Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - broken i3 and Halfrauds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

broken i3 and Halfrauds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i'd go back to halfords and tell thewm that garmin gave you an rma and instructed you to go tell halfords to replace it!

yeah it was a bit tricky cause I've hard wired the ower cable in via an addtional cigrette lighter socket behind dash so didn't want to return the whole package or I would have just asked for money back. And no stock in local store and refuse to crawl to the 17 chavs who work int he Tunbridge Wells store - and pretend to be grateful to them for doing what is legally my right. Think I will follow paul's advice and write a disgusted of TW letter.....
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..the sale of goods act says that you have a "reasonable length of time to test the goods" hence the 28 day rule. Once that reasonable time period has elapsed then you are seen by the SOGA to have accepted the goods thus cancelling the right to a refund. The retailer then has to either replace the goods or repair them once a fault has been established. Seeing as retailers are not software experts then the best people to ascertain the fault is the manufacturer(hence the contact with garmin).
Because the contract is with the retailer hence the option to "contact the manufacturer for you" is provided, though in reality the quickest option is for the customer to do it themselves. The retailer is not obliged to offer a replacement if it is not cost effective for them to do so, hence the rma number. This means that halfords will get full credit for the unit and won't have a second hand unit sat on the side of the shop which they will have to sell at a loss to clear out. The sale of goods act is indeed loaded to your advantage but it is a complex piece of work and sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the sale of goods act says that you have a "reasonable length of time to test the goods" hence the 28 day rule.

The SOGA specifies no period and is clear that no period is specified. The 28 day is a figure plucked from the air by Halfords and means nothing with regards to the SOGA. Under the SOGA you 6 months in some cases and the SOGA can be used up to 5 years after the purchase in some circumstances.

Quote:
Once that reasonable time period has elapsed then you are seen by the SOGA to have accepted the goods thus cancelling the right to a refund.

Hmm.....

Quote:
The retailer is not obliged to offer a replacement if it is not cost effective for them to do so

I believe this is also contrary to the SOGA. The retailer has no such "get out" as they are obliged to provide a refund or replacement. I also understand that under some circumstances if they cannot provide a replacement they must offer a free upgrade to another model of higher value, if they are not willing to provide a refund.

Quote:
This means that halfords will get full credit for the unit and won't have a second hand unit sat on the side of the shop which they will have to sell at a loss to clear out.

Pretty sure this is rubbish. The unit will go back to the wholesaler, who then sends the unit to the manufacturer via every other link in the chain. Halfords will not be stuck with a "second hand unit sat on the side of the shop" unless a) it is faulty and they fail to get their supplier to deal with the defective unit or b) they gave a refund on a working unit. If the unit is indeed working then Halfords shouldn't have taken it back.

Quote:
Seeing as retailers are not software experts then the best people to ascertain the fault is the manufacturer

Doesn't matter if it is a software fault or not the customer has to be able to demonstrate the fault. The fault should then be apparent to the retailer and they should then recognise the unit is faulty. Also staff should know the products they sell sufficiently well enough to recognise a faulty unit or not. They don't have to find the fault just recognise a non / mis-functioning one.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the DTI own website - http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:-Qwfdm9xwJoJ:www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm+dti+sale+of+goods&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en

This is a cached version as the site has been revamped and i can't find the new page.

Q2. Do I only have rights for 30 (or some other figure) days after purchase?

No. Depending on circumstances, you might be too late to have all your money back after this time, but the trader will still be liable for any breaches of contract, such as the goods being faulty. In fact, the trader could be liable to compensate you for up to six years.

Q13. What does the "reversed burden of proof" mean for the consumer?

It means that for the first six months the consumer need not produce any evidence that a product was inherently faulty at the time of sale.
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..whilst I don't wish to spark a debate about knowledge of the SOGA!

(1) The 28 day rule is seen by trading standards as a reasonable length of time which is why it is used not only by halfords but many other retailers.Do you honestly think that they would not consult with TS and legal departments before specifying this timeframe?

(2) Once you have accepted the goods then you forfeit the right to a full refund, acceptance could be interpreted as customisation (POI's) or evidence of frequent usage. Of course it can be replaced or repaired but tomtom, garmin, navman, medion will not allow a unit back for credit after a month. They will only repair it. A replacement is at the discretion of the retailer who will have to sell the then repaired/ refurbished unit at his own loss, trust me I know!! And sometimes, just sometimes retailers will take back a unit just to maintain customer relations knowing full well that the "fault" is down to either lack of understanding of product, no computer to obtain upgrades, can't be arsed to read instructions, bad operation, lack of onderstanding of what they require or simply that they are cheesed off that the unit they bought 3 months ago is now £100 cheaper down to argos unable to sell the vast amounts they ordered in last summer!! Once again..trust me, I know!

(3) Can you tell me how on earth I can prove that a unit is not faulty?!
A retailer is entitled by law to get the unit verified for a fault, and who better than the manufacturer of the damn thing, hence the right to call tomtom, garmin, et al.

I don't wish to come across as precious about this but it seems as though we are( certain satnav retailers beginning with h) trying to give the impression that its a case of we've had your money so tough! But this is really not the case. I pride myself on giving bloody good service regarding satnav and train my team likewise so that word of mouth spreads good things about my store ensuring repeat custom many times over and sometimes I get sick of the few that slam their so called defective tomtom on the counter spewing their rights to a full refund so he can get this years full upgrade and a token sum in his pocket for his troubles!
'Rant over!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The unit will go back to the wholesaler, who then sends the unit to the manufacturer via every other link in the chain. Halfords will not be stuck with a "second hand unit sat on the side of the shop" unless a) it is faulty and they fail to get their supplier to deal with the defective unit or b) they gave a refund on a working unit. If the unit is indeed working then Halfords shouldn't have taken it back.
This isn't true for at least 1 of the SatNav units Halfords used to sell - Halfords were able to sell it cheaper than anyone else simply because they negotiated a lower buy price - but included in that deal was an agreement that Halfords would bear the costs of all unit failures and returns. I wonder if this agreement (and the number of returns they suffered) has anything to do with this issue - if the unit is returned back to the manufacturer (on behalf of the customer - ie no refund / credit given) Halfords aren't out of pocket - if they give a credit / refund, potentially Halfords have a unit they can't send back.
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case the unit had three discernable faults two of which I could demonstrate in sotre and the third I could have done if I had had my laptop. In fact when I called Garmin the said yes its brken as soon as I mentioned the speaker (a known fault I thought at that point).

So I wasn't just trying it on - all I wanted was a replacement unit - surely they could have seen that. I worked in retail for 5 years and I could tell those who were genuine and those who were trying it on.

I can on contrast this with issues I had with my broadband router. I was having big issues with it... the supplier spent a lot of time trying to help me sort it out and then finally 12 weeks later swapped it out for brand new kit.... they were excellent and a beacon of good shining in a world of crap service
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if this agreement (and the number of returns they suffered) has anything to do with this issue - if the unit is returned back to the manufacturer (on behalf of the customer - ie no refund / credit given) Halfords aren't out of pocket - if they give a credit / refund, potentially Halfords have a unit they can't send back.

They signed up to that agreement to bear the cost of the faulty units, it doesn't give them license to dodge the SOGA. The same is true for my wife's employer (retailer beginning with W). I only found out last night that if a unit comes back as faulty then W refund the customer and send the unit for destruction. W bear the cost of the dead unit. No referring it back to Garmin, TomTom etc etc This as per their agreement with the wholesaler and is in line with the SOGA. Making a customer go back to the manufacturer is not in line with the SOGA.

Quote:
The 28 day rule is seen by trading standards as a reasonable length of time which is why it is used not only by halfords but many other retailers.

It maybe used but it is not set in stone legally.

Quote:
Do you honestly think that they would not consult with TS and legal departments before specifying this time frame?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31710&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Also remember "Store Policy" is not legal. SOGA is. Doesn't matter what H decide the "Store Policy" is they can't override your statutory rights. 28 days cannot be set in stone because the SOGA says itself the "Reasonable period" will vary from sale to sale.

Quote:
Can you tell me how on earth I can prove that a unit is not faulty?!

Read the SOGA. Within 6 months of purchase the customer doesn't have to prove it IS faulty, just state that it was a the time of purchase.

Q13. What does the "reversed burden of proof" mean for the consumer?

It means that for the first six months the consumer need not produce any evidence that a product was inherently faulty at the time of sale.

H and many other retailer give excellent service. I use my H regularly but the fact remains that H and many other retailers negotiate discounts by agreeing to accept losses and then try to dodge their end of the agreement.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
They signed up to that agreement to bear the cost of the faulty units, it doesn't give them license to dodge the SOGA.
Indeed - I should have made that clearer - I was simply adding to the debate on why Halfords may have written such a policy, even if it doesn't stand up to the SoGA.
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well - good news. Garmin replaced it with a new one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: