Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Itinerary - Drive bys or destinations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Itinerary - Drive bys or destinations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: I give up! Reply with quote

Well I tried an itinerary with all recognised places and I still get the error if they are drive bys so I give up, I am going to have them all as destinations instead. Can anyone tell me if when I reach the first destination TT will automatically navigate to the next one and so on or do I have to do it manually?
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would have to do it manually .Probably the quickest way would be to save them all as poi's or favourites and tap "navigate to" the second one once you have reached the first!...and so on
Dave
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyfr wrote:
Hi Dave

It's strange that it allows navigating to or from an unnamed road home location but not in an itinerary. Confused
Not really, if you are adding a point as a drive by that is not on a public road then TT will not be able to find it in it's map data, were as your home location even though it is on an unnamed road, the exact location was specified by you pointing on the map and specifying that point as you home which is stored in position 1 of your favourites.
When you use the itinerary in TT you enter your drive by points and finish by selecting plan, TT then searches through it's map data for all the points and comes up with a route, if one of the points is off the public roads such as a Sainsbury's store and your point is the middle of the car park it will give you the error as it can't find it. If you move that point to the end of the public road, then it will plan the itinerary correctly.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham - All the drive bys were actual addresses the only one on an unrecognised road is my home which was both the starting and finishing location. I also tried a totally different itinerary using different drive bys and destination putting addresses in which I know are valid and I still got an error. Must be something to do with my installation. Confused

Dave - Can't I just keep tham all in the itinerary as destinations and then navigate to each one in turn? What is the advantage of storing them as POIs or favorites? Confused
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using your home as a starting location? Could this be the problem here. Remember for intineries you don't need to tell it where you are starting from, it knows where you are because you have a GPS!

The normal format should be
drive by,
drive by,
Destination.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i meant was ,there is no need to use the itinerary function (it won't work for you)..just choose the places you would have placed in your itinerary and save them as favourites or poi's and use the "navigate to" function

Dave
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Why are you using your home as a starting location?

Mark - I am trying to plan the itinerary at home without having the receiver switched on. As we live out in the sticks it just says "GPS position unreliable" so when it asks me for a starting location I put Home in.

Dave - As it will be a once only trip I thought this would be the best way rather than having them in favorites where I can't remove them from. :D
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Why are you using your home as a starting location? Could this be the problem here. Remember for intineries you don't need to tell it where you are starting from, it knows where you are because you have a GPS!

The normal format should be
drive by,
drive by,
Destination.

I explained this in an earlier post and he tried and failed to make it work I don't understand why Confused
Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andyfr"]
MarkHewitt wrote:
Why are you using your home as a starting location?

Mark - I am trying to plan the itinerary at home without having the receiver switched on. As we live out in the sticks it just says "GPS position unreliable" so when it asks me for a starting location I put Home in.

But have you also put home in as your final destination and then starting location last
Dave
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But have you also put home in as your final destination and then starting location last?

Yes I have. I even tried planning an itinerary with a different destination and start.
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Sorted! Reply with quote

Many thanks to Dave for his kind help over the phone. :D He talked me through the steps and it worked. However, when I added my drive bys in I got the error. :o So...I started from scratch and just added one at a time and the one that was causing the problem is an address in Oxford. 8O I got to the destination by typing in the postcode, then the street. then the number so it should work but for some strange reason it doesn't. Confused

So it wasn't TT or me but this particular address. Rolling Eyes
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried planning a route from your home to that address in Oxford?, It's most likely that the address in the form you are entering it is not in the database. There are certainly some addresses in TT that have either the street name labelled incorrectly or spelt differently to the recognised spelling.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
xda wrote:
Have you tried planning a route from your home to that address in Oxford?, It's most likely that the address in the form you are entering it is not in the database. There are certainly some addresses in TT that have either the street name labelled incorrectly or spelt differently to the recognised spelling.

Oxford is a town with many streets that you cannot go into them by car. May be that is causing the error. I got a similar problem before with a street was just for pedestrians.

So those streets are in the map, you can select points there but cannot get a route to them as they are not reachable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andyfr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the strange thing, yes I can navigate directly to that address and TT plans the route. It's outside Oxford on a lane and it has a house number and postcode which TT uses.

The way I got round it was to look up the long/lat and choose Go to coordinates and with trial and error got it to accept the main road it runs off. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: