Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 3 screws up GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 3 screws up GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjotr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 3 screws up GPS? Reply with quote

I have an Acer N30 PDA with ROYALTEK RBT-1000 (bluetooth) which included Destinator Navigator 3.

I wanted to compare the functionality and use of Destinator with TTN3,
so I installed an "evaluation copy" of TTN3.
During installation it wanted me to choose from a list of GPS brands and types, so I chose Destinator GPS, type bluetooth GPS.
This did not work, so I change the type in something like "Bluetooth com5".
At first this seemed to work allright. It showed my homeaddress as actual position and the number of satellites it could find.
After a few hours it seemed as if the GPS was screwed up all together.
No BLue light flashing, no green light (for satellite finding) and only the battery charging light was lit up when it was charging and went off when taking it off the power supply. Also a hard reset of the PDA had no effect.
After re-installing Destinator there was only a very week connection with the GPS (still no lighs on th GPS) and of course no satellites.
I sent it to Acer for warranty and got a complete new set returned so they could not apparently do something with it.
Now I am afraid to install TTN3 again because it might screw up my GPS again.
Can anyone tell me if the screw-up must have been a coincidence or is it possible that TTN3 can do something to a GPS?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half and half

Part of it must have been coincidence, but on the other side we know that certain TomTom GPS drivers are blocking the BT GPS receiver from being used by other programs (liek your destiantor). Have a read in this forum on how to fix that.

Partly it is also your fault. By trying all the different connection settings you have allowed TomTom to reprogram the receiver. You should aviod that and instead only use the plain settings - Bluetooth COM5 on NMEA 38400, in your example. Otherwise you risk ending up with a receiver set to SiRF mode, or to have some important NMEA sequences disabled.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: