Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion MD9500 missing map areas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion MD9500 missing map areas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Medion MD9500 missing map areas Reply with quote

I am completely new to GPS systems and have purchased a Medion MD95000 from Aldi. It functions OK but I have found a large area of Cornwall that whereas you can see the area by scrolling down to it, when you point to a particular place the message comes "no address found". This is quite a large area and covers St Dennis down and past St Austell. At this time I am awaiting for a satisfactory response from Medion, but the last communication from them stated "I confirm and reiterate that your information has been collated with information from other customers and has been forwarded to the publishers of the map so they can make corrections in the next version of the product.

It's good to hear that you are otherwise satisfied with your purchase.

I hope this information is helpful to you but please feel free to
contact us again if problems persist or if you have further concerns or
questions."

This is far from satisfactory. Can you advise?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately your options are very limited. Even in the face of problems affecting quite large areas, it's very unusual for companies to issue free map upgrades. I've only known it happen once - the original TomTom Navigator USA maps led to what were reportedly severe routing issues for some, and the only way that could be fixed was to reissue the maps.

You aren't the first to report this problem. I'd be very surprised if the problem recurred in a future version, but if you need a fix now, especially if you're not prepared to wait for a few weeks to see if the software company do reissue the maps, your only options are to buy replacement software or return the whole system for a refund.

Your ability to put pressure on the software company is limited because you bought the software as part of a bundle rather than retail. It's unlikely that you'll get the same support from Navigon as you would if you bought their software retail.

David
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your very prompt answer. Would you think that the Tom Tom unit currently on sale at Currys for £399 (as of today) would be a better option?

regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that is the TomTom GO? Why not just but TomTom Navigator 3 software for your Medion PDA? You can happily install and run this using your current Medion hardware and GPS receiver.

In my opinion it is much more user friendly and uses a very similar interface to that on the GO unit.
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts. Where would one go for Tom Tom Navigator 3? Are there various versions of Tom Tom?

regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the software only version of TomTom Navigator 3 for PocketPC, try any of the retailers whoa dvertise on the right. e.g. Easy Devices.
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the software version only. Do I understand that means the software to make the Medion maps functional or does it mean complete with maps. i.e. does the version stated on the Easydevices site at £111.63 includes Navigator software with maps and that the maps provided by Mmedion are therefore obsolete? Forgive my total ignorance in this.

regards
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'software only' I mean the full TomTom navigator Software, i.e. Tomtom Application AND maps but without any GPS Hardware.

It does not use the Medion maps which as with all packages only work with their own application. If you choose to use an alternative to Medion then they will effectively become obsolete.
Wunay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt reply - much appreciated

regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: