Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 Newbie needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 Newbie needs help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately maps are almost invariably proprietary - there's no way you can use your Garmin maps on the Pocket PC.

It's certainly worth a think about what you power in-car.

Rather than using a bulky 2200mAh battery, you could consider carrying two 1100mAh batteries - particularly if you have the facility to charge both the Pocket PC and a separate battery at once. If you carry a spare battery, make sure the contacts can't be shorted out accidentally - a plastic bag can be useful to make doubly sure.

I've not yet come across a Pocket PC with changeable batteries that doesn't have an internal battery to give you a few minutes grace to change batteries. Usually, though, changing batteries carries out a soft reset.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fortuna Clip On has a double-ended power lead (HP/Compaq iPaq fit) and it fits the x50v's power adapter, but I thought I noticed some flickering of the display while it was on. So to play safe, I decided to disconnect it. The Dell mains psu is rated at 5.4V out, rather than usual 5.0V - so I'm wondering if the x50v didn't like the 0.4V deficit? Presumably the USB power standard is 5.0V? I have a third party USB to x50v cigarette lighter power adapter, though I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the battery suggestion. I'm sure that the x50v's battery performance with the standard unit is fine for my usual daily PDA needs, though if I need to go walking, for example, 2-2.5 hours isn't attractive!

Shame about the Garmin eMap MapSource maps.

Got the Traffic Alert software up and running and have bought a year's subscription at the 29Euro rate, which is certainly a bargain. Went over to see my sister in Ware this afternoon - no traffic problems either way - just when I'd like to have encountered one for once Smile

Will probably tackle the speed camera database option too, next!

Ian
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: New Navigator 3 question - addresses and favourites Reply with quote

My installation of Navigator 3 has several remembered destination addresses but I can't see an pobvious way of incorporating them into the Favourites list.

Also, the cottage we are travelling to on Wednesday in Cornwall has no street name, just a house and village name plus a post code - I can't seem to be able to force the input to let me add a post code without entering a street name. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Post Codes Reply with quote

After a bit of research, I have worked around the problem.

1. I have discovered that you can enter the first four or five characters of a post code in the city field (quite important to know that I would have though so I was surprised it wasn't highlighted better).

2. Even this doesn't provide me with an accurate fix on my destination as I can't provide a street name. But, instead, I used www.streetmpa.co.uk to input the post code to generate coordinates that I could enter into Map mode and then save the location as a POI (which we are enouraged to do here instead of 'Favourites'.

Already experimenting with itineraries as we will be visiting relatives in Bristol on the way to Cornwall. Working out how to save ab itinerary took a bit of CPU time as well Smile

Ian
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Spelling Reply with quote

Sorry, of course that should be www.streetmap.co.uk
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: