Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 3 & Garmin geko 201 - is it compatible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 3 & Garmin geko 201 - is it compatible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fev1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: tomtom 3 & Garmin geko 201 - is it compatible Reply with quote

Hi

I have just installed tomtom3 on my PDa (Acer N30) - but Geko 201 is not listed in GPS set up area - have tried NMEA 0183v2 4800 settings but nothing being recognised, even tried garmin etrex setting but still nothing.

Geko and PDA work fine together on Pocket Streets using same serial cables, but then it uses com port 1 - but on TomTom screen it does not show com 1 but does show com 3 - tried that but still no data stream.

have looked on PDa fo anything else using serial port but nothing obvious, turned off infrared beam - PDa has really only got th base software and tomtom installed - so can not see anoher program holding ontothe serial port

any ideas
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the setup is working with Pocket Streets, the chances are that you haven't shut down Pocket Streets correctly.

Be aware that, by default, the X in the top right doesn't close a program on Pocket PC - it minimises it. You can change this behaviour using various programs - my favourite is Spb Pocket Plus (not free, but there is a trial period and it's inexpensive to register).

COM3: won't work in TomTom GPS - that's the infrared port on most Pocket PCs. You need to select COM1:.

For now, I'd soft reset, then try to select COM1: in TomTom GPS. Be aware that if you have switchable datums on your Garmin, you need to select WGS84.

David
fev1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: still having problems Reply with quote

Started from scratch - removed tomtom 3 - did a soft boot - then reinstalled the software - everything goes fine until I try to find Com 1 its just not shown on the drop down menu of tomtom GPS -

i'm very new to PDA's (like since xmas) and this has me well confused
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of TomTom GPS have you got installed (look at the bottom of the first tab)?

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you need to remove TomTom ~ GPS as this not only causes Bluetooth mapping of com ports, but has been known to cause problems with COM 1 serial and that might be why you are not seeing it. Providing the Geko 201 is set to export NMEA IN/OUT on 4800 baud and you select NMEA0183v2 4800 COM1 in TomTom you should be setup ready to go.
fev1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom GPS is ver 3.03 - I tried removing tomtom GPS but now it just locks up.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!

I'd suggest making sure that TomTom ~ GPS has really gone before going any further. Try making sure Bluetooth is off, soft reset, Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, look for TomTom ~ GPS, tap Remove, tap OK if you're asked to. Repeat until TomTom ~ GPS no longer appears.

I'd then try GPS 3.07 to see if that works any better. If it doesn't work straight away, a single 'remove' as described above may or may not help. If 3.07 doesn't work, remove that completely and try GPS 2.07 (see our downloads area for that).

David
fev1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - this is what i have tried so far (but still have the same problem) - tomtom 3 instaled with GPS 2.09 (Com 1 not available) - removed GPS but TomTom locks up. Removed everything and reinstaled this time i updated GPS to 3.03 (still no Com1) updated to GPS 3.07 but still same problem.

Becasue i have installed and removed things so many times using softreset is it worth doing a hard reset to clear any regsitry setings and have a another go or is that not necesary.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're prepared to try a hard reset, it's certainly an option. Don't forget that you can use iPAQ Backup (or Sprite Backup if you've got it) to restore to where you were if you do hard reset.

I would start out by installing just TomTom GPS after your hard reset. If the version you try doesn't work, hard reset again and try another version. No need to mess around setting up partnerships - just use a Guest partnership to install the software. I'd try 3.07, then 2.07.

It really should work - after all, many people use serial GPS mice with their setups.

David
fev1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonights play time consisted of - hard reset then instaled GPS 3.03 no COM 1 given in the drop down list for NMEW 01832V2 4800.

So another hard reset and this time 3.07 still no joy and then another hard reset and 2.09 but stil no Com 1 serial port showing.

The options given are BT UART2, SC2410 USB CABLE,COM3, S2410 IRDA2410,S2410 UART0, S2410BT UART2, BLUETOOTH SERIAL COM6, BLUETOOTH SERIAL COM5

Is my best bet to go for a serial to usb converter and try that - ot am i being totally thick and doing something really stupid

thanks for all th help so far - sorry to be a pain in the neck on this

I suppose my other option is a new GPS either bluetooth or SD slot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: