Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
I thought I would try the NUVI with Traffic in Different Cars.
It's not truely conclusive unless the cars were all put into the same spot, with the antenna situated with the same orientation - some areas of the country are definitely suffering from weak transmitter signals, and I've experienced the effect of rotating the antenna through 90 degrees improving signal. If the cars were in different places / different alignments that could have been enough to upset them.

However, all this info does definitely show one thing - the GTM units are too temperamental, and Garmin needs to do something to make them more reliable.

As you also said, they seem more reliable across Mainland Europe in similar cars (some people have experienced improved reception in their own cars), so I think what we have is an overall problem of weak transmitters. The power problems cause a signal level drop of 1 or 2 points, which is enough in some areas to take a useable signal too low to work - whereas although they might be experiencing the same signal level drops of 1 or 2 points in mainland Europe, the signal is so much stronger, and so the resultant signal still remains in the useable category.

The same would seem to apply to the GTM11, where people have found connecting it to the car aerial has fixed the problem - it hasn't fixed the power problems, but simply improved the signal level to such a degree that the power problem doesn't drop the signal too low to work.

So, Garmin need to work with Trafficmaster (and their partners) to improve the signal strength in some areas of the country, but they also need to resolve the power problems, which is a faster fix for them to achieve working traffic data anywhere in the UK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Ironically, the Garmin claims to output more current.
It is the current that is of more interest, I have run various devices at the higher (5,5V) - not a good idea unless designed for it, the phone charger that would appear to work will be a 5V (standard mini USB adaptor), any chance of a current measurement anyone following this with the equipment that knows how to do it? - Mike
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I've contact tech support via e-mail about this issue, and I've included a link to this thread and asked them to comment.

Will post the reply.

Mabsey
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: It may be not as simple as current Reply with quote

Chatting to one of our technical gurus at work, he told me that we experienced what might be similar problems with a rechargeable device that we sell.
This device was supplied with a euro connector AC charger and we needed to provide a UK 3-pin charger. This is when we found that we had to take a range of measurements to map the charging profile in order to find the correct charger.

Modern batteries require tight control of their charging profile (current, voltage, time, overheating protection, etc) to prevent damage.
This means that the charger adapters (AC or 12V) are more than simple voltage & current regulators.

The likelyhood is that the TMC start-up current requirement is exceeding the charger circuit's capabilities when the nuvi is also being charged.

The fact that it works OK with my mobile phone car charger lead is an indication that my phone's battery has a different charging profile (no surprise, really).
What this also means is that some of car mini-USB leads might work and some might not, depending on the charging profile of the device that they are designed for and the charged state of the nuvi.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: voltage settings Reply with quote

Guys does anyone know the

mA voltage settings.

I have sourced a 5.5 v charger instead of garmins 5.25.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is all now well above my very basic knowledge does this mean that given what you say about modern batteries requring tight control of the charging profile using a 12v power lead or USB and 12v adaptor not supplied by Garmin may cause damage ?

If so, this would probably infringe the terms and conditions of the warranty provided by Garmin thereby making it null and void.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: seems to work better Reply with quote

I have one of these babies now and I can now confirm that it indeed it worksn better, where all previous attempts failed.

Still testing….

Link
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=EXP_USB-CLA
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: GTM 12 reception - noise perhaps? Reply with quote

Could it be the power from the Garmin cigarette adaptor is not smoothing the power as well as the USB from a laptop or other types of adaptors? Could be electrical noise on the supply.

Has anyone tried the AC adaptor to power the GPS whilst in the car? I did on my Nuvi 360 and GTM 12 and it didn't have better reception than the cigarette adaptor. Going to try a laptop to power it via USB tonight.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GTM 12 reception - noise perhaps? Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
Could it be the power from the Garmin cigarette adaptor is not smoothing the power as well as the USB from a laptop or other types of adaptors? Could be electrical noise on the supply.

Has anyone tried the AC adaptor to power the GPS whilst in the car? I did on my Nuvi 360 and GTM 12 and it didn't have better reception than the cigarette adaptor. Going to try a laptop to power it via USB tonight.

Unlikely IMHO.
From my test yesterday evening, everything worked OK with my phone charger cable with a run-down nuvi battery, but not with the Garmin cable and a run-down nuvi battery.
Garmin charger cable worked OK only when nuvi was already fully charged before connecting.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: seems to work better Reply with quote

wilburforce wrote:
I can now confirm that it indeed it worksn better, where all previous attempts failed.
Interestingly, I've used 3 different USB cables for connect the Nuvi to my laptop in the last few days - the Garmin cable works everytime, a short (1m) cable works most of the time, but can take some time for the PC to spot the Nuvi (even though the Nuvi immediately goes into computer mode), and the long (2m) cable doesn't seem to work at all. Obviously the Nuvi was being charged at the same time.

I guess this means I'll continue to use the Garmin USB cable, which is also the best cable I've found so far to use with my Belkin version of the Ora cigarette to usb charger you've got.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if the nuvi battery is not fully charged when I use it via the car charger lead I get no traffic information, if the unit is left on charge in the car for 24hrs or more the traffic info icon becomes live after about 6 seconds.

The only problem with this is if the internal battery is left on charge all the time then it could shorten the life of the re-chargeable battery as it will not go through it's charge/discharge cycle.

I feel that this is definitely a power issue as when the battery is fully charged it does not matter where I put the "aerial" I get good reception, low charge = no traffic info.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: seems to work better Reply with quote

“I guess this means I'll continue to use the Garmin USB cable, which is also the best cable “ swing

I agree I first used another cable and had limited joy the Garmin cable is a lot better.
I would point that the thicker the cable the better my signal. I how have a signal indoors and within the car.

This will explain why I had a signal when I first got the product.
I charged it for many hours and then went driving. It acquired a signal and did its job. Later that day the return journey I never managed to get a signal. (charger connected)

What I noticed - holding the end of the aerial tightly ensured a signal. Uncharged journeyed battery.

So unless the battery is outputting its maximum voltage the receiver cant function properly, thus less power the more I had to earth / support the aerial in acquiring a signal.

The Garmin charger can power the unit but with the GTM connected at best it’s intermittent.
The charger is obviously just not powering the combined products to enable a signal.

My Garmin charger never shows green with both connected.

My new charger for whatever reason supplies the power to both and maintains a signal.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, confirmed. With a fully charged battery, I get a traffic signal in my Car now using the standard cables and it locks on in around 12 seconds. This makes sense now why the Nuvi worked in Germany. In fact I remember now that the first few days the Traffic worked and on the last day the traffic stopped working. The night before the last day I did not charge the Nuvi in the Room.

Mabsey
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE :D

I let the unit Run down for the last 30 minutes or so on battery power. I went out to the car and tried traffic again and nothing. Sat there and no traffic at all.

I came indoors and remembered I used to have a bluetooth GPS device that had a Cigarette lighter with the USB connection. What I did was used the USB cable that came with my NUVI and plugged it into the adaptor that came with my bluetooth GPS and Voila, Traffic signal in around 10 seconds from plugging in. I took the same cable from Garmin and swapped the cables and no traffic lock at all. Swapped back to the Bluetooth GPS USB charger and bang, traffic again. My device dont seem to get hot and I'm very happy now. I dont even need the wires stuck on the windscreen which is nice.

Mabsey
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the bottom line is Garmin owe us all a fit for use decent car charging lead. ASAP.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 10 of 44

Jump to: