In that case, it eventually became obvious they were doing it to drive their competitors out.

That's unlikely to be the reason here, but the end results are the same.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont quite get this either! Dont think for one minute that I totally despise Tomtom - I just got rid of the 910 and have gone back to the One new edition! I asked a simple question (how come some older models do more than some newer models?) thats all. I think Tomtom should be more clear explaining that not all phones can do sms etc! Watch the product tour and it shows someone receiving sms with nothing said about compatability! Anyway on a lighter note and after reading http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=339&Language=1
View the 910 product tour again and you will see him looking through his photo gallery while driving Laughing

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am another one in favour of the 910.
I have been using it since it came out and apart from a couple of little glitches, it has worked perfectly.
The main reason for me was the US maps and it works fine out there.
Touch wood, it has never let me down with the navigation in any country and I travel around this country a lot.
Just nice to know that I am never lost.

Only down side for me is that my phone is not compatible so keeping an eye on Ebay for a cheap matching one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: