Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshT wrote:
Does anybody know what happens to routes when you upload them from mapsource to the Nuvi?
Currently, uploading routes from Mapsource to the Nuvi is not supported - I'm not sure which end the problem is, but Garmin will have to update whichever it is before this will work. It's not clear whether Garmin intend to add this functionality.

Sorry, I can't help with your other queries.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will work but for routing via a ferry crossing try making a waypoint in the sea midway between the 2 ports you're travelling thru'

I seem to remember this was the advice to a post where someone was wanting to travel via the Channel Tunnel but the GPS would always route to Dover then Calais and not the tunnel entrance and exit.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Is this the definitive answer ? Reply with quote

Hey guys, let's keep this thread focussed on the TMC issue please!
Otherwise it's going to get confusing. Wink
===============================================

As you will know from yesterday evening's post, when I tried TMC in the car using the Garmin power lead, I received traffic messages within a few seconds of powering-up the nuvi.

As it happens, and this is relevant, the nuvi was fully charged.
The charger LED indicator was green.

I then ran-down the nuvi battery and repeated the test.
This time, there were no TMC messages and the TMC indicator on the screen was greyed-out (meaning, I believe, the receiver is connected but not powered).
The charger LED indicator was red.

I quickly swapped the power lead with the one that I use to charge my mobile phone (so that the nuvi did not have enough time to powerdown) and TMC worked immediately.

I switched-off the nuvi, connected the Garmin power lead and hey-presto - no TMC.

So, the conclusion that I draw from this is that the Garmin power regulator does not provide sufficient current to start-up the receiver at the same time as charging the nuvi.

If I get the opportunity, I'll see if I can take some current and/or voltage measurements to try and quantify the problem electrically.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this the definitive answer ? Reply with quote

parbrook wrote:
I quickly swapped the power lead with the one that I use to charge my mobile phone
There are a number of people who are willing to spend a few pounds on a different power lead (whilst waiting for Garmin to fix this problem), but don't want to on the off chance that their new lead will work.

Can you confirm what make and model of car charger you use to allow people to potentially purchase the same? Obviously if your car charger is not branded by the manufacturer, there might not be many details on it.

Glad it's helped you - certainly for me a different lead has improved things, although there are areas of the country I have found where I still suffer.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this the definitive answer ? Reply with quote

swing wrote:
parbrook wrote:
I quickly swapped the power lead with the one that I use to charge my mobile phone
There are a number of people who are willing to spend a few pounds on a different power lead (whilst waiting for Garmin to fix this problem), but don't want to on the off chance that their new lead will work.

Can you confirm what make and model of car charger you use to allow people to potentially purchase the same? Obviously if your car charger is not branded by the manufacturer, there might not be many details on it.

Glad it's helped you - certainly for me a different lead has improved things, although there are areas of the country I have found where I still suffer.

My mobile phone is an XDA Mini S.
The car power lead came from Expansys UK and has a label on it indicating that it is for the SPV C500 (one of many mobile phones that use the mini USB connector).

I would not recommend this as the long-term solution, because this lead runs hot when powering and charging the nuvi, with TMC connected.

However, for a relatively small price (compared with the cost of the nuvi), it is a practical work-around until Garmin come-up with the goods. Certainly better than returning the nuvi to Halfords, because IMHO it's fundamentally a brilliant product.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have a the GTM12 and have the same issues as everyone here. Following the power problems users talk about, I thought I would try the NUVI with Traffic in Different Cars. Here's My Result :

My BMW : No Traffic. Icon Stays Grey
Volvo V50 : Traffic Received without Problem
Vaxuhall New Zafira : Traffic Received without Problem
Ford Focus : No Traffic Received. Icon Stays Grey

I ran the above tests a couple of times with my friends cars and got the same results everytime. I'm guessing that the power outout from the cars that work was better than the ones that dont.

Mabsey
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
Oh, I have a the GTM12 and have the same issues as everyone here. Following the power problems users talk about, I thought I would try the NUVI with Traffic in Different Cars. Here's My Result :

My BMW : No Traffic. Icon Stays Grey
Volvo V50 : Traffic Received without Problem
Vaxuhall New Zafira : Traffic Received without Problem
Ford Focus : No Traffic Received. Icon Stays Grey

I ran the above tests a couple of times with my friends cars and got the same results everytime. I'm guessing that the power outout from the cars that work was better than the ones that dont.

Mabsey

Two things of note.

One is that the "problem" may be different depending on how charged-up the nuvi battery is.
The other is that you get poorer or no reception in cars that have heated windscreens (for de-icing) and I seem to recall this is mentioned in the user manual or the Garmin FAQs.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood the TMC icon on the Nuvi main page would be greyed out when no traffic data was available and highlighted when it was. Not sure if that's what was meant as strictly speaking the receiver could be powered but just not receiving a signal for several other reasons.

Also, one thing that has struck is the amount of time and effort being put in by those who are trying to get an expensive piece of kit to work satisfactorily. Whether scientific or anecdotal there looks like some fairly interesting 'testing' going on and certainly the main problem appears to possibly lie with the power supply.

Do you think any of this is getting back to Garmin ?
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

I have copied Garmin UK on the results of my tests earlier this evening.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
I understood the TMC icon on the Nuvi main page would be greyed out when no traffic data was available and highlighted when it was. Not sure if that's what was meant as strictly speaking the receiver could be powered but just not receiving a signal for several other reasons.

Also, one thing that has struck is the amount of time and effort being put in by those who are trying to get an expensive piece of kit to work satisfactorily. Whether scientific or anecdotal there looks like some fairly interesting 'testing' going on and certainly the main problem appears to possibly lie with the power supply.

All Garmin could tell me was, "They were aware of a number of users who had issues with this unit and are running some internal tests and to check back in a few days on their support number"

With regards to the headted windscreens, my car does not have a heated windscreen and I've tried the aerial in numerous positions, (Even held it out the window).

I went to Germany last week and picked up traffic with no issues at all in the hire car we had.

Mabsey
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

I doubt it, but who knows! I for one will be trying a SPV C500 car charger just to see what happens, if it doesn't work, never mind, if it does, then great.
Agreed its been a lot of effort but thats what forums are for, two heads are better than one and all that...or in this case 100 heads are better Rolling Eyes
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: re phone adapter Reply with quote

Please do get back to us with the results of the phone adapter mod, would be better if we could get the voltage figures for Garmins and the phone mod one.

Great forum work...
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: USB chargers Reply with quote

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2822.htm

http://www.techfocus.co.uk/universal-usb-car-charger-adapter-ipod-pda-black-p-160.html?gclid=CKj5sarr0IYCFRl_EAod5Aoy0w
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voltage figures will be the same 12V input (engine OFF) 13,8V input (Engine On), the output from the car charger adaptor will be 5V, it is the current figures that will be of more interest, but this means inline measurements need to be taken (breaking into the wiring with a DVM).

Some car addaptors will output a higher current, which is probably why this is working BUT as pointed out earlier the unit is running hot, if it suffers failure due to overheating I hope it goes open circuit simply damaging itself (the charger) if it goes short circuit you stand a chance of serious damage to the device(s) connected to the charger - take care doing this and be aware of the implications, an electrical fire in the car is not something you want at speed on the road - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
the output from the car charger adaptor will be 5V
Actually - the Garmin charger will output up to 5.25v, whereas my cigarette to usb adaptor says it outputs 5.5v. Ironically, the Garmin claims to output more current.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 9 of 44

Jump to: