Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 5 database deficiencies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 5 database deficiencies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, XDA for that. I now understand.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponderous ive just checked with my cp5 and it finds coniston grove under both middlesbourough and linthorpe

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776

Thank you for taking the trouble.

I have had the same experience on both a Dell X30 and a Dell X30, and I have changed SD cards. I have re-installed many times and am now using CP 5.0.1.48. Tim Buxton, your colleague, appears to confirm the problem, so I am wondering what can be causing this inconsistency of observation.

Could you please say what hardware you are using?

Could other users try this out and let me know their observations, please.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776

Could I please also ask you to confirm that you can get all the way to seeing CP 5 calculate the route. My CP 5 does find Coniston Grove for Middlesbrough in the early part of the datbase search. It is in the screen that includes slots for General Street, Nearby Address, Cross Street, etc. that the search fails.

Thanks again.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it plans a route using middlesbourgh though you do have to select a cross street ie ackham road (a1032) and it plans in around 5 seconds

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776

Thanks for that, although of course it is not quite as you implied.

I did in fact experiment when I first arrived in Middlesbrough to see if Cross-Streets in Nearby Cities (the feature you have now identified) helped. The location that I searched for then was Skippers Lane, which occurs in Ormesby, a nearby village that is not in the conurbation, as well as another village that is in the conurbation. As the first one on the list was in Ormesby, I experimented no further and therefore did not reach the present conclusion.

I have experimented with this before and come up with fruitless results that, frankly, I cannot now remember. I shall be tryying it out again now that you have shown that it works at least some of the time.

The "Skippers Lane problem" will no doubt occur elsewhere. Nevertheless, this is better than the position that I had reported, and it will at least be a partial, temporary, workaround.

Thank you again.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find exactly the same as Alix. I can locate Coniston Grove in Middlesbrough or Linthorpe, and can navigate to or from it as long as I put in a cross street. I'm using 5.0.1.48 on an iPAQ 2210.
It also found Skippers Lane in Ormesby or Middlesbrough, though it did appear to show a different postcode for each
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2

Yes, that is what I have confirmed and, as I said, I had not discovered this for myself. Therefore, I am a little unsure as to what you are suggesting..

This is a workaround which does not mean that Copilot's database facility is working properly. For, as you know, it shows nothing under Middlesbrough itself or, as a minmum requirement, nearby Cities. Finding the address entails going through the list of Cross Streets to see if there is more than one occurrence. Even inder Cross Streets, you will have seen that Coniston Grove is not shown as in Linthorpe or in Middlesbrough.

Having said this, if further testing shows that this is the only hitch, then I can certainly live with it for now.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update the thread after trying Cross Streets as a workaround for the failure of CP 5 to identify streets in the proper way.

Unfortunately, it often comes up with long lists of streets that are supposed to cross the desired street. Some may be in the required parish while some may not - CP 5 does not say where they are except that they are "near" some parish other than the one in which they are actually located (!!??). This means that the user is faced with setting the cross points as destinations in turn, then inspecting the map at each, until the required destination is found. This is prohibitively cumbersome.

Therefore, it remains necessary to use Pocket streets and/or a postcode finder like Geopostcode alongside CP 5. This is a far cry from CP 5 simply and efficiently finding the required street as implied earlier on this thread.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: