Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how long does ASN hold the speed/direction ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how long does ASN hold the speed/direction ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Something like this , i guess

http://www.hobbico.com/accys/hcam4000.html

too big. I saw accelrometers that are little over a few millimeters in length though. in any event, I don't believe there are gyro's in it at all. I think it's only accelerometers.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:

They are sensative. To prove this, you only need to walk with the TT Go. I have a walking disability, but it still registers me at the blistering speed of 1mph

Are you sure that's not the GPS receiver registering the speed? Remember, this thread is about the ASN.

does it register speed or is it calculated from the changes of present position ? at my work, they only use the lat/long of GPS and calculate whatever needed to keep the aircraft flying.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be nitpicking, but gyros are always accelerometers. And the piezo gyros are very small - substantially less than an inch for the innards. And even though they are called Gyro they do not have any moving parts.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imapbox wrote:

does it register speed or is it calculated from the changes of present position ? at my work, they only use the lat/long of GPS and calculate whatever needed to keep the aircraft flying.

You can do it either way (but then you would need the VTG or RMC sequence from the receiver) Not sure how it is implemented in the GO, but I suspect they do it from the position difference.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
this may be nitpicking, but gyros are always accelerometers. And the piezo gyros are very small - substantially less than an inch for the innards. And even though they are called Gyro they do not have any moving parts.

a gyro itself doesn't have an accelerometer. if you want to do something useful with sensing directions, you do need accelerometers.

in fact, standby gyros on aircraft do not have any accelerometers installed. they only need a stable platform. that's it.

keep on nitpicking though Wink
Kaymo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest that gyro shown in the link to Hobbico is a really old unit. I fly RC helicopters where we use a gyro to help stabilize the tail and the modern units are a lot more sophisticated, and more expensive :D
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaymo1 wrote:

Just out of interest that gyro shown in the link to Hobbico is a really old unit. I fly RC helicopters where we use a gyro to help stabilize the tail and the modern units are a lot more sophisticated, and more expensive :D

and this model doesn't have accelerometers as it's not intended for navigation.

I saw very small accelerometers btw, a few millimeters long; probably pretty cheap to include in a nav-unit. hmm, when am I going to do the step of disassembly of the unit....
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, finally I got you on the right track. why don't we just go ahead and invent a 3D accelerometer ourselves that can be placed between the GPS receiver and the PDA, and that then "augments" the NMEA stream with its own data, for heading, steering, and altitude changes. wouldn't that be cool?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
ahh, finally I got you on the right track. why don't we just go ahead and invent a 3D accelerometer ourselves that can be placed between the GPS receiver and the PDA, and that then "augments" the NMEA stream with its own data, for heading, steering, and altitude changes. wouldn't that be cool?

what PDA ?

we don't even know the internals of the TTGO as of yet; the interest is there. don't even know if the GPS receiver sends NMEA data or proprietary (as with sirf* chipsets)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: