Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 beta 2.8 upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 beta 2.8 upgrade
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
whilst on the subject of positioning i believe the best place is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it is out of your forward view and has the best chance of a signal as it is away from trees, buildings etc.

But be aware that sitting in traffic on a summers day with the window it is the ideal location for someone to grab.

In TRAFFIC, on a summers day, and window open - with fumes? Are you mad! ;-)

That's what air-con is for.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In TRAFFIC, on a summers day, and window open - with fumes? Are you mad!

Yes - clearly.....

Just a warning. I guess living near London I'm no longer surprised by what people get up to these days. If the traffic stops for a micro-second in my local town then all of a sudden the pedestrians develop "Lemming Syndrome" and wander aimlessly into the road. Thieves are becoming more and more opportunist these days - my step son has twice been the victim of attempted mugging where someone has just taken his mobile from his hand whilst he was talking into it WALKING down the high street in broad daylight. Recently someone has been convicted of stealing Sat Nav from Ambulances even though they are no good outside an Ambulance http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4578316.stm - see also http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4788506.stm .I'm sure I've also seen a story about someone who grabbed a Sat Nav in the way i described whilst a car sat at traffic lights. If i saw it happen to the car in front of me i don't think I'd be very surprised anymore.

Just something to think on....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
In TRAFFIC, on a summers day, and window open - with fumes? Are you mad!

Yes - clearly.....

Just a warning. I guess living near London I'm no longer surprised by what people get up to these days. If the traffic stops for a micro-second in my local town then all of a sudden the pedestrians develop "Lemming Syndrome" and wander aimlessly into the road. Thieves are becoming more and more opportunist these days - my step son has twice been the victim of attempted mugging where someone has just taken his mobile from his hand whilst he was talking into it WALKING down the high street in broad daylight. Recently someone has been convicted of stealing Sat Nav from Ambulances even though they are no good outside an Ambulance http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4578316.stm - see also http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4788506.stm .I'm sure I've also seen a story about someone who grabbed a Sat Nav in the way i described whilst a car sat at traffic lights. If i saw it happen to the car in front of me i don't think I'd be very surprised anymore.

Just something to think on....

Don't get me wrong - I'm with you about risks when driving in cities. For example, I'd always have the car locked.

And I would always have the windows shut. But I'd mainly have the windows shut, because: a) in a city, and with congestion, it's not likely to be nice air that drifts in, and b) I prefer driving with all windows shut, and use the fans and air-con where necessary, to achieve a nice ambient temperature.

Most cars seem to have air-con, these days, so keeping the windows up is a better idea for getting the temperature as you want it. And driving in cities, is most likely going to present a security risk, plus allow poor air in -especially in congestion.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i agree. But not everyone does have / use AirCon.

Just a warning that's all.
005clive
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
But be aware that sitting in traffic on a summers day with the window it is the ideal location for someone to grab.

Window open on a summers day in the uk what about the rain

Tom Tom 720T
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Laughing Out Loud

It helps keep the outside of the car dry.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i have said earlier i have not encountered "bad" issues with the 2.82 in fact the earlier voice prompts have kept me going with it.

is there a stigma attached to using betas, surely they are there to be used and abused so that we all can benefit in the long run.

are you chicken, go on be a Twisted Evil you know you want to beta your i3.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
as i have said earlier i have not encountered "bad" issues with the 2.82 in fact the earlier voice prompts have kept me going with it.

is there a stigma attached to using betas, surely they are there to be used and abused so that we all can benefit in the long run.

are you chicken, go on be a Twisted Evil you know you want to beta your i3.

As somebody who went to 2.82 when it was released, I think that if you've decided it's not for you, then why bother, until a stable release comes out.

If the improved features aren't of that much importance to people, I can completely understand why they'd stay with what they've got until a pukka version gets released.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the question really is how many people actually use the beta options with a view to improving the forthcoming latest release.

or is because it is a beta that they stay away, hence we have to have very clever people who can manipulate the systems with computer knowledge, within these forums who make the i3 very more user friendly and with the added benefits that you the user want instead of pushing these ideas through the beta system back to garmin.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
i think the question really is how many people actually use the beta options with a view to improving the forthcoming latest release.

or is because it is a beta that they stay away, hence we have to have very clever people who can manipulate the systems with computer knowledge, within these forums who make the i3 very more user friendly and with the added benefits that you the user want instead of pushing these ideas through the beta system back to garmin.

Well I know that I and others reported the change / bug in POI categorisation in 2.82, to Garmin, and were told it was unintended and would be fixed.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

005clive wrote:

I have it on good authority than the v3.0 firmware will include a 'Moisture = high/medium/low' system setting enhancement... Laughing

Aitch
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've decided to give the beta version a try so we will see how it performs. As for the i3 being nicked through the window - as a city dweller in the UK, weather+pollution+noise = rarely have window down!
However, they are not averse to simply opening the door and whacking you nowadays so as they said in Hill Street Blues, " Take care out there people". :D
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look forward to hearing your views both Laughing and Sad
2carkev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the beta version for quite a few weeks now and have travelled to and from the south coast up to Edinburgh calling at lots of cities in between.

Apart from the POI categorisation (which i'm not too bothered about) I have had no problems at all, in fact the earlier voice prompts has shown to be extremely usefull as I have had a hell of lot less of 'Nagging Nora' saying "recalculating" !!!!

In all it has saved me in both time and fuel by not going past my turning and I would definitely recommend anyone to try it. :D
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fully agree with you the earlier voice prompts are very handy, even at slow speeds it gives at distances in feet !

i also opted to change my map view aswell.

selecting top up view with more detail i found the system now very user friendly. the early voice prompts with better visuals on the maps particularily where rounabouts and major motorway junctions are concerned a bonus.

dont know if it is my imagination but the map seems to refresh quicker.

the map view also helps when the safety camera bongs over the directions, you can clearly see, at a glance instead

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: