Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio P350 + Wifi Card better than P550?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio P350 + Wifi Card better than P550?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
I think the probs people are experiencing with the P550 fall into two camps.

Firstly, those who have difficulty getting a fix with TomTom. This seems to be easily solvable by using VisualGPSce and CEMonitor to setup the unit correctly so TomTom doesn't have to open the COM ports.

Secondly (my experience) is a prob with general GPS sensitivity. This thread shows a difference between the P350 and 550 in GPS sensitivity that seems to be echoed by quite a lot of people with the unit.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56706

So far I've been testing using Tomtom and MemoryMap and the average satellites in fix seems to concur with the stats quoted (i.e. 5 on average .. between 3-6 in fix) compared with 7 on average for the P350.

For me personally I want the unit primarily for GPS so if the P350 is more sensitive then I may send my P550 back. The above thread (French version) also claims that Mio have admitted to the difference in sensitivity by email but so far cannot find a reason why!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, it was only the second point to which I was referring, and it was the validity of those results which I actually questioned.

Although not questioning the conclusions, I felt that the method of testing invalidated any results. I felt that the only way to obtain meaningful results would be if both units were tested from the same location at the same time; as we all know how the quality of the GPS signal varies between location and over time (sometimes even a few minutes) - it is even affected by atmospheric conditions. So for me, the fact that the tests were carried out on diferrent days invalidates any comparisons - there isn't even a control!

Now this is not to say that the GPS signal was 'better' when the P550 was tested, and that its performance even worse - just that there is no way of knowing from the information provided.

As you are thinking, I would send your unit back - it may well be one of the 'faulty' ones. What I was trying to say, was that until tests are carried out on units which are known to be free of the known faults, representative results cannot be obtained.

It will be interesting to see how a replacement unit fares - I do hope that someone will post again once it is known.
Gavwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even get Microsoft ActiveSync to connect to my Mio P550. I've only had it a few days, tried all kinds of tricks and am going to send it back.

No joy at all with trying to get a satellite to fix and I've tried all possible settings.

It's a real shame as the WiFi connection is sound (better than my Netgear card).

Guess it's back my trusty iPAQ rz1710 for me...

Gav

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: