Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:
Could anyone perhaps shed some light then why HD traffic does not report (for me anyway!) roadworks, contraflows, lane restrictions, speed restrictions due to high winds (as my 730 is currently reporting right now for the Forth Road Bridge and Tay Road bridge). Is it not supposed to anymore? Isn't HD traffic supposed to report all that GPRS did but more accurately?

I read the manual for the HD traffic last night (yes, I'm the one) and it says that the display bar doesn't show minor events so that the bar is not confusing. I presume that means they'll be in the detailed events, just not on the side bar.

Laughing Out Loud. This is like trying to reverse engineer their software! I had a delay of 1 minute show up the other day....it was on the bar. I think 1 minute would be considered minor! :P
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
matthewj wrote:

I read the manual for the HD traffic last night (yes, I'm the one) and it says that the display bar doesn't show minor events so that the bar is not confusing. I presume that means they'll be in the detailed events, just not on the side bar.

Laughing Out Loud. This is like trying to reverse engineer their software! I had a delay of 1 minute show up the other day....it was on the bar. I think 1 minute would be considered minor! :P

More like trying to reverse engineer their marketing / corporate BS - I suspect that by "minor" they mean traffic that that is too insignificant for them to detect! (or is that just my natural cynicism taking command?)
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

I presume that means they'll be in the detailed events, just not on the side bar.
thats what i read too, however no matter what screen i go into, none of the information is displayed. Could anyone confirm if this is the same for all of us with HD traffic, if it's just me, or if this is correct in what HD traffic is displaying despite it being less informative than SD traffic IMO.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight change of tack from the above - Is anybody else finding that HD is currently down - has been since at least lunchtime today (google still apparently working).
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic is working for me showing 86 incidents.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
HD Traffic is working for me showing 86 incidents.

Aaargh, now I'm getting the "LIVE services do not work abroad" message for the first time since I bought it.....
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a response from TomTom today with their solution to the working abroad message with error code 2031:

"It appears that you have a mixed SIM card. This has been corrected so you should be able to access the LIVE Services now. Please follow the instructions below to perform a Factory reset on your device.

• Switch on the unit
• Go to 'Change Preferences' (ensure all menu options are visible)
• Go to the last screen and select 'Reset Factory Settings'
• Select 'Yes'

Then go through the setup procedure again. Please confirm that this has worked for you."

I have no idea if this actually works as my first device ended up doing nothing more than having an orange or green LED on the power button and getting very hot.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

• Go to the last screen and select 'Reset Factory Settings'

Not doing that until I've uploaded all the mapshare corrections I've added in. If they've not reset my account (as in the device linked to it) when I get home tonight, I'm gonna ring 'em and try and get that sorted out too. They've had 4 working days to do that now (I got an email from support saying that he would "request a reset" - not saying that he had reset it!).

I've never had cause to contact TT customer services before, but I'm beginning to realise that some of the complaints about them I've read are not just sour grapes from some people!

Grrrr
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in feedback from those who use the device in Edinburgh (see a few screenshots on here). With all the roadworks, diversions and other rubbish going on for the Tram works, does the combination of HD Traffic, Map sharing and IQ routes help save time?

I'm considering upgrading from my Garmin Nuvi 350 with a hacked tmc receiver (receives both itis and trafficmaster data) as the tmc data is poor but my biggest bugbear is the fact my journey to work seems to be different daily as more roadworks and road closures appear and clear. If the x40 devices can help save even 10 mins a commute it would be well worth the money as a 25 minute trip from Portobello to Corstorphine now varies between 25 mins and around 90 mins depending on time of day and specific roadworks (over 400 sets in the city at the moment)

If the roadworks data at http://www.roadworksscotland.org/default.aspx was considered, it may be a bonus
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today a miracle was bestowed upon me.

I left work and the A14 was err... screwed.

The nav re-routed me, however it picked an obvious route and towards the end (where the diversion would rejoin after the congestion) the route was er... congested.

So I did a bit of manual re-routing (driving without telling it what i'm doing and letting it work out which way to go after it stops telling me to do u-turns).

Took me an hour to get home, usually ~50 mins an extra 10 for the diversion I took was nothing.

Chuffed that the traffic was reported - though it had cleared after I'd got home, what can you do.

Still not too impressed by the IQ routes though.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting one today,

on the A road between Newark and Mansfield.

Got a Beep and flashing Exclamation Mark in Triange warning (From Traffic HD not Speed cameras)

as I rounded the corner the Warning marker was directly at the site of an accident where 2 police vehicles were stopped to assist a lorry that had rolled over into a field. There was no traffic delay as it had only just happened and other emergency vehicles (Ambulance and Fire were still on route).

If this is a part of the HD traffic I am very impressed
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GPRS for traffic, and I checked on Traffic noticed that the good people living above Harrogate to the most northern reaches of our land do not have any traffic problems!

My Wifes 720 RDS-TMC is showing nothing north of Newark.

What is HD traffic showing?
GO 920 Dead
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

I've never had cause to contact TT customer services before, but I'm beginning to realise that some of the complaints about them I've read are not just sour grapes from some people!

Grrrr

So, I put in a support question last night, and phoned them this morning. They said that in order for them to fix it, I must first plug it into my PC, run up HOME, and get some 'information' from it that only HOME could provide.

Now, I'm at work, so I can't do that, and my trip home tonight is up the motorway, for which I want accurate traffic information, for which I have paid these morons THREE hundred pounds, and which they are failing to provide!

Now as it happens, I have anther ongoing problem with them, which is not yet resolved (the thing with the HOME account not allowing 2 devices), so I have my laptop, and docking station in the car, and actually can and did do this. However, when I rang them back, they simply said that they had received the information, and would look into it.

This just begs the question - what would someone without a PC have done?

Incidentally, the woman on the phone told me that they are currently having problems resetting device ID's in accounts and that I should "use another address"

Now, would anybody care to give odds on them actually phoning me back like they promised, or just emailing (my home email address, which I wouldn't ordinarly get to read until Monday night) like they said they would before I asked them to phone?

Damn, I loath incompetent customer service! Grrrr Grrrr Grrrr
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
I use GPRS for traffic, and I checked on Traffic noticed that the good people living above Harrogate to the most northern reaches of our land do not have any traffic problems!

My Wifes 720 RDS-TMC is showing nothing north of Newark.

What is HD traffic showing?

Depends where in the UK you are.

the TMC only shows the incidents trasmitted on the station in use (About 80 miles or so from your current location in each direction

GPRS seems a little better about 120 miles each way

HD seems the same as GPRS about 120 miles in each direction.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

Now, would anybody care to give odds on them actually phoning me back like they promised,

I don't know whehter to laugh or cry - they have just called me back to tell me that they can't call me back!

(The person dealing with my problem has just called to say she is out until Monday - she said it could be assigned to someone else, but that she couldn't promise that they would call me back - basically my best option is to keep checking the website)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: