Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 4 Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 4 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4 Question Reply with quote

Hi There,

I'm just making my final decison in changing my GPS from a Garmin SP3 to a Pocket PC based system I have a few questons I need help with regarding Navigon 4 :-

1. Is Mallorca on the European map? are there any POI's there?

2. I'm intending to get the Bluetooth, TMC version. Is it true you can use the Bluetooth GPS as a wired one as well? Does TMC work in the UK offically (the website doesn't seem to list the UK)?

3. What's the redraw time like in 3D? some of the reviews seem to think it's a bit slow.

Thanks for your help !!!

Chris
Omertron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon 4 Question Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
Hi There,

I'm just making my final decison in changing my GPS from a Garmin SP3 to a Pocket PC based system I have a few questons I need help with regarding Navigon 4 :-

1. Is Mallorca on the European map? are there any POI's there?

Yes Mallorca is there, seems reasonably detailed. Don't know about the POIs though.
chris_w wrote:

2. I'm intending to get the Bluetooth, TMC version. Is it true you can use the Bluetooth GPS as a wired one as well? Does TMC work in the UK offically (the website doesn't seem to list the UK)?

I don't know about the bluetooth, but I would assume so as the case does not differ (the BT bit is a plug in module) and the case has the connection to it for power and data.

TMC works fine in the UK, though you need to be able to receive Classic FM. See the TMC forum on this site for more info.
chris_w wrote:

3. What's the redraw time like in 3D? some of the reviews seem to think it's a bit slow.

Seems fine on my iPAQ 5550, but then I don't use it at all...
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon 4 Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!!!

Omertron wrote:

Yes Mallorca is there, seems reasonably detailed. Don't know about the POIs though.

Good news - Does this mean it will be able to calculate routes? Is POI data present?

Last question (promise) - how reliable is it? (In terms of HP Ipaq hanging, reliability of fixes etc...). I've currently got a Garmin SP3 which I trust - just want to make sure I'm not moving to something less reliable.

Thanks again,

Chris
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the PDA systems will knock the Garmin in to a cocked hat. I was very unimpressed with one in Canada, it was soo slow you had to stop for it to recalculate or it would never catch up, and it lost its destination several times after being switched off. The PDA is far quicker so does instant recalculations, and doesn't loose the route.

The underlying Pocket PC OS is crap as you'd expect from Microsoft, so the recommendation is not to fill it with lots of dodgy shareware, and reset it before starting the journey so you are just running sat nav software, and you wont get any trouble.

Cheers
---Dave
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

That was one of my main concerns - Yes the Garmin is slow but on the whole it's reliable.

As I don't run any SW on my PDA (HP iPAQ 4350 - Other than what comes with the OS) I'm sure I'll be OK on this score now.

Looking forward to carrying less around with me and getting TMC with it too!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: