Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Questionnaire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Questionnaire
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

eldar
im sorry but i have been using tomtom 2 on my pda for quite a while now and there is no excuses for bringing out a product that is not as good as the last one...its a good piece of kit compared to what....i think if you scroll through the forums you will find alot of unhappy customers and others that are willing to just accept tomtom's problems....

just explain how it is for me to take the blame for bad routing, bad instructions,no case and bad customer services...after all had tt2 and no problems maybe it was my fault expecting the latest model to be an upgrade.....

i think you will find people just want what is promised from a product.....this has tried to take people down one way streets,down a footpath,and across a dual carriageway with a barrier in the middle of it....just to mention a few....i think you will find that tomtom love guys like you that just except things and dont expect what is promised...

im sorry but this just stinks of a rushed product prob worried about the latest navman products....
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob

I'm not a software engineer and I cannot possibly tell how easy it is to port software from Windows to Linux. Perhaps they had a good reson for cutting down the features. Time to market sort of thing...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the decision to create the new version of TomTom software for the GO, Palm, and Mobile was a conscious decision based on customer feedback from TomTom Navigator 1 and 2. TomTom wanted to create a Plug and Go software package that did not suffer from installation and compatibility issues, or novice users trying to use advanced features and messing up the settings.

Far from being an abysmal failure it has been a great success. People are always far more willing to put a case when they are having problems, rather than praise when things work as expected. Granted there are a few people who have problems as others did with previous versions and indeed other makes of software, and this will always be the case.

The main issues seem occur when users of previous TomTom products move to the new system and expect the functionality of TomTom Navigator 2/3 in the new platform. I don't believe that at any point TomTom have suggested that the GO or Palm systems were improvements on previous versions. Indeed we have always stressed that they are completely different.

What TomTom are trying to do is canvas opinion as to what features are desired in their products. This is a step forward as far as I am concerned. We are continually suggesting how they can improve the software, but we are the Power Users, what TomTom really need is input from the grass roots, and this must be the way to go.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

mike
i know what you are saying but after tomtom 1,2 and 3 why is it trying to send people down oneway streets...tried to send me down a footpath the other day.....and the issue with trying to take me across a dual carriageway with a barrier in the middle of it, is not acceptable as by now these routing issues should have been fixed....on tt2 if i try and plot the same route it will take me left on the dual carriagway and down to the turning to go back up the other side now if this worked with tt2 why has it gone wrong in tt go...i know its a new product but the maps must have been an update but they seem worse.... like ive said before if you are going down a road it suddenly blurts out an instruction that is not needed making the user take their eye off the road to look at the screen just to check what it wants you to do....maybe i expected too much after my tomtom 2 but i would have thought it would have been at least as good....plotted a route the other day and tried to avoid a road you have to keep pressing it for every instruction.....now i know some of these issues can be fixed with software updates....but the maps is not acceptable as they seemed to be getting just about right with tomtom 2 only to go backwards... i work for bt so i use it daily as i did tt2....and its silly little things like if you go past somewhere you could just tap the screen and memorize postion on tomtom its a pain to do it while you are driving....until the maps are sorted i would not reccomend it to anyone as i think it could be dangerous for some people to use.....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I don't believe that at any point TomTom have suggested that the GO or Palm systems were improvements on previous versions.

Conversely, I don't recall reading on their website that the Go or Palm versions were worse, either! I don't think it's unrealistic for consumers to expect newer versions to be better.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
MikeB wrote:
I don't believe that at any point TomTom have suggested that the GO or Palm systems were improvements on previous versions.

Conversely, I don't recall reading on their website that the Go or Palm versions were worse, either! I don't think it's unrealistic for consumers to expect newer versions to be better.

I think that statement has been taken out of context, and maybe I should have worded it differently, but what I meant was that it that there seems to be an automatic assumption that the functionality is the same as PDA versions. WHY?

I am not trying to defend TomTom here but look at things from a slightly different perspective.

The TomTom website provided a reasonable description of it's functionality. TomTom launched TomTom 3 and GO at the same time, and it had also been known GO was based on the Palm Version and that the Palm System did not have the same feature set.
wolfy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Go Coloured front covers! Reply with quote

Just to go back to an earlier point on this post. Tomtom have now got a press release on their website that says the Go coloured front covers will be available from the end of the month.

For what it's worth I think Go is an awesome product. I did have a PDA sat nav before that wasn't Tomtom, so I can't compare it to Tomtom 1 or 2. However, I do use it everyday for work and despite a couple of minor issues I have been really happy with it and have recomended it to a number of colleagues.
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar

Eldar wrote:

It is definitely different from my wife's who refuses to drive without a TTG and wouldn't know where to download a GATSO database from, not to mention how to plan a "via" route. :D

I love the idea of your wife spiralling around England at the behest of the TomTom.

I don't know where you live but I suggest you keep her away from Central London and Grosvenor Square in particular.

Having just this afternoon been directed to drive through the 9/11 anti-tank barriers outside the American Embassy I fear she would have a very uncomfortable encounter with lot of heavily armed police.

Michael
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutant wrote:
Eldar
Having just this afternoon been directed to drive through the 9/11 anti-tank barriers outside the American Embassy I fear she would have a very uncomfortable encounter with lot of heavily armed police.

Michael

Why the heck should I care what happens to the policemen? :D

Anyway, the problem you describe is because of the maps, not the TomTom software, although I do feel that they should provide a more up-to-date maps and give us more frequent updates and that has been extensively discussed in this forum (I seem to recall one of our learned moderators using the phrase 'ad nausea')

Also being geographically challenged doesn't mean being stupid, also the other half doesn't pretend to be a pilot landing a plane in fog and does keep her eyes on the road and not just on the instruments.

You should really try it one day (same goes for Rob incidentally) 8)
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: tomtom Reply with quote

i think eldar has lost his rattle.....if its the maps or software its still tomtom that have launched the product......you should work for cust services it was not the tv that broke but the resistor and we did not make that.....sorry!!!!
and i drive all day and dont need the tomtom most of the day but use it just to add poi for bt equipment in the ground.....this is why i know how bad it routes as its an area i drive all day in west london.....but im sorry to say that trying to send people down one way streets,down footpaths and across dual carriageways is acceptable.....is wrong

and eldar where do you get your answers from....what is this an answer to"Also being geographically challenged doesn't mean being stupid, also the other half doesn't pretend to be a pilot landing a plane in fog and does keep her eyes on the road and not just on the instruments"
You should really try it one day (same goes for Rob incidentally)
your wife does and she dont know where she is without tomtom
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
i think eldar has lost his rattle.....

I lost my rattle when I was two years old, but it's nice to see that you are still keeping yours.

rob-bob wrote:

....and i drive all day and dont need the tomtom most of the day but use it just to add poi for bt equipment in the ground.....this is why i know how bad it routes as its an area i drive all day in west london.....but im sorry to say that trying to send people down one way streets,down footpaths and across dual carriageways is acceptable.....is wrong

At least BT engineers can come up with another lame excuse for turning up late or not turning up at all (it all them TomTom's fault, guv). Don't you just wish you had a machine which would tell you how to repair telecomms equipment?

rob-bob wrote:

and eldar where do you get your answers from....what is this an answer to"Also being geographically challenged doesn't mean being stupid, also the other half doesn't pretend to be a pilot landing a plane in fog and does keep her eyes on the road and not just on the instruments"

I get my answers from something called a brain, of which I'm sure you must be aware of. It helps you to perform a number of functions, including not driving "down one way streets,down footpaths and across dual carriageways" even if a dumb box on your dashboard tells you otherwise.

rob-bob wrote:

your wife does and she dont know where she is without tomtom

Rob, you must have heard about scales. For instance on the map of the Universe you would be but an insignificant speck of dust and could easily be dismissed, while on the road in your BT van you might pose a danger to passing public while going down footpaths in search of these ever-elusive BT boxes. To reverse this analogy my wife is quite aware of her immediate surroundings and would definitely not go across dual carriageways, but have certain difficulties finding her way in the Universe which is London.

I hope I've answered your questions to your satisfaction. Do call again.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK rob-bob and eldar, enough is enough. Just agree to disagree and get on with discussing the things that matter. These do not include how another's spouse is lost without Go, nor how a person does his job.

Stop!

Oh and eldar, your last post was posted twice, so I've deleted the extra one.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
OK rob-bob and eldar, enough is enough. Just agree to disagree and get on with discussing the things that matter. These do not include how another's spouse is lost without Go, nor how a person does his job.

Stop!

Oh and eldar, your last post was posted twice, so I've deleted the extra one.

Sorry, got carried away there. Rob, my apologies for getting personal.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. One down, one to go. Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: