Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Having a mare with Copilot 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Having a mare with Copilot 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
... you don't need to use the desktop application to create the camera files for the PPC. You can simply delete the AO*.* files on the PPC, drop the OV2 and BMP files in, and restart CoPilot.

I thought that I had made it clear that I was not talking about maintaining the camera database on the desktop. I was referring to the creation of the files for the SD card, which unless you buy a package with the SD card pre-loaded, you will have to do at least once.

I am not suggesting that your method does not work, or work well, it is just that (due to my background in software development) I know that it is usually safer not to produce anything which then needs to be deleted.

Even though I am not currently using the ov2 files, it is something I do intend to do once I am satisfied that they will work in the way I require. The lack of detailed information on how CoPilot and ov2 files work is certainly a bit of a problem; testing when you only have one pda/licence and still need to use CoPilot on a regular basis is not ideal.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following further investigations and testing, I am satisfied that you can delete the pre-installed cameras by deleting the AOPOI*.* files from the save directory in the desktop; it is not essential to use the custom places manager. However, I have found issues if you delete the other files starting 'AO' should you ever wish to import custom POIs into the desktop application.

Although the files are re-created; when you come to applying the category to any POIs you chose to import via csv files, you will find that some of the previously held categories are no longer present.

When it is fully working (which is definately not the case for me at the moment) I fully accept that the OV2 method will be the preferred method, however, if you know what you are doing, there are still situations where adding POIs via import custom places on the desktop will still be my preferred choice.

Untill I install the long awaited patch, I will not be able to investigate the issues around this matter and how they affect me, and may well find (or be told) that more files can be safely deleted, or that less files have to be. It is simply a matter, that if I delete every AO*.* file, I have problems.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use other custom POI's, but you would definitely have to reload them after deleting the AO*.* files.

If other POI's are being loaded from CSV files, then you could always try converting them to OV2 files (using MAKEOV2.exe from the TomTom site). The OV2 file for each POI type would need to be renamed to the required name within CP6.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with your assertions that .csv files can be converted to ov2 files, the situation I was thinking about was where you wish to add POIs to one of the default CoPilot categories. I think that the only way to do this is via a csv file. If my (limited so far) understanding is correct, ov2 files are added as a separate category under custom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: