Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin vs TomTom vs Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin vs TomTom vs Navman
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
I have mine set for about 600 yards or thereabouts. This allows for the time lag when doing 70mph!

I have the same trouble when doing 20mph, but I will try 600 yards.

THANKS
navboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
I have mine set for about 600 yards or thereabouts. This allows for the time lag when doing 70mph!

I tried 600 and and it worked.

Great advice

Thanks. :P
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Navman's customer service:

I've just found a telephone number for Navman UK sales and spoke to a sales rep. I've got to say he was very helpful and apologetic for the lack of a reply to my e-mails. He said they usually reply to all e-mails.

I was told that the 520 has the latest (just released) mapping software and this will not be superseded for around 12 months. He confirmed that there isn't any mapping software upgrade for the 520 in September - as posted in another thread on the Navman iCN 5xx forum.

For those who want to upgrade their 510 to the latest mapping software, the unconfirmed prices will be around £79 for one country and around £149 for Europe.

He said the 520 runs faster due to the newer mapping software.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northbynorthwest, where were you submitting your emails through? I've been reading your posts regarding the lack of email response and have never had a problem with Navman customer support, so decided to try for myself. Clicked on the "Send us an email" link, filled in their webform and clicked Next. It's takes a bit of time for the screen to change (bout 4 minutes Confused then it come back and suggests a couple of FAQ's, then you click send. I sent an email everyday since monday, and have had a response to EVERY one! Suspect...
northbynorthwest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambitgander wrote:
Northbynorthwest, where were you submitting your emails through? I've been reading your posts regarding the lack of email response and have never had a problem with Navman customer support, so decided to try for myself. Clicked on the "Send us an email" link, filled in their webform and clicked Next. It's takes a bit of time for the screen to change (bout 4 minutes Confused then it come back and suggests a couple of FAQ's, then you click send. I sent an email everyday since monday, and have had a response to EVERY one! Suspect...

Suspect...... Rolling Eyes

I left an e-mail on their website here, pressed submit and almost instantly got back "Message Sent. Thank You.". No wait of four minutes! I've used webforms many times without a problem and have no reason to think that my message wasn't sent to Navman. I've no complaint with Navman customer services, like I said, the chap I spoke to was very helpful. Perhaps the retailer I bought the 510 from and myself were just unlucky in not getting a reply to our e-mails.

.......................an e-mail every day since Monday Question :D
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"themitch"

to answer your question about which unit is best, I think all of the units mentioned have issues. I bought the Garmin C320. I had a Garmin streetpilot III before, I was happy with that for 3 years, until the tomtom go/icn510/C320 came out.

From information I have read, the Tomtom seems to have the best interface/graphics/sound, but it let down by its teleatlas maps and issues with dropping satellite locks(see the tomtom forum on here).

From information I have read, the Navman has the best physical form, with the best routing options, but is again let down by its teleatlas maps, problems not picking up satellites, and seems to have numerous technical issues.

With the issues in mind on the other two units, I decided to choose the safe option, the Garmin C320. I have found the unit to be reliable, with good sound and 3d graphics. As with the other two units it has its weaknesses. The garmin is an excellent performer when driving a route. The interface could be much improved at the route planning stage. There is no "avoid road" function, routing options are limited to shortest of fastest route. I also found the route summary screen to basic and fiddly. The unit does not list a route summary. You have to view each step in the route. The C320 mount, while good, it annoyingly has a hard wired wount, with the cigarette lighter adapter(even thought the C320 can be run from battery). This means I dont leave the mount in the car, due to the lead hanging down when not in use.

"themitch", to summarize, I would say all the units have issues, but looking at the forums on here, the garmin is the safe and reliable choice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: