Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I have just been lucky to not encounter the issue? It's hard to tell from the Amazon reviews / forums how widespread the issue is.

If like you say it's map detail related or something maybe the issue is only showing in one region, or maybe it's actually a data error in the Navteq maps causing the freeze, we are only guessing as all the online translators don't do a very good job in my view to really fully understand.

Yeah it should have been found in testing, but maybe the shear number of variables in GPS units makes it difficult, I'm sure you would be testing for years to come if you wanted to test every possible route / waypoint combination Laughing

Not sure how true it is, but I gathered that Navigon may have stopped units being shipped until they can be sent out with the corrected software?
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone an overview of the colors and symbols used on the cards of a 8110? I saw a beige / light brown road (in 3D display with street names) with black triangles. What does that mean?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Has anyone an overview of the colors and symbols used on the cards of a 8110? I saw a beige / light brown road (in 3D display with street names) with black triangles. What does that mean?

Not really sure? Maybe something dedicated 'hackers' are doing as the previous Navigons appeared to be easy to skin and I have seen examples of the 7110's running with different colours on the display and even a car instead of the arrow.

Or maybe Navigon are going to offer diffent colour options for the maps?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:

Not really sure? Maybe something dedicated 'hackers' are doing as the previous Navigons appeared to be easy to skin and I have seen examples of the 7110's running with different colours on the display and even a car instead of the arrow.

EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't install any skin. I don't even if there's one for the 8110 nro where to find it.
jonandmarkuk wrote:

EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some skins: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=106505&whichpage=1

I find it rather dangerous to apply them though
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look very cool, but I'd prefer to not mess around. Shocked
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Postcode Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk if you enter a postcode, does it allow you to enter a house number (7110 didn't) as most other sat-navs do? I know its not critcal, because you are "about there" anyway, but sometimes quite useful none the less...? Thanks
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked for you and like my x980T before this it doesn't ask for a house number.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks ... and that was quick! One more (please!) does it show lane advisor on roundabouts, etc.? Appreciate not all, but some?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Thanks ... and that was quick! One more (please!) does it show lane advisor on roundabouts, etc.? Appreciate not all, but some?

Interesting question, as of yet I have not been able to drive a route which has given lane information so have no idea if it works at roundabouts too, you would hope that it would just see the lanes and indicate the lane as normal.
Until Navteq or TeleAtlas enhance the lane information I think we may find it to be very lacking Sad
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Intelligent Routing Reply with quote

Totally agree, and think that the future is with better mapping data rather than improved graphics - 3D buildings etc. look great, but are not for me and no real help IMO. Elevation Roads IS a positive when driving. Lane assistance is really the next major must have, as now pretty much every sat nav will get you there is a reasonable fashion, the safety of lane assistance is a god-send. As is (will be?) intelligent routing, like TomToms IQ Routes. Add to this connected POIs for proper local search and your done

In the meantime, let us know if that nice lane assistance (pro) pops up at any roundabout...!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk - fount of all 8110 knowledge!! First - do you know the difference between TMC Pro (free in UK according to website) and TMC (apparently not free) please? - the descriptions given on the website leave me little the wiser Confused
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: I think... Reply with quote

Maybe jonandmarkuk will have the definative answer, but i believe it is simply this - the TMC technology is obviously available to all (a receiver) but in the UK (and France?) its coded and its provided privately, so you need to pay to receive it. Hence the 2110 comes with standard TMC and you have to pay a licence fee to use in UK and France (otherwise the unit won't recognise any info) but will work elsewhere. The Pro version has this license fee paid, so works here!

Hope that helps - if its nonsense, please forgive me. Thats my how I understood it to mean!
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I think... Reply with quote

I don't know for the UK, but TMC pro is a special service in Germany:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmcpro.de%2F&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=de&tl=en

xtraseller wrote:
Maybe jonandmarkuk will have the definative answer, but i believe it is simply this - the TMC technology is obviously available to all (a receiver) but in the UK (and France?) its coded and its provided privately, so you need to pay to receive it. Hence the 2110 comes with standard TMC and you have to pay a licence fee to use in UK and France (otherwise the unit won't recognise any info) but will work elsewhere. The Pro version has this license fee paid, so works here!

Hope that helps - if its nonsense, please forgive me. Thats my how I understood it to mean!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 8 of 24

Jump to: