Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the mods on here would be able to answer the TMC question better. As far as I understand it the TMC in the UK is free to everyone who buys a receiver unit. But in countries like France and Germany the major motorways are covered by a pay service.

To be honest I wouldn't mind a pay service if it actually improved the reception and number of stations broadcasting the TMC information.

Cheers Bigperk.... Laughing Out Loud I just have a play with the 8110 and see what it can and can't do. Laughing
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my 8100 today - much quicker than expected- couple of questions:-

1) Can you zoom in and out of a current map whilst travelling like on the Garmin/Tom Tom if so how ?

2) Do TMC alerts come up on the screen ?

3) Can you change the colour of the maps ?

4) Any news on POI warner for Navigon 7 or an official version alllowing custom POIs ?

Sorry if any of these have been asked before

Thanks
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from the pub again Guinness

Many thanks to all you guys for your comments about TMC First First First. It appears that it is available on the 8110 in UK (and possibly France) at least at some level - I was a bit concerned about extra charges, which obviously could impact on total ownership costs.

BTW, I see that there's quite a bit of fairly heavy discounting going on in the various national website shops on 7110, 5110, etc. I was a bit worried by this (remembering my ill-fated "leap into the future" with ViaMichelin On Fire ) that this might be a big final 'sell-off-and-get-out' move. On a more positive note though, although the 2110 max is discounted in the UK, it's shown at a higher price in Germany as 'new' - a full new range in the offing perhaps? Cake

Anyway, I'm going to hold off the purchase for the moment, hard though that's becoming, as the 15% voucher code xtraseller came up with is ok till the end of June, and is valid on the UK site as well, so there's a bit of time to see how things develop. Soon
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

Many thanks to all you guys for your comments about TMC First First First. It appears that it is available on the 8110 in UK (and possibly France) at least at some level - I was a bit concerned about extra charges, which obviously could impact on total ownership costs.

As far as I'm aware TMC Pro means that Navigon have paid the charges for the paid TMC in the likes of France which means there is nothing else to pay should you go to France you will get full TMC coverage.

I know what you mean about being once bitten twice shy over the ViaMichelin but I looked at how Navigon had been present in the industry for quite sometime and were able to sell units in the USA and thought I would give it a go. I still feel that VM only failed because they went after the USA market and wasn't able to make enough sales.

I'd imagine the discounting of the older stock is normal whenever something new comes out. As soon as a new faster and better graphics card for a PC comes out the ones that everyone has just paid loads for suddenly drops in price. It's just the way it goes Crying or Very sad

The 2110 Max is a new unit, and runs a more cut down version of the v7 software. i.e no TMC / bluetooth or Panarama View 3D, much slower CPU and a different GPS chipset.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Charges Reply with quote

There are no extra charged for TMC on the 8110 - they are included in the TMC unit, but NOT (UK at least) on the 2110 max where a premium IS payable

Think I was misunderstood with my TMC pay scheme. Its not free in the UK - it is just if you make a unit with a decoder for UK TMC you pay a fee at that stage (ie. the manufacturers pay it) so it seems free to us, but isn't

BigPerk - Navigon cannot get you a 8110 or a 2110 max for 4 weeks at least anyway, have you seen either / both units offered on any UK Websites? I've searched but nothing

Also I think Navigon are quite "safe" for a year or so. They just need someone to start distributing their units - you cannot buy them anywhere... and that is where the problem will lay for them. They got distribution in the US sorted very quickly - now how about us?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:

1) Can you zoom in and out of a current map whilst travelling like on the Garmin/Tom Tom if so how ?

2) Do TMC alerts come up on the screen ?

3) Can you change the colour of the maps ?

4) Any news on POI warner for Navigon 7 or an official version alllowing custom POIs ?

Sorry if any of these have been asked before

Thanks

Hope you like your new toy! Smile

1) I have found you can click the mag glass symbol in the corner in 2D and standard 3D mode to set the desired zoom level. But I like the View 3D so not used it.

2) TMC information for on route does pop up on screen, unfortunately unlike the VM x980t it doesn't read the information out (have suggested to Navigon that maybe it should).

3) Colours for the map are as they are until someone on the forums manage to change them like they did the 7110's ect.

4) No news at yet, rumours are Navigon are going to add custom POI but no confirmation on that. They may just be doing a deal with POI Warner or some other company. Question
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Charges Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

Also I think Navigon are quite "safe" for a year or so. They just need someone to start distributing their units - you cannot buy them anywhere... and that is where the problem will lay for them. They got distribution in the US sorted very quickly - now how about us?

If Walmart is a seller in the USA I can imagine they would soon do a deal with ASDA in the UK?
I do agree about the lack of UK distribution and when I looked at the jobs section of the Navigon website they were looking to employ sales people and the UK was mentioned.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for that, so I've taken the plunge Not Worthy (but won't hold anyone responsible, honest Pistol Shoot Out )

More job opportunities for Deepfour? Driving - He might do something for the support and distribution somewhat!!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

closes forum user account now Very Happy Laughing Stop it!
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm having problems with the mic on the voice commands - it keeps saying my voice is too quiet even when i shout - is it faulty or am I doing something wrong ?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:
i'm having problems with the mic on the voice commands - it keeps saying my voice is too quiet even when i shout - is it faulty or am I doing something wrong ?

Can you ask someone else to give it a try? I talk fairly quite and have been able to get it to work.
Try resetting and re-doing the small training text and make sure there is no background noise when you do it.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Via Michelin Reply with quote

[quote="jonandmarkuk"]
gwentvillan wrote:

4) No news at yet, rumours are Navigon are going to add custom POI but no confirmation on that. They may just be doing a deal with POI Warner or some other company. Question

You had mentioned some time ago that Navigon might have had an agreement to carry the ViaMichelin guides on the new products.

Any idea if this is still true and if they intend to include this on future 8110 devices?

This would be one of my main reasons to buy this device
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as what was said in the press Navigon do have a deal with ViaMichelin for the guides but only talked about a release in France initially and it wasn't clear if it would be for the 8110 or a different device?

At the moment it's a case of wait and see, there was talk about the guide being released in Summer. I do wonder if Navigon would want to release another new GPS unit so soon after the flagship 8110?
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok eventually got speech recognition working it has recognised the right address once out of about ten attempts - is there a knack to this ?

Couple of other questions sorry - thanks for your patience :-)

a) in 3d mode it won't display street names ?

b) in 3d mode if you zoom in it goes to another 2d screen which is mainly useless - if you put it into 2d mode to start with and zoom in does it stay on the main screen or again go to a smaller second screen ?

I have to be honest at present I am a little disappointed with my navigon to the extent that I am considering selling it :-( Hope it changes my mind in the next few days.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: ViaMichelin Reply with quote

As far as I have read Navigon will be releasing ViaMichelin co-branded devices in France - including the 8110

Based on a "build-your-own" feature set that Navigon seem to be innovating in the GPS world, they would probably add ViaMichelin as an add-on for others, available for something like £20-£30 from within Navigon Fresh - like TTS on the 2110 Max, Reality View on the 2100, etc. etc.

I think all sat nav manufacturers should follow this model - how often do you buy something, then wish you had another feature. It also makes units for affordable day one, and then easy to upgrade later - keep interest and retaining user loyalty. It will bring in real cash for the Sat Nav companies, whos profit on sat navs units drop to nearly zero!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: