Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken camera warnings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The reason I mentioned the OGG files is quite simply because I sent Bazzza an e-mail, attached to which is a zipped up folder containing 24 ogg files

Yeah, that's what I assumed, it was just that nowhere did Bazzza say he was using them!
If he was getting some voices without them then he must still have a custom data.chk involved.
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Zip of ogg files Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,
Yes, I was able to unzip the files you sent me. I think both you and Andy are right. In my Voices Folder I have files called data 04.chk and data 05.chk. I also have, but not in a folder, a file called data.chk which I think I downloaded.
I think the problem has been caused by me not grasping the fact that there were 2 ways of getting the voices. I'm inclined to stick with what I have now. What Andy suggested seems very complicated and I'm sure I would cock it up and I don't have any faith in using TT Home to provide backup. Every time I have tried to restore a version it tells me I don't have enough space to do it. That's how I ended up in this mess.
Sorry, but I did tell you I was only semi computer literate. Embarassed
Barry
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have addressed my last post to Mike, Andy and Graham. Pity the posts can't be edited.
Barry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, the file named data.chk contains the warning voices used for the POI's (speed cameras) the data05.chk in the voices folder is a navigation voice (Jane IIRC).
As you can unzip the files I e-mailed you you can copy these to the GB Map folder on your device, this will then allow you to use the ogg file warning method.
If you take this approach and copy the files to your map folder all that you need to do is go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when Near POI, select the cameras (repeat this for each category installed) and re-configure the warnings, select no when prompted to remove warning in each case - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, for bearing with me. I'll have a go at that.
I'll report the results.
Barry
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've put the kiss of death on it again.
I copied the ogg files you sent me to my GB Map folder.
Went to Change Preferences/ Enable Disable POIs checked them all(including a lot of UK Specs)/ clicked Done.
Went to Change Preferences/clicked right arrow/ Manage POIs/Warn when near POI/ scrolled through each camera (noticed that only UK Specs 30 was there.)/ Selected each camera in turn/ Got Remove? warning/ Clicked on No./ Warn closer than 300 yds/ clicked on done./ Checked Warn only if POI on route./ Clicked on Done./ Unit went back to Manage POIs screen.
I did not get the opportunity to test a sound and allocate it to a camera as I have done previously.
I did a trial run and thought I noticed one of the warnings was something like "Warning. Mobile camera ahead. 30 miles per hour" instead of the usual brief "Mobile 30". Unfortunately I can't check whether I have the GATSO 70 warning as I don't know the location of a GATSO 70 Camera in my area.
I'm afraid I'm lost again now.
Barry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, I think you have actually managed to progress with this, the simple fact the device doesn't offer the chance to select a sound or even test it means it has chosen (by default) to use the ogg files instead, so you should get true spoken alerts from now on.
If you are still troubled by the Gatso 70 try using "Advanced planning" and plot a route from Home to "Points of Interest" "POInear You" then select the "pocket uk gatso 70" select the first one in the list (if less than 20 miles try a route demo below 200% speed) to see if you get the correct warning - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halleluja! It works. Thanks Mike and everyone for your patience.
Barry
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, I have started work on some more detailed instructions including screen shots - just need to finish them off, as we seem to be getting a number of questions on how to do this - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only numpty in the world.
I assume I can delete the data.chk file and just keep the data04.chk and data05.chk files ??
Barry
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - if you are doing a new "how-to" for the ogg file method, could you possibly also update the normal help file for TomToms HERE
where it still says:
Quote:
Unfortunately you can't use .WAV files on a GO. However, if you wish to use spoken alerts (instead of the default beeps) on your TomTom Go then your can use the free PocketGPSWorld voices. The article can be found here.

Bazzza - Yes, you can delete the "spoken voices" version of data.chk but I'd advise putting back the original TomTom supplied one (from your original back up or you can download it again). Then you will have some sounds available for other POIs. Also I'm not sure if the system will get upset if there isn't a data.chk file there at all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
I assume I can delete the data.chk file and just keep the data04.chk and data05.chk files ??
NO, leave the data.chk file alone, whilst you might not be using it, it is needed for the software to work correctly, the data05 and data06 files are navigation voices so these are needed as well, if its all working correctly I would recommend that you back up the card to the PC (just in case) and leave it alone, just use it for now - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike/Andy,
I subscribe to the "If it aint broke, don't fix it" rule too. Sound advice. I had backed it up.
Thanks again,
Barry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: