Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPV C500: TomTom or CoPilot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPV C500: TomTom or CoPilot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c500pete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: SPV C500: TomTom or CoPilot? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've read all of the reviews on each, but is there a like for like comparison in a single review? I've avoided posting to try and learn as much as I can before bothering you, but I still have a few unanswered questions.

I'm trying to answer:

1) When the products are activated, does the activation tie the software to a single device? Obviously EULA applies and it will only be installed on one device at a time, but nice to know upgrade paths / restrictions if I choose to change my number or handset.

2) CoPilot is more expensive than TomTom, is the extra cost just in the difference in GPS module performance. IS this extra cost worth it?

3) With, for example, roundabouts (UK), do the maps accurately reflect the actual layout of the road. The screenshots I've seen don't seem to suggest this, yet I have found on previous in car sat nav devices, the road layout to a tricky junction is key in its presentation.

4) The POI is important to me (safety camera database). I know CP comes with it pre-installed, but the update process seems a pain. TT seems better in this respect.

I'm currently swaying towards TT (based on cost and ease of use). Is there anything else that justifies the extra cost of CP that I may have missed?

Thanks all.

Pete
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SPV C500: TomTom or CoPilot? Reply with quote

Welcome

I only have CoPilot 5 Smartphone so I can't answer your TT questions but here goes with the CoPilot related answers:

c500pete wrote:
1) When the products are activated, does the activation tie the software to a single device?

2) CoPilot is more expensive than TomTom, is the extra cost just in the difference in GPS module performance. IS this extra cost worth it?

3) do the maps accurately reflect the actual layout of the road.

4) The POI is important to me (safety camera database).

1) You can deactivate it if you need to install it on another device

2) Almost all of the GPS modules around today (except Garmin/Magellan/Silva) use the Sirf GPS chipset so there really isn't that much to choose between them. The main differerence between TT and CP is that TT use Teleatlas maps and CP use Navteq maps. Navteq maps are said to be more up to date and have better coverage (especially in Ireland where coverage is limited anyway).

3) YES. You get a nice close-up of the actual intersection/roundabout when you get close. This works fairly well, given the limitations of the small screen.

4) Yes, updating the POI in CP is a pain. This is just one of many bugs they need to fix.

Overall, I would not recommend CoPilot Smartphone. It has serious bugs and is bordering on not being "fit for purpose" in my opinion. ie:

1. Frequent application crashes while calculating routes
2. Announcements/POI alerts are sometimes missed for no apparent reason.
3. POIs disappear when you are moving
4. Map position doesn't update when speed < 5 MPH
5. Altitude reported is about 130 feet higher than reality
6. Track log files don't work properly (0 byte files)
7. Routing via "Shortest Route" ignores minor roads and doesn't actually give the shortest route
8. Address lookup in Dublin, Ireland and gives an error "Too many city matches. Please be more specific" Rolling Eyes
9. Technical support can't offer any advice about how to fix the problems (that's if they respond AT ALL)
c500pete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy.

That is a very useful summary of features, but more importantly bugs. I am always very wary of any software or hardware that doesn't perform as it should, as I always make the most out of the features available. If they don't work, I'll throw it away. But I hate wasting money too, and it would seem that CoPilot would be a waste of money until the faults are fixed.

Can anyone suggest if there are similar useability issues with TomTom, which is looking favourable at the moment?

Cheers,
Pete
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out http://www.mapopolis.com/ there is demo version (beta, but stable) for the Smartphone which is worth a look. You can try it without a GPS receiver if you don't already have one.
c500pete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Forgive me, but I've been unable to locate a thread with TomTom bugs listed. Would anyone know (or has maybe authored) of such a thread on this board to help me make my decision?

Thanks
Pete
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience after running CoPilot5 on a Mitac 168 for a couple of months are:

- Speed cameras for some strange reason are seldom announced on return journeys!
- Updating the POI files is a bit fiddly as they have to be loaded into the desktop version, then the entire map has to be downloaded to the SD card. Using a dedicated card reader rather than Active Synch only takes a few minutes though.
- the favourites file often gets deleted for no apparent reason...so keep a master copy available
- the desktop module contains maps for the whole of Europe and allows route planning with more fine tuning than is possible on the PDA. Any route can be saved on the destop and downloaded in to the PDA
- the dalek, robotic voice is a bit quirky with some of its pronounciations, but I like the fact it announces road names and numbers

I bought CP soley based on the glowing review on this site, though I wonder if TT would not have been a better choice. However, the ability to plan all routes (and generally play around) on the desktop is a feature I value greatly, and one which I believe is not available in TT.
c500pete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I want to order one or the other today. Are there any other inputs from people out there?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: