Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on SD Card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on SD Card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJSinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom on SD Card? Reply with quote

This may seem like a daft question, but here goes:

Is it possible to load TT3 onto either the SD or CF cards (the program rather than the maps) and will it then continue working after a hard reset?

If so does it affect the speed of the system?

The reason being is that I’m away for a week in Europe, and I have had a problem previously where my 2210 locked up completely, and the soft reset didn’t work, and I had to hard reset – this therefore lost all the TT3 program and it needed to be reinstalled via the PC. This wont be possible whilst away from home, but I don’t want to lose the program if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can install the application to a memory card, it's not supported and not advisable. Even then, if you have to Hard Reset it won't solve your problem as the installation writes to the Registry which is not on the storage card and is therefore lost in the reset.

The simple solution and one that I advise and practice is to configure your set-up and then perform a back-up using the supplied backup app to the storage card. This will then allow you to restore to the PPc following a Hard reset without the need for a PC etc in a couple of minutes.
CJSinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren,

when the unit locked up last time, I tried to back up from the PC from the backup file I'd previously produced after the hard reset - but for some reason it wouldn't recognise the backup file, it was almost as if the PC didn't recognise the iPaq and required it to be installed as a new unit (if that makes sense).

How large is the back up file when produced on the SD card (all i really have loaded on the iPaq is TT3, with the maps on SD and CF cards)

Thanks

Chris
CJSinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJSinn wrote:
Cheers Darren,

when the unit locked up last time, I tried to back up from the PC from the backup file I'd previously produced after the hard reset...

note to self - read reply befor submitting Rolling Eyes

what it should read is something like this:

I'd previously backed up onto my PC, but when i tried to re-install the back-up after the hard reset it wouldn't recognise the file...

Ta
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max size for the backup would be approx 64MB (roughly the max physical memory capacity of the 2210/2215) but in practice it's much less than that unless you have a very full PPC!

If you use the 'memory' applet to see how much storage and program memory is in use you will get a rough approximation of the amount of space required to complete a backup.

It's well worth doing as a restore from memory card is quick, simple and can be performed in the field.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJSinn wrote:
I'd previously backed up onto my PC, but when i tried to re-install the back-up after the hard reset it wouldn't recognise the file...
That's normal, and there are a couple of tricks to ensure it works more reliably - for example, if you have changed your Locale settings to UK (from the default US), you need to change it to UK again before the PC restore will work, otherwise the PC thinks it's a different PDA.

However, Darren is talking about backing up the internal storage to the SD or CF card and restoring this without needing a PC, which would seem to suit your needs more than the ActiveSync Backup you have used before. Most PPCs come with a built in Backup utility nowadays (although not all).
CJSinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

mines a newly bought 2210, and I'm pretty sure I can back up to the SD card.

I'm now just hoping I've got enough room on the cards for the maps and back up - however, I'm sure I don't need the whole of France, Germany and Benelux at the same time!

Cheers

Chris
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJSinn wrote:
I'm now just hoping I've got enough room on the cards for the maps and back up - however, I'm sure I don't need the whole of France, Germany and Benelux at the same time!
If it's any help, I found that with a few apps loaded into the internal storage, and a 128Mb SD card containing the TT2 UK maps, postcode database, and a large selection of POI files, I did not have enough room for the backup as well (as it was too big to fit into the ipaq storage area too. I ended up buying a 256Mb card (although I had a buyer for the 128Mb card to offset some of the costs).
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a good (e.g. Fuji) 256MB SD Card for around £30 - a small price to pay for the peace of mind and convenience of having your backup, maps etc all on one card.

(I got my Fuji 256MB from www.ebuyer.com for approx £30)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: