Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS position unreliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS position unreliable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin and alix776's information points you to what you'll need to complete the setup - it would just be interesting to see if your Haicom GPS unit can get its initial fix, without the PDA attached.

With a LED display on the unit you will be able to know for certain if everything is ok with the unit itself.

The reason I was wondering about the LED's on you GPS unit is because a friend of mine has a Haicom unit. There is an internal red light which shows when its receiving power, but apart from that, no light display. He relies solely on the TomTom software to determine whether the fix has been acquired.

Stripping this feature from a GPS unit is IMO poor form for just cutting costs, however his Haicom unit itself has proved very reliable and seems just as accurate as either my Ledtech of Socket units.

Probably all Haicom units now have the LED display, although I couldn't clearly see sign of one on the Haicom unit I looked at today - (link posted to above.)

My Leadtek 9532 only has one LED - displays solid green for acquiring - and flashes green when fix acquired.

So provided your Haicom unit has a display for "acquiring" and also displays differently for "fix" you should be just fine.

Also - the experts here might correct me - but I seem to remember something about gps units taking 12 minutes or so to acquire their first fix (almanac) when the unit is first used - or used after a long period of inactivity.
PeteJohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help but I have got nowhere with this at all. I am beginning to think there maybe something wrong with the unit or connection because if the cable slips out of the IPAQ a fraction (which it is prone to do) it goes into a hard reset. I am very frustrated with it.

Thanks again for all your help
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound healthy. Maybe the connector is broken and short cuts from time to time?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: