Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA maps bought on e-bay.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA maps bought on e-bay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: USA maps bought on e-bay. Reply with quote

I bought the 510 with all European maps from Halfords. I then bought on E-bay the box of 4 CD's for the USA which were sold as being sealed with product keys. The CD's arrived (not sealed) but no keys and I wonder how do I activate the maps over the internet which SmartST Desktop is insisting on?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the goods weren't delivered as described, I'd be inclined to send them back. However, have you contacted the seller and asked where the keys are?
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I e-mailed this morning but no reply. If I havn't heard by Tuesday I will send all info to E-bay. What makes me a little bit wary is the CD's were not sealed with a sticker as the European maps were. The CD's all look like the genuine article, it just is the fact that I cannot activate them.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just purchased a European Edition of the 510 and the mapping CD Roms did not have any activation keys with them nor did I have to enter any when installing any of the maps. I have also had my 510 unit replaced because the speaker jack went and this did not effect my ability to install my original maps onto my new unit. So what keys are you referring to?
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, neither did my European maps need activating because they were bought with the unit and therefore already "tied" to each other. If you bought maps for Timbuktoo you would normally buy the activation key together with the product. In my case, the box of CD's all looked as normal Navman but NO key to activate over the registration server at Navman HQ.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the mapping CD Rom's and the units can be tied to each other when bought together as in the "European Edition" because my unit was exchanged for a new one taken from a brand new "European Edition" box. Consequently I had no problems installing my original maps onto my new unit. However, I can see that if you buy mapping CD Roms separately then activation keys would be required as in any other software purchase. It would seem that your only course of action is to refer back to the seller. I'd be interested to know what response you get from eBay with your dispute being a regular eBay user. Best of luck.
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, the first thing I did when I got my unit home was to delete some of the UK areas off the card and then load in Southern France. At no time did it ask for the key(s) as SmartST Desktop said, when hovering over the areas with the mouse, that the map was on that particular CD and that it was registered.
I will let you know if I have to resort to the e-bay dispute system any outcome.
Meanwhile, all I want is to fire up California and plan a few trips!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy your 510 the maps are activated for the region you purchased. You can copy, removed and add maps to your hearts content from within the reqion woitout activation. If you get new maps, or updated maps from teh same region, you will need a key to activate them.
In the case of the US maps, without the key, the CD's are useless. Think of it this way - like any commercial software, the key is what you pay for. The CD's are just a way to get the maps to you. Unless the seller send you teh key - and he has not used it in a device already - you need to get your money back.
wafty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knows if a lil off topic if i had a usa navman and i wanted the eu maps on would i be able to buy an e u navman gib the key and take it back ? i know this is not legal but just saying hypotheticly would it be pos
paulhodson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very illegal and they would not take it back anyway once you had done this!
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering you would have to open the pack to get the key, I think they might be onto you.
bertybasset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have also bought a navman 510 from e-bay and with it i got usa maps included as 3 cd's on the back of these paper cd covers are a product key stuck on them did your cd's not have a product sticker on them
and does anyone know if you can buy just the uk maps as the full eu maps are £150
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but UK only maps, which includes the European (Major roads) Basemap, for £79. Personally, I'd rather pay the £149 and get the full monty.
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of my foolish belief that everything on Ebay was OK, I made a thorough search of GPS (Navman) units and map software that were on auction. All I would say on a public forum is, buyer beware! I am amazed at the ways some sellers either describe their product or more importantly are careful to omit certain facts. These are usually for example, where the product was originally obtained and/or what maps are included in the sale.
I warn anybody looking for a bargain on Ebay, if the price looks too good to be true, it probably means that it is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: