Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thieves detecting GPS in cars?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thieves detecting GPS in cars?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on my 910 I won't lose data as its got a hdd in it.... those tend not to lose power when turned off (though our server at work seems to have the magically ability to lose data whether it is on or off.... mutter.)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Even when it is switched OFF ???

The internal clock is still running though, so a GO is never completely off unless you use the reset button.

Are you suggesting thatthere is a way to detect the real time clock in a GPS unit while it's switched off then?
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically with sensitive enough equipment yes, in reality? No.

I think he was on about the fact that even 'off' a TT isn't really off.
Bigbazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhour! Really simple technology is used to detect a device/laptop/etc... the thieves use their bums!, which they sit on in a nearby car, and then use their eyes to watch people coming and going. Then when they see you arrive, take your laptop and put it in the boot and then remove your sat nav and put it in the glovebox, they just wait. Off you go to that meeting...

...the bad boys then go to your car - 1 - break the window, - 2 - open the glovebox (nice Sat Nav) and then - 3- (amazingly) drop down your "Fold down rear seat" to gain access to your boot (without even opening the boot!) to take your laptop and all the data you were planning to backup but just were too busy...

So lookout for people hanging around... sitting in cars... walking by and no-where to go... they might have a keen interest in breaking your window! Confused

The other big giveaway... screen mounts, cables etc - take them off view.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Some people believe that TV detector vans can detect a TV in your house too.

Check this out: http://www.tvlicensing.biz/detection/index.htm
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are getting away from the original point...
Even IF this was technically feasible, the prospect of the local thugs having the equipment is laughable.
If they DID get hold of a detector, they would be down the pub flogging it within the hour anyway!
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right of course - I suspect this is nothing more than a scare tactic. As others have said, the sophisticated detection methods will be (a) watching vehicles as they arrive, and (b) looking for windscreen mounts.

I must admit when I used mine to find a car park in Manchester last year, I had it way down in the centre console and in night mode so it wouldn't light up the inside of the car, and I switched it off before I got to the entrance "just in case". But it was more about someone seeing it than being invisible to detectors. I would doubt that even the Bluetooth will respond when the device is in standby mode - lots of embedded devices power down parts of the circuitry in standby mode.
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: gps in glove box Reply with quote

it is possable to detect a sat nav in the glove box or anyware else in the vehicle but it is not through a radio signal.
it is simply the battery back up in the unit that gives it away as you can detect the voltage from the unit hope this clears this one up dont want to go into two much detail hope you understand
johnny h
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the low level of noise that these units generate (otherwise they'd fail to get approval) you need an extremely sensitive detector to pick these signals up from other background man-made noise.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike007 wrote:
they must mean that the BLUETOOTH can be searched for,just like on your mobile phone you can "search for devices"
the new tomtom's have bluetooth connection on them. Smile I keep my bluetooth switched off as i dont use it.

When I read the original news item on the BBC Website I contacted them to correct the innacurate statements.

I've just has a reply from the author of the story. He 'thinks' that the reference was with regard to detecting the Bluetooth Radio but this would require that both the GPS and BT were left On, unlikley methinks!

Even were this the case, the satnav is not being tracked and the story is misleading. It is a simple process to scan for Bluetooth devices that are in 'discoverable' modes, but that does not help you locate a device unless you're in the middle of a large car park and there's only one car there Smile

The author has passed my comments on to DS Agar for his response. I'll let you know what if anything comes of it!

Last edited by Darren on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
skr00ge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: gps in glove box Reply with quote

johnnyh wrote:

it is simply the battery back up in the unit that gives it away as you can detect the voltage from the unit hope this clears this one up dont want to go into two much detail hope you understand
johnny h

You won't want to go into much detail because it sounds like guff. The kind of equipment required to detect a lion battery inside a metal car shell with all the live 12V, HT coil and live car electronics would have to be some serious magic. If you had this kind of detection you'd be working in a physics research lab or have a few thousand quid spare, not robbing cars for 50 quid fences of sat nav gear.

And they can tell the difference between a SatNav and my £10 mobile?

Far better detecting the resonant frequency of the invertor circuit for the TFT eh?

Sorry my credulity just stretched too far.

Cheers
user10664
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: nav in glove box Reply with quote

you just cannot get through to some people
be good.
if you new what i did for a living you would listen
if you email me i will tell you
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it involves the people in the Cheltenham doughnut then there remember the kit they play with is beyond the kit joe public can play with ;)
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arimus wrote:
If it involves the people in the Cheltenham doughnut then there remember the kit they play with is beyond the kit joe public can play with ;)

yes, but if one of them spooks leaves his gear in the car as the MI5 boys do from time to time with their laptops, then it can get nicked and used to detect TomToms!
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.... assuming the crook can get the bloody thing to work - most of the gov't stuff needs a good kicking first to get it going.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: