Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running CoPilot on an iPaq H2210, with a Rikaline 6030 with no external aerial, inside a car with a metallised windscreen. I was also suffering from very slow (or no) satellite acquisition, and erratic POI announcements. I finally gave up with the Rikaline and bought a GlobalSat BT-338. That, together with the improved Bluetooth handling in CoPilot version .48, seems to have transformed my navigation. The much more sensitive and intelligent satellite handling of the GlobalSat seems to allow CoPilot to start up much quicker, with all of the cameras being accurately reported.

The point is that some problems with CoPilot may be hardware-induced, and not just software bugs. Given the amount of processing that a navigation product has to perform, I'm sure that some program threads get less chance of running if there is a lack of hardware resources, or an inconsistent source of tracking data.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb, I am genuinely pleased that you are happy with CP5.

While I accept that no system is perfect, I was totally frustrated from day 1 with CP5.

As examples, I find the following totally unacceptable for a system that claims dynamic voice guidance:-

1) At a major junction of 2 motorways and 2 A-Roads, the only command was the 'Take Liverpool J', with no indication of which way that actually was.

2) Similarly, approaching the M60 ringroad, the command was 'Take M60', with no indication of which direction or sliproad to take.

3) No announcement of 3 staggered junctions on A5104 where the road I was crossing had priority.

4) Did not announce 2 turns in the space of 5 miles on A490

These are just 4 examples of many. If you find them acceptable then all well and good. I don't.

As a comparison, I borrowed a freind's Navman v2, which announced all the above perfectly.

Even though I am now not a CP5 user, I still feel very angry at ALK's complete disregard for their customers. No matter how good CP6 may be, I would not buy anything from ALK again.

Baz
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Functionaly I find CP5, like Ian does, superb. Its runs on my 2210, clip on BT like a dream. A 512 CF card seems to help as its fast and reliable. I prefer CP5s interface and screen menus over any other. There is no doubt that a large numebr of problems with PDAs and Sat Nav are to do with hardware/firmware setups. The problem that the various workarounds try to address is more fundentall than that and is to do with the routing program software. It is rubbish, without the planning facility on the PC it would be almost unusable. Indeed for some it is. Suggestions on altering the settings and parameters in the shortest/quickest algortham is not helpful as they only adjust specific types of routes. Out of all the packages this very basic fundamental function is by far the most important. Every other sat nav prog is far superior and all folk want is for ALK to put it right....as is their responsibility.

You cannot just get in your car and drive without knowing that the route you take will either be too long, illogical or just plain daft. No workaround from well meaning amateurs is going to fix that...unfortuantly.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza presents the facts in the balanced way that is needed. One point that he has not picked up, though, is that pre-planning journeys on the Desktop or Laptop PC is only of any use if the starts and destinations are known in advance. This particular "workaround", if that is what it is, will therefore be of no use to many drivers who, like me, have no choice but to input their routes on the hoof.

I would also add that if the "Shortest" and "Longest" routing problems are hardware induced then they are induced by Desktop and Pocket PCs alike. In other words, they are not hardware induced.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true. I think one of Ian's points was that on a basic hardware/software level CP5 is OK. The whole root (?) of the problem is the ability to plan on the move is useless because of the fundamental flaw in the program.

My "Workaround" should be in quotation marks.Its really only using a feature of CP5 not fixing a problem. I suppose its more of a compromise than a workaround. Which kind of reminds me of one of my earlier points. There can be no workarounds for a piece of software that is so broken. Everything is a compromise. Trouble is, for many many people, CP5 requires far more than other programs

Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous said

Quote:
Topgazza presents the facts in the balanced way that is needed

Topgazza said
Quote:
without the planning facility on the PC it would be almost unusable

Fact:
I rarely used the PC planning facility and it works fine for me.

Topgazza said
Quote:
You cannot just get in your car and drive without knowing that the route you take will either be too long, illogical or just plain daft

I assume that "You" means me as well.
Fact:
It works fine for me

Slagging the software off as if everyone is having the same problems is not balanced by any means. As I have said before, some people are having problems and some are not. I have no doubt that there are problems but to put it across as though everyone is having the same problem is wrong. As far as not labouring the point is concerned, read the numerous posts slagging Dave Burrows off and make up your own mind.

Dave
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
As I have said before, some people are having problems and some are not. I have no doubt that there are problems but to put it across as though everyone is having the same problem is wrong.

Ako,
I am a loyal and enthusiastic user of Copilot, starting with V3, but even I am disappointed in some of the flaws that seem to have crept into V5.

Have you often tried to find the shortest route while you are out on the road? The routing solutions can be very bad, worse than no solution. For those of us making many short trips on backroads CP has gotten worse.

If you are mostly looking for the quickest route on major highways CP is excellent. The dynamic re-routing is quick and mostly reliable, though I think some new flaws are seen here too.

Navigating to Contacts' addresses was always one of my favorite features, now there are bugs that can ruin these routing solutions too.

Even the strongest detractors of CP admire the features and the potential. Just the features of the desktop CP alone are practically worth the price to me, it is fantastic to browse into any neighborhood of USA or Europe in a couple of seconds, and get accurate trip estimates at least for major routes.

And the largest disappointment is that there has been almost no acknowledgment from ALK of any bug, or hint about what may be corrected in V5.

But I repeat that I am happy to use CP almost every day.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As am I Doug.....and Ako.

But really Ako try reading some of the key threads here. The lot of people aren't. Even I know the routing algorythm is utter rubbish. You eitehr drive only on main roads or local roads with little variation. There is NO way on this Earth you can use CP5 for any journey of more than a few miles, infact most journeys, without being "forced" to take some motorway biased route.

Look, I'm delighted you never have any problems and always seem to be routed in the best way possible. Fact is, not many others are and that applies to the USA and Australia. I've never made this personal as as for "slagging" of the software? I use it most days and all I do is realise is serious shortfalls. Explain why it takes me from Basingstoke to Coventry via the M4/M25 and then up the M40. Despite the obvious route being M4/A34/M40 and save about 55 miles. NO matter what type of route preference I choose. TT does it fine as does Navman, Garmin etc. Jeez, all folk are doing is highlighting the obvious to a corpse problem and getting frustrated with ALK and their pants service. Lighten up and I hope you get a good payrise from HR at ALK this year Smile

topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and even though I could afford to switch to TT I won't because I prefer CP5. As Doug said , for me as well, the PC planning bit is worth the money anyway. Perhaps CP5 should be marketed as a PC planned router only and not for the many that need to plan on the fly. Its a thought 'cos they could by a Garmin!

BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that CoPilot uses a right-handed algorithm which is never going to work in England and Ireland as long as you people persist in driving on the wrong side of the road?
Confused
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail on the head again, Topgazza. This is not personal, and that includes criticism of Dave Burrows's performance. Like the software, members of a forum team have to attain a standard of they are not to be critcised. To point the fact out when they do not reach these standards is not the same as calling their mothers rude names and the like.

Recent posts by members of the forum team on this thread and another lead me to wonder if things have really moved on. That is why I have raised the point again.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Ponderous.

Also, ex colonials like Doug (BMWbiker) raise an interesting point. Maybe CP5 has been written for LH drive cars only. Obviously in a fit of deep regret and bitterness at not being part of our glorious Commonwealth, unlike the clearly superior Canadians, ALK have deliberately written dodgy software. In a desperate attempt to have Brits completely lost whlist they ply our women folk with candy and nylons.

Now its all becoming clearer. Next thing we'll find all our tea tastes of sea water.

Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza wrote
Quote:
But really Ako try reading some of the key threads here

Do you really think I haven't been reading the threads?

Try a route from Manchester to Waterford in Ireland via Holyhead. Route looks OK to me. Not being more than a few miles I guess this route would be ok anyway (291.7 miles). I guess it could have taken me along the A525 then the A5 instead of the A55. That would have added a few miles eh?

Ponderous wrote
Quote:
This is not personal, and that includes criticism of Dave Burrows's performance

Giving someones email address publicly I think is personal. The continual striving to get Dave Burrows removed from being a moderator when he already had anyway, and the continued vehement criticism of his review has got personal. Problems or not, Dave did the review with the best will in the world and I don't think he has ever insisted that Copilot has not got any problems.

Dave
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:

Also, ex colonials like Doug (BMWbiker) raise an interesting point. Maybe CP5 has been written for LH drive cars only. ...In a desperate attempt to have Brits completely lost ...

My wondering here was not entirely in jest. Isn't it possible that the CP routing algorithm is worse in lands where you drive on the left side of the road? The writers could have made some bad assumptions about allowable turns.

While CP routing in the USA can be bad sometimes, it sounds nowhere near as wrong as some of the ridiculous routings you report in England.

Just a long shot....
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no good sucking in a gesture to get in our good books, its far too late for that. Wink

Actually I've always thought that the bias towards motorways in CP5 is a direct result of US written software. Having driven a lot in California, Tennessee and North Carolina virtually everywhere is reached by some sort of freeway. They are quite often the shortest AND fastest route. Not many people travel across country on smaller or country lanes. Its just too damn big to do that, would take too long and wouldn't make any sense for any other than very local trips. Off freeway roads aren't always the best, except in Knoxville, which was odd. Something to do with the way roads are funded between State and County budgets I was told?

Anyways thats my theory and until ALK write a version for UK/Europe that specifically deals with our more diverse roads it will always be a problem. Tweaking will just not be effective. Its much deeper in the program for that

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: