Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 redraw rate .. comparing 2 x i3's back to back.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 redraw rate .. comparing 2 x i3's back to back.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got new unit. Upgraded from 2.60 to 2.70.

No screen lag, white space etc.. etc..

It really shows that 3.10 can seroiusly mess up 'some' i3's. Mine had become more or less unusable in 3D map mode, so I am now happy!!

:D Mussey1.
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: 2.82 beta. Reply with quote

Has any one used filmware 2.82 beta? If so is it any good or better than filmware 2.70.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beta is what it says, a beta version which aint a proper one...dont use mate cos theres plenty of other versions out there...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
beta is what it says, a beta version which aint a proper one...dont use mate cos theres plenty of other versions out there...

A bit harsh in this example, I feel.

There were a number of users who were most happy with 2.82 - myself included. The only downside I saw, being that POIs were not categorised to your location - so you simply got the nearest 50 POIs, rather than the nearest 50 POIs for each category.

Were that not a problem. 2.82 seemed to me to be enhanced by the improvement to the timing of voice prompts, but not having any of the lag or crash / freeze issues of the later firmware versions.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a beta version is available to the general public and will normally contain bugs that the user will hopefully find and report back to the company...if someone is willing to 'test' the software thats fine, but personnelly i would'nt...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
a beta version is available to the general public and will normally contain bugs that the user will hopefully find and report back to the company...if someone is willing to 'test' the software thats fine, but personnelly i would'nt...

Ignoring the stock quote on the subject - are you actually reading and digesting what people are saying on the subject?

Myself and others have said that _on merit_, compared with a number of other versions, 2.82 beta is pretty good. As it's been superceded by 3 firmware versions, I don't think you need to concern yourself about doing Garmin's work for them.

Some people have chosen 2.82 purely on it's merits, in retrospect, compared with later versions, because it has the stability and performance of 2.70, the improved timing of voice prompts, and not blighted with stability or slowness issues that seem apparent in later versions of firmware.

The only apparent downside, is the well documented issue with lack of POI categories.

So I think we can dispense with the stock comments about beta software - it's largely irrelevant in this case.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the question was 'Has any one used filmware 2.82 beta? If so is it any good or better than filmware 2.70.'.....i gave my feelings about 'beta' versions....
end of story..

i dedicate my 1000th post to you lester...
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
the question was 'Has any one used filmware 2.82 beta? If so is it any good or better than filmware 2.70.'.....i gave my feelings about 'beta' versions....
end of story..

Yeah you did - but it was just like some potted paragraph you'd read on wikipedia.

Numerous people from this forum have tried numerous firmware versions, and have seemingly reverted to 2.82 - ON MERIT.

All I'm saying is that it's hardly in beta any more, people are using it OUT OF CHOICE given later "live" versions, and your contribution is merely the generic that anybody could read from a definition of "beta" software.

zogman wrote:
i dedicate my 1000th post to you lester...

I'd like to thank the academy...
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have once again been having map problems with the replacemant unit that I received, i.e white space/sticky redraw etc.

I have once again tried a 'new' i3 without the transflash and it works perfectly!!

I feel that the 'older' units may be problematic as the map data has to be read from the card, rather than from internal memory.

Anyone with a 'new' i3 having problems or is it reserved only for the 'older' units?

Mussey1
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant see the fact that the older i3's read of the card being an issue...there's dodgy 'older' i3's about and i should think there's dodgy new ones as well...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: