Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New maps worth it ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New maps worth it ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so things have just got ... worse.

Forgive me if Im wrong but arent newer products supposed to be better (!) Laughing Out Loud I really dont understand what is happening. Ive got a GO 910 with version 6.100 but am not sure what map version I am using (could someone please advise on how to check ?). Also, when I try updating it doesnt give me anything via TT home.

Not very happy with this unit and feel Ive just wasted a LOT of money Sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
I want my Garmin back Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Enter EC4N 6HT, House No 0 (I did it before you said it was No 88 ) in the Garmin i3 and it returns "Cannon Street, EC4N 6HT".

My son's TomTom 500 doesn't know about a bypass opened near here 2 years ago; my i3 does.

After seeing his Tom Tom I really wanted one but couldn't afford it, so bought the i3. Haven't regretted it at all.

I'm following this thread because I'm thinking of getting him new maps for Christmas. It'll be good to hear the opinions of other users first.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...
Sorry, missed the last couple of replies as I was composing mine while doing other things.

Question Nudda... you ARE typing it in without any spaces aren't you? Question
All postcodes need to be entered like "EC4N6HT"
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Yeah, but what I was getting at was you can't really blame TomTom (who buy - or actually probably just licence - the Postcode data from the Post Office.
If the Post Office's own site doesn't recognise the postcode, they haven't got a chance. Is it actually a just misprint on the Carphone Warehouse Website?

surely they should be writing on their product pages that post code searches cannot be guaranteed ? £450 on this is a lot of money so I expect them to get it right ... at any price because theyre making a lot of money. Thing is its happened on quite a few post codes not just this one ... so whats the use of having a TT iwith 1m accuracy if it cant be accurate from the start ?? Rolling Eyes
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find typing it in with spaces or without yields the same result.

Interesting how Cannon street is further down the list and corresponds to different post codes hmmm Is there something Im missing out about postcodes in my 22 years in the UK Rolling Eyes
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you put "1 Canon Street, London" in their Postcode Finder, you get:

1 Canon Street
LONDON
N1 7DB

Canon Street (ONE 'n') is London N1, Cannon Street (TWO 'n's) is London EC4!

GIGO!!! Wink
Samsung Galaxy S21
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcodes really need continuous updates to be accurate - I used to work for a company that used them for geolocation and to even have a hope you needed to subscribe to the monthly postoffice updates.. you would get whole towns having their postcodes changed suddenly just because a new estate got built. It's relatively cheap to do this (in corporate money anyway).. IIRC a few thousand a year.

Some of TTs postcodes haven't been updated in a year or more, so it's not surprising they're hopelessly wrong in places.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anita, I was going to reply with a Embarassed , but then realised I'd just copied and pasted from one of nudda's posts Wink .

Good to see they've improved the software so it doesn't matter if you put spaces in though. (That's something that drives me mad on on-line forms when they ask for a credit card number).
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from looking at that screen shot TT are assuming 1 postcode == 1 street. that might work for europe but has just no chance in the UK - there are many streets with multiple postcodes, and many postcodes that cover multiple streets.

I don't know how it's coded but if they are doing something like that then the postcode search will only ever get you into the right general region, never down to the actual zone.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
Also from looking at that screen shot TT are assuming 1 postcode == 1 street. that might work for europe but has just no chance in the UK - there are many streets with multiple postcodes, and many postcodes that cover multiple streets.

You dont know that at all.They will just be using the file given to them by the post office, so it just happens that for those addresses, 1 postcode does equate to 1 street.

FWIW, sometimes companies have a postcode that bears no relationship to their geographic address, it will be actually be a sorting office soemwhere else!, so relying on postcode can be dodgy, especially for larger companies.

Finally, the original poster, trying to find a particular location via a postcode, could just have put the actual address in, since he knew it in the first place, apparently!

Tw
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed: I knew the whole address but I used to always rely on post codes when I had my garmin and it did a superb job so I dont understand why this expensive tomtom cant.

Plus, if I search for a street, multiple streets come up and if I choose the wrong one (say theres two Victoria streets both in central london) then Ill be heading to the wrong location .... only finding out when I get there.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Post Office website even a complete 7 digit postcode only identifies a group of up to 80 addresses.
Obviously in a heavily and tightly populated area such as London it's quite likely that postcodes will change mid street.

I always believed, maybe incorrectly, that a postcode search took you to the approx centre of that particular postcode area. Hence the example of a particular postcode locating a street nearby.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way it should be is that tomtom should ask for a postcode AND building number. There can not be more than one building with the same number on the same street so this should be accurate enough.

At the moment tomtom will ask you the city, street then number (and its quite accurate at this) but postcode search isnt all that powerful IMHO.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have also added that equally in less densely populated areas a 7 digit postcode may apply to 2, 3 or even more streets.

I know of one regularly used example where both a Garmin Nuvi and TT910 indicate the location to be in a neighbouring road to the one I'm searching for. However as I've already noted I believe a postcode search goes to the approx centre of that particular postcode.

Also, a friend used the postcode in the built in satnav system in his Mercedes when travelling to my house for the first time. It actually brought him to right outside the front door. As I don't have a property big enough to have it's own postcode it must be that I live in the centre of my postcode area.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I also live in the centre of my post code area , in the middle of the street that coressponds to the post code.

Funnily, it does ask for house number when not doing a post code search (but a city, street building number search) so either thats for accuracy or to find out which street name you intend to go on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: