Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Re Tomtom Go 300 signal Problems Reply with quote

jimbokb wrote:
JimmyTheHand

It is good to know that I am not the only one with signal problems.
When you get your aerial i would be grateful if you could let me know if things improve and which aerial you bought.
If you dont mind could you email me direct at

Cheers

I'll be buying the official TTG 300 aerial so that won't be out until end of May Sad so I try and remember to email you when I have it and used it. I noticed someone else has posted about moding a orginal units aerial and has good signal.

Fortuantkey I don't really need the unit at the moment - so not in any real hurry, but will in September, so have got the unit to learn how to use.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbokb

Could you please do the following when and if you have a time:

- find an open space (such as a middle of a car park) with no tall buildings/trees nearby

-place your TTG on the roof of the car, wait till you get a lock and make a note of the number of the satellites in view and five highest SNR levels
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar

I will give the car park thing ago tomorrow (Sunday) and get back to you, am going to a computer fair so finding a deserted car park should not be a problem.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you can find it Laughing
anyway just standing out in the street should indicate if you unit is locking onto the satellites ok...
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info.

on my TTG (not the 300) I normally receieve 5 or 6 satellite signals at above 40 whilst outside our Renault Scenic (athermic windscreen). When I get into the car ALL the levels drop considerablt to less than 20 ! Lock is soon lost.

If you move the TTG to a side window the levels come up to around 30 to 35 and lock is reagained on about 4 or 5 satellites.

I was never very impressed with the signal levels inside the Renault or my Audi A4 (non athermic).

I have bought two TTG external aerial kits. These incorporate a 28 dB gain amplifier in the patch aerial. I have positioned them INSIDE the Reanault under the (RF transparent) rear parcel shelf. The Audi has it under the front dashboard.

I now get full scale (greater then 45) on at least 8 satellites and the TTG behave impecably.

I believe the external antenna/aerial kit gives a very worthwhile improvement to the performance of the TTG especially in built up or wooded areas.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 300, best place to mount it. Reply with quote

I have to say that I am a bit concerned about locating Tomtom near a side window since having it in the centre of the windscreen I am looking forward as i am driving, so when the signal is lost I can at least see when the next instruction is due i.e. next left,right turn etc which even though signal may be lost the next instruction remains including the distance to that instruction,I will however give it a try.

Can you supply a link to the site or a site where you bought your aerial(s) and any recommendation you have as to which one performs the best.

Many thanks for your input.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from PDAMods. The link is on the right of this page.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Tomtom Go Aerial(s) Reply with quote

Oldboy

No link on this page to PDA MODS, I had a look @ PDA MODS but was unable to locate aerial.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: My Avatar says it all Reply with quote

Sorry OLDBOY

The link is there, silly me forgot to go up the page (DOH!) , where your message was displayed the was just blank space. (Yes there may well be some blank space in my brain)

Regards Jimbo
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Tomtom Go 300 Aerial Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand

I look forward to your assessment of the aerial

Jimbo Laughing
Matello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The maps have some errors e.g roads that have been blocked by bollards for a few years so as to create dead ends.

I have found the same too re: bollards.
Also the new A120 in Essex, opened April 2004 is not on the GB SD that came with my TTG 300.
I was surprised and disappointed.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: [b]Tomtom Go 300 Signal Problems[/b] Reply with quote

Went to Tolworth Computer Fair to day,Bloody typical TTG 300 performed brilliantly, very little signal loss.
Why it did is a very good question. I put it on the right hand side of the windscreen instead of in the centre which is my preferred position, this I think confirms what Vauxhall were unable to that my windscreen has indeed go some reflective properties in the glass.
I am still very unhappy with having it next to side window (drivers side) so i guess i will have to invest in an aerial in the very near future.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: