Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPS camera database vs. TomTom camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPS camera database vs. TomTom camera database
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the major difference in the two databases is the quality of update. Every subscriber to the PGPS database is a potential reporter, with a great incentive to be the first to give details of a new camera. (Free lifetime subscription to the database). As a result, there are many members rushing to report any camera that does not alarm on the most recent update.

Tom Tom doesn't have this mass of reporters, and as a result, their database is much less reliable.

BUT BUT BUT, even though PGPS is by far the most reliable, there is still a flaw, which every database contains. As I said, the first to report a new camera gets free membership. However, there are many new cameras appearing every update, and the camera may have been operating for a short time before being spotted. Even then, after it has been reported, there is only one update a month. So there could be several weeks of operation before the camera appears on the database. So, yes, by all means treat the database as 99% valid, but don't forget the remaining 1%.

Finally, no database can allow for the policeman with the handheld, who gets bored and decides to have a few under his belt before the end of the shift. No database can predict where he is going to set up. We had one a while back in Bedfordshire about half a mile after the fixed camers. He caught a shed-load who had passed the camera at the correct speed, and then promptly speeded up. I've even seen this set up after a scamera van. That's really sneaky.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckie008 wrote:
I have agreed to receive newsletters, etc in my profile but received no email notification about the 2 previous updates.
Why not use the RSS Feed. It's updated everytime there is a new Update.;)

Copy http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-rss.php to your FeedReader.

TomDavison wrote:
... Even then, after it has been reported, there is only one update a month.
Where have you been.Smile

Have you seen THIS?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is it possible to use the PGPSW camera database and symbols (gatso, specs etc.) ie. upload as a POI file but also with the TomTom speed signs and "countdown" in the top left hand corner. I'm guessing this would need someone to write a small application which would also need uploading.

Perhaps some would regard this as overkill but I like the idea of being able to see what camera type I should be looking for but also having a flashing speed warning on the screen and a distance countdown.

Could of course use both in tandem but the data is bound to conflict or upload PGPSW database twice with different POI symbols but this wouldn't look as neat.

Thanks - Nick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the speed zoned setup and configure the Warn When Near POI the PGPSW database does exactly what you are requesting - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
duckie008 wrote:
I have agreed to receive newsletters, etc in my profile but received no email notification about the 2 previous updates.

All this stuff about RSS and newsletters confuses me. I simply did what it said first post in the sticky :- Visit this page and at the very bottom, click on "Watch this Topic", it never fails me, I get an e-mail every time there's an update issued.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39307
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even with 'only warn when POI is on route' selected for a PGPS camera, there seems to be an area of a hundred yards or so around my route that also warns me of a camera.

Quote:
This seeded to change with one of the last V5 software updates. Originally, if "only when on route" was ticked, my unit ignored anything that was even an inch of the route. Now, if I am travelling on a motorway and passing a junction, any a camera POI on the roundabout at the end of the slip-road will trigger an alert. It seems like the entire junction system has been included in "the route" (even though it doesn't show up in the on-route colour on the map).

I don't think I ever upgraded to v5 - started with a GO300 in May 2005 on v5.x?x already, now on a GO700. I always have "only warn on route" selected and I've had this happening for just about as long as I can remember - Junction 16 on M5 gives me all the variations underneath and around - redlights, mobiles, the lot and I get nearby gatsos at many M'way junctions. It doesn't seem to be everything though. Puzzling. I sometimes wonder if it's cameras which are recorded as bi-directional orientation, but then, I wonder all sorts of funny things since I got old!!
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thanks for this, I'll check on my friend's and see which POI's are loaded, I don't have a TomTom yet but he liked the set up on my old Garmin and we were trying to come up with something similar.

Cheers - Nick
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One good thing I have noticed about the TT database is that it seems to be directional i.e. where a camera is only for the other direction, it is shown but does not alert.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: