Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Definitive list of problems with TTN5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Definitive list of problems with TTN5
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise that we were beta testing TTN5, :x :x :x

Carlos,
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route calculation and address finder takes much longer on Palm than on v4.42. I used to be able to have a 400 mile route in under a minute - now it's nearer 3 minutes.
tom_m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANother problem I've noticed - the option to "ask if a route includes a toll road" doesn't work if the route includes the Severn Bridge Westbound (or the Second Severn Crossing Westbound) - not sure if this should be submitted as a map-error (although another unrelated error I reported last year is still in the new maps)

Eastbound there is no toll. Westbound there is.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice if it told you where the tolls were and gave you a choice to choose which ones you wanted to avoid. For example, if I route from South London to North London I am told there is a toll - is it the Dartford crossing or is it the Central London Congestion Charge? One is a lot cheaper than the other and the two routes are a very different character. I end up having to say "yes" - find it routes through London, tell it I want to avoid "London" have it reroute - then say "yes" again when the new route also has a toll on it. If I say "no" it still wants to head lemming like towards central London and then squeeze over Tower Bridge.
djohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Unit is Tom Tom 5 running on an iPAQ H5550 using an Emtac GPSJAQ sleeve.

1) Inability to access other apps. My way to get around this was to define my iPaQ H5550 keys to launch my wireless screen (which I use most often to switch from WIFI to Bluetooth etc) I also use the task button. Not ideal for many people though.

2) I also noticed a glitch where Tom TOm would say turn left/right etc way before the turning.

3) I am having to reset my iPAQ more often due to system crashes.

4) No Six Digit post code search when upgrading from TT3 to 5.

5) When initiating a Traffic update via WIFI, Tom Tom would also try to initiate a BlueTooth connection even when my Bluetooth was turned off.

6) I use an Emtac GPSJAQ. After I installed my upgrade, I was unable to get Tom Tom to recognise the GPS receiver. I figured it out by guessing. Unnacceptable for novices.

7) I haven't tested the time to destination problem described by a previous forum member. But this is a bad problem if it's true. Because I rely a fair bit on this.

9) Noticed that sometimes the Tom Tom screen moves all over the place for no apparent reason even though I have a good sat fix.

That's it for now but will add some more no doubt.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did several hundred miles driving with TT5 this weekend - new problems that I never saw in TT4 - so are probably new bugs -

1) TT4 could work out that to get to Essex from Surrey going through Central London was lunatic, and took very little pursuasion to go round the M25. TT5, even with the route palnned, and then London excluded, still wants me to go through London. I tried creating an itinerary with two waypoints one each end of the dartford Tunnel - TT5 wanted me to go to Central London, drive down the A2 to Dartford, drive back along the A2 to the Blackwall Tunnel, cross the river, back along the north side of the river to the M25, back to Central London, then up the M11 to my destination! TT4 was never this dumb! The solution was to drive to the M25 myself then get TT to navigate.

2) I set a favourite for my destination created using a postcode search. Two miles before I got to the location of the postcode TT told me I had reached my destination. I had to guess where to go from there. The Favorite is shown on the map view in the right place on the right road, but TT can't navigate to it.

3) Later in the day I used a TT inbulit POI to find petrol. TT5 directed me into a cemetary over half a mile from the petrol station. There was a destination symbol on the 3D view. It was just in the wrong place completly.

4) I found the petrol station by continuing to drive on as clearly I wasn't going to refuel there. when I left the petrol station I had asked TT to navigate home. It told me to turn right, which I did. A mile down the road, after passing several sets of light controlled roadworks, and with no side turnings whatsoever, TT5 suddenly says "Turn Around when Possible! Not only did I not know where I was going, but it is clear TT had no clue either!

I navigated a lot with TT4 and although it had its foibles, it always navigated precisely to the POI or other destination - I never had this phantom directions and strange arrival at destinations too early.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I had CP5 I had navman and what you are describing is the same routeing navman would do, with routeing like that you might as well throw it in the bin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: