Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
jimmymerlin wrote:
Do I have to delete any of the original speed camera files that where supplied in my Tom Tom 910 from new.
It is better to do so. It also a good idea to use HOME to do it, so that you don't delete the wrong thing. ;)

jimmymerlin wrote:
Also do i put the poi's I have downloaded from this site ( for hotels,banks petrol stations etc etc) in the same file as the cameras?????
All POIs go into the Map Folder. Cameras are no different to banks, just a collection of Locations. (Do you like the comparison of Cameras and Banks?) :D

jimmymerlin wrote:
Thanks for the help and can you remind me of the rugby score from a few weeks ago when Wales played England !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenge is sweet !

Thanks and bye for now
If you are going to bring things like that up then thanks will not be anywhere near enough to get infomation. Grrrr

Ops................must have struck a raw nerve................ but lets be fair...............its been ages since we have had anything to brag about !!!!!!

I am absolutely new to all this so how would I know which files to delete from my tom tom??

Sorry to be so thick about all this but only joined the site a few days ago and to be honest, since I bought my tom tom I have had nothing but trouble with it
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Sorry to be so thick about all this but only joined the site a few days ago and to be honest, since I bought my tom tom I have had nothing but trouble with it
Nowhere else in this thread have you mentioned having problems with your TomTom. I'd STRONGLY suggest that you get any problems sorted out BEFORE you try to add the Cameras or other POIs to your unit Exclamation Apart from anything else, if you have to return the unit you'd have to go through loading the cameras, voices and POIs again!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of troubles? Difficulty getting to grips with it, or it actually not working?

If you hadn't added any new Points of Interest files to your Go, the only files with an .ov2 extension to the filename would be the TomTom speed cameras.
However, as you say you have now succesfully added the camera files from this site, you WILL have some more now.

Look at the contents of your map folder and you will see several files with the .ov2 extension (You MUST have Windows Explorer set to show extensions in order for you to see them. Go to its Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab, and UN-tick the box where it says "Hide extensions for known file types").

Find the ones that DO NOT start with "pocketgps...". It is these that you want to get rid of.

Using normal Windows selecting, copying, cutting and pasting methods, you can move them out of your map folder and put them somewhere on your PC hard drive for safe keeping, just in case you ever want them again.
To repeat... you want to LEAVE only the ones that start with "pocketgps..."

If you don't know how to cut, copy, paste etc. on your computer, then you must learn how before you start messing with your TomTom though.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
What sort of troubles? Difficulty getting to grips with it, or it actually not working?

If you hadn't added any new Points of Interest files to your Go, the only files with an .ov2 extension to the filename would be the TomTom speed cameras.
However, as you say you have now succesfully added the camera files from this site, you WILL have some more now.

Look at the contents of your map folder and you will see several files with the .ov2 extension (You MUST have Windows Explorer set to show extensions in order for you to see them. Go to its Tools menu / Folder Options / View tab, and UN-tick the box where it says "Hide extensions for known file types").

Find the ones that DO NOT start with "pocketgps...". It is these that you want to get rid of.

Using normal Windows selecting, copying, cutting and pasting methods, you can move them out of your map folder and put them somewhere on your PC hard drive for safe keeping, just in case you ever want them again.

If you don't know how to cut, copy, paste etc. on your computer, then you must learn how before you start messing with your TomTom though.

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Original problems on my first tom tom, the jack plug from the mains plug to the base unit was loose and kept falling out so they sent me a new one. I then had difficulty setting up the new one as there was conflict with the original tom tom settings on my computer,they sent me a link to sort it. Then after that the tom tom would just freeze and I could not turn it off, that now seeems to be sorted. Recently I bought the FM transmitter to send my music straight to my radio but when I play my music through the radio and car speakers there is interference, they are still working on that one.

I will try what you suggest above shortly and see how I get on. Once that is complete I would like to store the new POIs I have downloaded from this site for petrol stations, banks cinemas etc etc etc. Would I put these in the same location that I put the speed cameras or do they go into a different location?

I did do a back up on tom tom home before doing any of this just in case!!!!!. When I have removed the files I don't want and stored them in another file in case I need them in the future, if for any reason something goes wrong, if I re-installed my back up copy would it put my tom tom back to the way it was when I took the back up or would these files still be missing?

One other thing, I am going to Flachau in Austria for 2 weeks over easter, do you know anywhere I could get poi's for the various ski resorts that are there as I will need to drive between the different ski areas.

Thanks for the help Andy

Bye for now

Jimmy
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Andy.

Original problems on my first tom tom, the jack plug from the mains plug to the base unit was loose and kept falling out so they sent me a new one. I then had difficulty setting up the new one as there was conflict with the original tom tom settings on my computer,they sent me a link to sort it. Then after that the tom tom would just freeze and I could not turn it off, that now seeems to be sorted. Recently I bought the FM transmitter to send my music straight to my radio but when I play my music through the radio and car speakers there is interference, they are still working on that one.

I will try what you suggest above shortly and see how I get on. Once that is complete I would like to store the new POIs I have downloaded from this site for petrol stations, banks cinemas etc etc etc. Would I put these in the same location that I put the speed cameras or do they go into a different location?

I did do a back up on tom tom home before doing any of this just in case!!!!!. When I have removed the files I don't want and stored them in another file in case I need them in the future, if for any reason something goes wrong, if I re-installed my back up copy would it put my tom tom back to the way it was when I took the back up or would these files still be missing?

One other thing, I am going to Flachau in Austria for 2 weeks over easter, do you know anywhere I could get poi's for the various ski resorts that are there as I will need to drive between the different ski areas.

Thanks for the help Andy

Bye for now

Jimmy

Hello Again Andy

I have just opened up the files on my tom tom. Do I get rid of all of the files that don't start with pocketgps ???? Looking at the files, although I don't know very much about this, it seems to contain information for speed cameras in europe as well as the UK ones. The UK ones I think are the ones that say safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom. ov2.ver and .bmp

Please will you confirm if I need to delete all other files or just the UK ones.

Obviously, I will not do anything until I hear from you.

Oh yes, and bye the way, I have copied all of the files from tom tom to another file on my PC just in case !!!!! ( this includes the original speed camera info and the new pocket gps files I have installled on there)

Thanks Andy

Bye

Jimmy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy, The important bit is you have the back-up to rely upon, if everything were to go wrong re-installation of the back-up will get service back to normal.

For removal of the TT camera POI files have a look at #13 of the FAQ Page , which can be found Here - Mike
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Jimmy, The important bit is you have the back-up to rely upon, if everything were to go wrong re-installation of the back-up will get service back to normal.

For removal of the TT camera POI files have a look at #13 of the FAQ Page , which can be found Here - Mike

Thanks Mikealder.

When I follow your instructions above I can see the files that need to be deleted.

If I delete the files for speed cameras in europe, will my tom tom still work abroad. I am going to Austria next friday, or do I just delete the ones for the uk speed cameras as I have now downloaded the UK ones from pocketgps????

To be honest, I just asked Andy this same question but you replied to me, so I don't know if you saw my other question to Andy.

How does this forum work Mike? If I post a question does anyone answer it or does my question just go to the person I am dealing with.

Do the people that reply to my questions work for pocketgps or are they just dedicated tomtom users that like to help and support other users.

I am new to this and not quite sure how it all works.

Thanks

Jimmy

I have just asked Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have the PGPSW cameras installed on your device you can delete the TomTom UK camera POI's as you are going overseas soon I would leave the continental cameras installed for now (better than nothing).

The PGPSW cameras cover the UK, so leaving the TT ones on the device for your trip will at least afford some protection.

The forum displays your text (as well as that posted by other users), anyone can reply, rather than wait for a specific user to respond you get the answer faster that way. If you want to discuss something out of public view and addressed to a specific individual the forum has the PM (Private Message) system for you to use, choice is yours - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy, just saw your replies.
Mike's advice is all spot-on (better than mine would have been, actually!)
The best thing about forums like this is that everyone gets to see the questions and answers, so anyone can jump in with aditional information or an alternative way of doing something. Sometimes just having the same thing explained in a couple of different ways, means that one of them will just "click" with you.

As he says, the important thing is to have backups, and that you know where they are and how use them to put stuff back as it was.
I find copying and pasting between the TomTom and a safe place on my PC using Windows is best for me, because I can see exactly what is going on and I learn more about what all the files are for every time.

Using the TomTom 'Home' backup system tries to make it simpler by hiding what is going on from you, which causes more confusion, I think, but that's just my opinion.

On to your specifics:

Yes, the TomTom-supplied cameras for the UK will be the "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom. ov2", "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom.ver" and "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom.bmp" files, (and the other speeds obviously).

Yes, you can leave any other countries ones on if you want, (the only reason for removing the TomTom UK ones is to avoid confusion when the two competing sets of camera data BOTH start bleeping at you!)

Yes, any other POIs you find are added in the same way as the PGPSWorld cameras. Just add the ".ov2" data file and the ".bmp" icon (picture) file into the map folder and "enable" them in the Preferences menu on the TomTom.

There are a few different sites with POI files for download (most free, some want a subscription)
Here's a link to a forum post where people have listed some we know, but I don't know of any specifically for Austria, I'm afraid. Try a few Google searches or ask in the "POI" section of this forum?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Yes, you can leave any other countries ones on if you want, (the only reason for removing the TomTom UK ones is to avoid confusion when the two competing sets of camera data BOTH start bleeping at you!)

Actually, there's another good reason for getting rid of Tom Tom's other countries camera files - they use up your allowance of POIs. You can only have a maximum of 100 on your Tom Tom 910. From what you've said, I fancy you want some more POIs on it. The pgpsw cameras will take up 24 of the 100 (more if you have also downloaded the unverified PMobile files) and it would be very easy for you to get keen and overload it with lots of nice POIs. Be aware that the 100 limit doesn't actually stop you from putting them onto the Tom Tom, what happens is that some of them stop working. As we don't yet seem to have twigged which ones stop working (it seems a bit random), you'll only find out when you don't get something you want. So avoid the problem by thinking about it in advance. There are ways of overcoming it which the wise men here can explain - to you, not me, I'm too old. Crying or Very sad

There's a good reason for not having any Swiss camera POIs - if the police there find out, you'll get nicked. If you do delete the other country cameras (and even if you don't), stay under the speed limits - you know it makes sense. Wink

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have just seen on the tom tom website that there is a new version of map issued for Europe but it costs about 109 euros.

Can I obtain this map from anywhere else or do I have to purchase it from TOM TOM directly

Thanks

Jimmy

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Hi Jimmy, just saw your replies.
Mike's advice is all spot-on (better than mine would have been, actually!)
The best thing about forums like this is that everyone gets to see the questions and answers, so anyone can jump in with aditional information or an alternative way of doing something. Sometimes just having the same thing explained in a couple of different ways, means that one of them will just "click" with you.

As he says, the important thing is to have backups, and that you know where they are and how use them to put stuff back as it was.
I find copying and pasting between the TomTom and a safe place on my PC using Windows is best for me, because I can see exactly what is going on and I learn more about what all the files are for every time.

Using the TomTom 'Home' backup system tries to make it simpler by hiding what is going on from you, which causes more confusion, I think, but that's just my opinion.

On to your specifics:

Yes, the TomTom-supplied cameras for the UK will be the "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom. ov2", "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom.ver" and "safety-cam-UK-60-tomtom.bmp" files, (and the other speeds obviously).

Yes, any other POIs you find are added in the same way as the PGPSWorld cameras. Just add the ".ov2" data file and the ".bmp" icon (picture) file into the map folder and "enable" them in the Preferences menu on the TomTom.

There are a few different sites with POI files for download (most free, some want a subscription)
Here's a link to a forum post where people have listed some we know, but I don't know of any specifically for Austria, I'm afraid. Try a few Google searches or ask in the "POI" section of this forum?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get it anywhere except from TomTom's website.

But you don't HAVE to get it at all. You may not find much difference, or worse...
There are actually two new Europe maps and if you have a 910 you will find the 'Western Europe' one is actually SMALLER than the one you already have (believed to have been squeezed to fit onto the new 1GB version of the TT One) whereas the 'Western and Central Europe' one has a couple of countries put back that used to be on the old Go700 maps anyway.
Both will have a couple of updates such as the extended London Congestion Charge Zone included, but some of the major errors have still not been fixed.

And incidently, this isn't really a topic for the Speed cameras forum, you'll find a lot more discussion about the new maps in the TomTom section of the forum http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=93

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: