Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to GPS, need some help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to GPS, need some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: New to GPS, need some help Reply with quote

Hello, Im buying an Ipaq 2210 this week and will get the carkit with TT3 in the next few weeks. Now I know I will have to subscribe to TomTom but how do I go about the GPS net connection? Ive had a quick look on google but couldnt realy find any info about it.

Thanks for any help
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to purchase the TomTom GPS package with software and GPS Mouse and this will plug into the TomTom Car Kit.
Burnah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i already know Ill need the kit and that, I just mean I know I will have to pay for a subscription to TT3, but will I also have to pay to be connnectted to the internet via GPS or whatever? Or will I just have to pay for the TT3 subscription?
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a subscription for Tom Tom Navigator - you buy it, install it, and use it. That's it. No more money needs to change hands Smile

Are you sure you're not talking about Tom Tom Traffic?

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about Tom Tom Traffic, I think you do have to pay Tom Tom a subscription. You also need a mobile phone which supports GPRS and a provider who allows you to use that service. There's no such thing as a free mobile phone service, so you will end up paying for that in one form or another.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burnah wrote:
Thanks for the reply, i already know Ill need the kit and that, I just mean I know I will have to pay for a subscription to TT3, but will I also have to pay to be connnectted to the internet via GPS or whatever? Or will I just have to pay for the TT3 subscription?

GPS reception is free, it does not require a subscription. All you need si a GPS receiver and some software and you're all sorted. People often confuse GPS (Global Positioning System) with GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) which is a data service used by cellphones, GPRS does require a valid service provider account.

As far as TomTom is concerned, the only subscription fees are those for use of the optional Traffic Service which overlays live traffic data on the map. This entails a subscription to TomTom for access to the service and you will also need a suitable cellphone witha valid GPRS data service.
Burnah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK first thanks for all the replies, its cleared it up a lot for me.
So basically I get all the required soft/hardware for TT3 and thats it, no subscription, but if I want the live traffic addon I have to pay TT for subscription and someone for GPRS access. I wont really be needing the live traffic so thats all good, but what about the speed camera bit, will that work without GPRS?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you download the Safety Camera database and install. No need for a GPRS service. We publish updates every month and all you do is download and install the latest update which contains the locations of all the cameras we have had reported to us.
Burnah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks alot for clearing that up mate. I can now get my Ipaq without any worries about TT!
Apart from that then is there any recomended software for the Ipaq anyone recomends?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: